• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Kiesel Sends Cease & Desist to Harley Benton

Awesome. I don't doubt your experience. I didn't say all people would be confused. If you are on here, you are part of the more informed guitar buying crowd. You are someone who gets into the details. I was referring to the more general guitar buying public. Now, Kiesel's sales model makes it difficult to be confused during a new purchase but I could see situations where someone not in-the-know could be fooled on a used purchase. However, that could easily be offset by doing a basic amount of research. I don't see HB as being egregious thieves. I was just commenting on how similar they looked to me at first glance and that some of the more average guitar buyers could be fooled.
I was making a funny. :D

indeedido

Silver Supporting Member
Who is Harley Benton the person, though? If there isn't one, why name the company Harley Benton? I find that kind of silly.

In case you haven't guessed, I don't particularly take the brand seriously as a guitar company.
I imagine it was dreamed up by marketing. "How can we export this to America? We can't call it Das Lederhosen, needs to sound english and draw upon their greed and lust. They like Harley Davidson so let's use Harley. They equate a Bentley to a fine precision car but Harley Bentley doesn't fall off the tongue, how about Harley Benton!" LOL

Kyss

I used to be on Kiesel's side on this whole ordeal, but after reading some posts of them not treating some of their customers nicely who had issues with their instruments + now this, i see them almost in a same light than Gibson.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
There's a big difference between objecting to someone profiting from a close copy of one of your designs and trying to claim ownership of a headless Strat. The HB is a direct copy of an original design, so I don't see any reason why Kiesel shouldn't object - if there's a market for budget versions of Kiesel designs then licence it from Kiesel, don't just help yourself.

Gibson's issue is they're trying to reclaim ownership of designs that they did little to protect for many years. In the EU at least there's as fair usage defence that if your company has been making something that's gone unchallenged in plain view of the company with a claim to the original design them then they can't take away your livelihood with a sudden change of heart. I do have a bit of sympathy for Gibson but if you've let people make Gibson copies for the best part of fifty years it's a bit much to turn round and start picking off companies that have built what they understood to be a legitimate business.

It's notable that Rickenbacker copies get shut down pretty damn quickly - that would be a good example of a company that have always (more or less) successfully defended their designs.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
This is great fodder for another totally uninteresting episode of the guitologist
We can always discuss your eyebrows again, but I'm not sure what more there is to say.

Maybe if you came up with a unique new way to trim/style them?

If you do, be sure and submit a patent. That way you can start a thread about a cease and desist letter when someone copies your cool new look.

Hoodoo Man

Just in case any one missed last week riveting episode of The Guitologist, I'll summarise it for you.

Guitologist: They took yer jerbs?
Kiesel guy: They took er jerbs!

Next week on The Guitologist...

Guitologist: They took yer jerbs?
Harley Benton guy: Sie nahmen unsere Jerbs!

aynirar27

TGP Influencer
Platinum Supporting Member
We can always discuss your eyebrows again, but I'm not sure what more there is to say.

Maybe if you came up with a unique new way to trim/style them?

If you do, be sure and submit a patent. That way you can start a thread about a cease and desist letter when someone copies your cool new look.
I actually trimmed them the other day and noticed some greys poking through.
I’m not thrilled by it
I’ve found that I’ve been to busy to start threads about such things lately though. I won’t start a thread unless I can dedicate enough time to keep it at the quality I’m known for. That’s the aynirar promise

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I actually trimmed them the other day and noticed some greys poking through.
I’m not thrilled by it
I’ve found that I’ve been to busy to start threads about such things lately though. I won’t start a thread unless I can dedicate enough time to keep it at the quality I’m known for. That’s the aynirar promise
I've always assumed that's the aynirar guarantee.

Sorry about the grey, bro.

This just in: Harley Benton has turned around and filed a cease and desist order against the estate of "The King" Harley Race for the patent infringement of "being awesome".

The estate has since responded that the cease and desist order is groundless because Harley Benton has no patent on being awesome, nor is there any evidence that such a quality applies to Harley Benton in the first place.

Godspeed, King.

indeedido

Silver Supporting Member
There's a big difference between objecting to someone profiting from a close copy of one of your designs and trying to claim ownership of a headless Strat. The HB is a direct copy of an original design, so I don't see any reason why Kiesel shouldn't object -
They didn't invent the Strat or the headless design. They put them together. Wow, they are pioneers! Maybe if I put a headless neck on (insert guitar here) I can....nah I don't really care, just bustin' your balls. No horse in this race. :bonk:drink:console

Trending Topics