Kidney Bean Grover fetish??? Les Paul Historic question...

BostonGuitar

What color is the Custom?
I don't know what Gibson calls that color today. But that LP looks a lot like what vintage Pelham Blue looked like, after it faded and turned greenish. It seems like they tried to mimic that.

He is correct. It is called "Antiqued Pelham Blue" and is meant to capture what happens to pelham blue after 50 years. They actually painted it pelham blue and then added yellowing coats till it landed at the grennish tint you see in the pic. One of the nicest if not THE nicest opaques I have ever owned.

delron22

When I was a kid, that's what I did. Ream it and screw in Grovers. Heck, Jimmy Page's #1 has Grovers. Grovers must be the best. When I got my 97 Historic- it already had Grovers on it-Cool! When I got my 98 Historic I had it reamed out and put Grovers on it! When I got my 01 Historic I didn't do it right away. I realized the Grovers didn't add much of anything as far as functionality... It didn't tune better, it didn't stay in tune better- and as much as I hate to admit it- they take away some of the "airyness" in the LP tone. I never believed that tuners would make a difference on audible tone- but in the Grovered vs. non Grovered instruments (or more likely "high mass tuners" vs. "not high mass tuners") I get that.

I have not reamed out my 01 Historic. It is my favorite guitar and my favorite sounding guitar.

I fully believe that the reason so many LPs have changed tuners is because people don't get the inherent tuning problems with a pitched back headstock (what is it? 17 degrees?) Make sure the nut is cut right, make sure you have the nut slots lubed, try those "string saver" saddles- so the strings don't bind in the nut and on the saddles. That's where the tuning problems are- not "slipping" tuners.

I would STRONGLY recommend AGAINST reaming out your Gibson headstocks for Grovers.

Here's my very sad 1959 LP Special headstock...

I really wish I hadn't done that.
Nuff said - will leave the Klusons on : )

:agree

glaswerks

My R7 has Klusons and I like them (look and feel).

My 83 335 was stock with Grovers, so they will stay....

I like keeping my expensive/vintage stuff as original as possible. Now all bets are off on my cheapie Korean made sticks....

hippiebob

He is correct. It is called "Antiqued Pelham Blue" and is meant to capture what happens to pelham blue after 50 years. They actually painted it pelham blue and then added yellowing coats till it landed at the grennish tint you see in the pic. One of the nicest if not THE nicest opaques I have ever owned.
Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll be looking for one that color now too. GAS is getting expensive.

Devnor

I sure want to add bean tuners to my 07 Historic but the original tuners are fine...must be all in my head! :bong

Paul86

Can anybody post a picture of the headstock of an Oxblood, or any other Paul, with Schallers, please?

bobbymack

Gold Supporting Member
If you're a collector, leave them alone.

I play all my LPs out. Some of my very favorite Historics, including my R6, were from the 2001 and 2002 Custom Authentic runs with factory Grovers. I love 'em.

I have installed Grovers in my CR7 Goldtop, and my CR9 Cloud Nine Brockburst with zero regrets. It improved the tone of my CR7 which is now my best sounding humbucker Les Paul, and I'll never sell it (I know I know)...

Tone issues aside, I much prefer the smoother action and the higher gear ratio of the Grovers. To me they are more precise in dialing in the pitch, and they are extremely stable...though I agree that nut slots and proper string winding are really the keys to stable tuning.

If I have to take less when I sell so be it, it's worth it to me. In fact I have two sets of Gibson Historic klusons with Dead Mint Club knobs installed if anybody is interested...

Trending Topics