1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Kiesel Guitars = horrible customer relations !

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SteelerFan88, Jul 31, 2020.

1. mjross

mjross Member

Followers? Wow, now that’s sad! Sounds like someone else that f***ing up big time right now. Followers, that funny!

2. mjross

mjross Member

No! They just need to do the right thing. Simple as that. Then you don’t have to deescalate.

3. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Yeah but whats the right thing here?

4. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

I've never had a problem getting an answer from Carvin, Kiesel, or any other company about anything in 20+ years I've been buying guitars...because I don't call them with a nasty attitude or ask to argue a chunk of their return policy with the CEO of the company when I don't get my way or don't like something. If there's a clause in a return policy I don't like, or one that turns me away from ordering the guitar, I just avoid that nonreturnable option or I find a company whose policies align better with my desires/requests. Jeff has nothing to do with this, and probably isn't even aware that this call happened thanks to Mike who knew not to waste his time or escalate the situation by transferring this guy over to argue with him about a set in stone policy that wasn't going to be changed just for him regardless.

When someone on a call hears something they don't like and their first go-to is to demand that the owner be put on the line, it's not to politely request more information...it's to squabble with the owner over the policy. We all know it, so let's not pretend that isn't what was going to happen here had he been connected to Jeff. It's not about Mike not knowing the answer, I am sure that he did know it. It's that this person had no right to be angry with anyone in the first place over an explicitly stated policy just because he didn't like it and no right to demand to speak to the owner to argue about it. It's one thing for him to be a customer with an issue where this policy is preventing the resolution of that issue, but this was someone who just randomly called in poking around and hadn't spent a penny with the company. All we have to go on here is OP's one-sided account of what happened, and the handful of people in this thread that agree with him seem to be really willing to just swallow that hook, line, and sinker. Baffling.

Mike is also not just some "customer service" rep, he handles sales as well. When it became clear that the person on the line was not interested in purchasing anything but was just looking to argue about a clause in a return policy and waste time (both his and Jeff's), he rightfully shut it down. If they all took their time fielding these types of calls from everyone who called in, they'd never have time to actually run the business. Imagine being a customer with an urgent matter or something that was time sensitive and you have to wait to talk to someone because they're tied up with this.

I am willing to bet that OP did not call and politely request this information only to get that kind of reply from Mike, if it happened at all. You're coming to this train wreck about 15 pages too late, but if you had seen some of his previous uh let's just say "colorful" posts that our mods had to delete...you would understand this person's attitude and how this call likely went.

The problem is that it seems like you think a person (who isn't even a customer) demanding to speak to the owner with plans to do nothing more than argue over an established policy needs to be "placated" by Kiesel staff, and I don't agree. They don't owe him anything, and if you come at someone disrespectfully you can't expect them to welcome your behavior with open arms.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Did you just call a group of people "sexist a**wipes" based on a conversation you had with one person years ago? :facepalm

6. Ryan x Decent

Ryan x Decent Member

Maybe OP had an attitude on the phone and the employee didn't feel like dealing with it. Customer service is essential, but so is making sure your employees aren't abused by customers also. Keep in mind we're only hearing one side.

NunoVanbamsteen likes this.
  7. tarheelalum

tarheelalum Member

Carvin/Kiesel has always had a rep for not so great customer service. Also hit and miss in their quality control as well.

hookakat1, kebotrans and mjross like this.
  8. Nickstermc

Nickstermc Member

I’ve been checking out with interest what Kiesel are doing for over a year or two now. A good few of the folks that are pushing the envelope on the instrument are playing Keisel. And I mean REALLY pushing it. If you’re excited about guitar playing, guys like Wes Thrailkill are opening my eyes big time. I’m a traditionalist, raised in the 80s but I could see myself grabbing one of their headless guitars. They look amazing and I think they are pushing the instrument forward in a really positive way and not living in the past. Their product line inspires me in a way that no other guitar manufacture has for years. By all accounts the main man may be a bit awkward but I can live with that.
    I think they’re going to wipe the floor. I’m not surprised their orders are through the roof. My kids don’t want to play my classic strats and Les Pauls. They want something that’s new.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  9. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Yes, one of the results of the great "participation trophy" experiment.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

But there's a mindset that thinks it's going to argue it's way into getting whatever it wants, and thinks it's entitled to do so. Apparently the guys at Kiesel don't want to deal with someone with that mindset, and I don't blame them.

10. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Yeah, if I were going to try a headless guitar, I'd definitely go Kiesel.
    I've also never owned a neck through instrument, and would like to give their DC600 model a try, but I need to sell something from the stable first...

HoboMan and customguitars87 like this.
  11. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

Just restating something I said earlier....this is all assuming the OPs story is real. I don't believe so, too many holes not the least of which he claims this is all about an option that simply doesn't exist in the first place. There is no "Hand Rubbed Finish" in the builder for any guitar model, he would have be told just that. The other closest options essentially state why they are nonreturnable right there in the builder.

pfrischmann and freedom's door like this.
  12. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

Love this :)

13. mjross

mjross Member

Did someone say Headless. If you can, try a GM7TA Steinberger. Or better yet a GM1TA, THE original Headless guitar! Kiesel makes great guitars but there’s nothing like a good Berger! It’s kinda that Harley thing... if I have to explain to ya.......blah, blah, blah thing.

14. PRW

PRW Member

This plus infinity ... reality in the year 2020, the customer is not always right, although with the advent of social media that allows people to be heard who really have no business being heard, that's tough to make stick.

15. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Member

I'm indifferent to people who deal with Kiesel the way I am to people who go skydiving; whether they're happy with the end result or not, they knew (or should have known) the pros and cons going in, so it's entirely on them.

16. PRW

PRW Member

Just thought about something ... I wonder what the odds are of an even stronger reaction if somebody calls John Hall at Rickenbacker with such requests ... I've heard his wife (who's a partner in the company) can get really salty with such callers, or with people actually trying to knock on the door to get into the place for such things (which I believe has happened).

17. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

For sure. The thing I find the funniest about this whole situation is that the couple of people who are like "I WILL NEVER SHOP WITH KIESEL AS A RESULT OF READING ABOUT THIS EXPERIENCE" aka the people who agree with OP's behavior are the very same people Kiesel is actively working to avoid as customers. Talk about a welcome threat :rotflmao

eclecto-acoustic likes this.
  18. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Even if you do the right thing all the time, you will still have to de-escalate. You will get calls from people who have completely unreasonable expectations and no connection with reality. As a customer service rep, your job is to do your best to talk them off the ledge and be really nice about it.

rhinocaster likes this.
  19. Arcadia

Arcadia Supporting Member

Whoooosh.

20. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Yep....if you've never been on the other side of the telephone with this stuff, it can be hard to understand.