1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Kiesel Guitars = horrible customer relations !

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SteelerFan88, Jul 31, 2020.

1. SteelerFan88

SteelerFan88 Member

So.....I’ve been wanting to try a Kiesel guitar for a long while. Their quality seems good and prices are great from what I’ve seen. I had a few questions about their finishing options and process So I called their office. A person named “Mike“ took my call. I asked why their raw/hand rubbed finished guitars were not covered by the 10 day return policy like their other guitar’s were. His reply was “ sorry...it’s our policy.” I asked “why specifically?” He replied, “because Jeff Kiesel said so .” I asked if I could speak with Mr. Kiesel. Mike says ( and I quote) “ Jeff doesn’t take calls from the public !” I replied, “ your telling me the head and owner of your company doesn’t take questions or even talk with a perspective buyer about his company’s products ?” Mike says, “ NO HE DOES NOT.” I told Mike to pass on the message that I WAS planning on buying (2) guitars from them but after this experience and information I just had.....” Forget it !”
    I Then sent Friedman an email about their products (guitars) with a few questions and DAVE FRIEDMAN answered all my questions ! I ordered (2) Cali guitars from him on the spot ! . I wouldn’t buy a Kiesel product now if it were the only guitar maker on the planet ! WHAT A PISS-POOR way to respond to a perspective customer. I ended up spending a load of cash at Friedman and am glad I did !!!!!!! I foresee Kiesel going broke if they continue on that way of doing business. I could only imagine how horrible it would be to have to deal with them AFTER buying a guitar and needing them to honor their so called “ 10 day satisfaction return policy.” .....NO THANK YOU

direwolf, dg87, Ryno1331 and 25 others like this.
  2. Thwap

Thwap Gold Supporting Member

If you do a search, you'll find this is kinda par for the course there.

You'll like the friedman's better anyway.
    They're really putting out some cool stuff.
    Solid builds, I've played a half dozen or so, and really dig em.

3. SteelerFan88

SteelerFan88 Member

I really wanted to try a Kiesel Delos and Tele style but was floored by the rudeness of the guy on the phone and the fact he told me Jeff Kiesel doesnt take calls from the public ! I was like : “ screw your then !” You can kiss about $4000 goodbye now !

4. SteelerFan88

SteelerFan88 Member

If I owned and operated a company and one of my employees told a perspective client that crap.....I’d fire his ass on the spot !! but ....apparently that’s their “position” or idea of operations.....no danger of me ever doing business with them

5. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Oh boy, here we go again! Another person who called up, started questioning policies (I can imagine the tone that was used) and shockingly was not met with open arms and pleasantries.

The reality here is you called up, asked a question, got an answer that was in direct accordance with their policies, then decided to question the policy and pull the "let me speak to your manager" BS. Of course his sales guy is not going to go find the owner of the company so you can aggressively argue with him about his return policy :rotflmao

Wow, some people are really, truly something.

6. doc

doc Supporting Member

Not excusing any rudeness, and I'm aware there are other stories out there, and no skin in the game (not a Kiesel owner), BUT...
    If I were an owner/CEO of a medium to large company I wouldn't be expecting to field random calls about product from the general public. If it were a small mom/pop, then probably I would. I don't know where Kiesel stands on that axis.
    Ever try to talk over an iPhone issue with the CEO of Apple?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  7. SteelerFan88

SteelerFan88 Member

Interesting though.....I reached out to Friedman and DAVE FRIEDMAN talked to me. I called SUHR and got to talk with John. I called Soldano and spoke with Mike . It’s called proper and great business practices and that’s EXACTLY how it’s done to be A TRUE, HONEST and great business operator/owner

doctorx, hoohoodilly, SigXer and 18 others like this.
  8. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

They aren't a tiny company but they aren't huge either. I've spoken with Jeff myself on several occasions. But if you think you're going to call any company out there, ask a question about a policy, get an answer, and then that sales guy is going to go get the OWNER of the company so you can argue with him about the aforementioned policy..that's just not a thing that happens in real life.

Did you call those places, ask a salesman a policy question, not like the answer, and then ask to debate the policy with the owner? I doubt it. It's not that Jeff doesn't speak to people, it's that he wouldn't want to speak to you about this topic and Mike knew this...nor should he, since all you were planning on doing was arguing with him about a clause in the company's return policy.

I’m sure you know that even if you two did talk, Jeff wouldn’t have agreed to invalidate one of his company policies just for you. So, the reality of the situation is you already had 0 intention of purchasing anything and were just out for a squabble. Mike didn’t take the bait, Jeff didn’t take the bait, so Kiesel has terrible customer service. Sounds legit!

9. SteelerFan88

SteelerFan88 Member

There’s a pretty big difference between a Kiesel and APPLE Corp. lol

10. SteelerFan88

SteelerFan88 Member

Thing of it is....I wasn’t arguing....I just wanted an honest answer . I don’t think that’s asking for too much when Your thinking about spending several thousand dollars .

11. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

You got an honest answer to your question - Kiesel has set policies, they have their own reasons for various policies, and they don't have to justify them to a random person who calls on the phone demanding more information. Your question was answered, you just didn't like the answer and wanted to dig deeper...and a chat like that is CERTAINLY not something the owner of the company should be spending any time doing.

12. SteelerFan88

SteelerFan88 Member

I’ve done some researching on Kiesel’s customer relations after this incident and quickly realized they don’t have a very good reputation in that area since Jeff took over. After actually seeing him in a few videos .....lol . I understand now. He looks like a Dirty punk kid Off the street . Mark my words....they’ll be belly up before long

13. SteelerFan88

SteelerFan88 Member

Well....Dave Friedman had no problem taking time to talk to me ....that’s the difference between a true businessman who cares about his customer populous and punk kid who doesn’t IMO.

14. Monkeyboy23

Monkeyboy23 Member

15. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I feel like you sort of put your foot in your mouth with “here we go again”.

16. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Yeah, I’ve heard nothing but poor things about their service and a fair number of poor things about their guitars.

The CS rep should have expanded on some details for you and talked through their reasoning professionally.

BUT.....I think expecting to speak to an owner or ceo of a company is unreasonable. It’s awesome when it happens and the smaller company the better the likelihood for sure. I love companies where I can do that, but I would never expect it from any company except a one man operation.

I worked customer service at a decent sized company for a few years. Took tons of phone calls and emails every day and it’s amazing how many upset customers would ask to talk to the CEO when they had no valid reason or need to. In all my years doing it I only ever put one person through to that office.....it was Ethel Kennedy calling about something unrelated to customer service/business stuff.

17. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Nope, just meant that there are plenty of people exactly like this guy who come at a situation the entirely wrong way and then try to blame the company for not bending over backwards to appease them. Then we get these silly ranty threads that run unchecked and the company “develops a reputation” when 99% of their customers get flawless guitars they love and have zero issues. Nothing more nothing less :).

18. NunoVanbamsteen

NunoVanbamsteen Supporting Member

Jeff isn’t Dave, and you’re entitled to take your business where you want. Who goes to a forum and cries that their complaint wasn’t directly addressed by the CEO? I happen to know for a fact Jeff gets a lot of inquiries that are direct from the public, and I can wager that the number of crackpots is hard to take at times. Jeff puts himself out there a LOT and as a result he sees more BS and praise than a guy like Dave who does just a shade less on social media. The end result is a firewall between the CEO and the public, and that was Mike, your potential sales guy.
    You don’t have to like it, clearly, but you aren’t getting ahold of Steve Ballmer or Elon Musk if you have a problem with their stuff, either. If you really have to find out, wait for a live stream event and ask him directly when he opens himself up to direct questions. Otherwise write an email asking for further clarification. Either way, I’m not condoning them being so short with you, if that was even the case, but you expecting a certain level of access based on the money you were going to spend isn’t exactly always going to happen.

taking it to a forum is just another level of butthurt, imo.

19. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I know what you meant but that was seriously bad lead in.

tfblaster likes this.
  20. Bertiman

Bertiman Supporting Member

Bad customer service and an unreasonable request...