Kiesel Sends Cease & Desist to Harley Benton

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mrilo, Feb 27, 2020.

1. indeedido

indeedido Supporting Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    They didn't invent the Strat or the headless design. They put them together. Wow, they are pioneers! Maybe if I put a headless neck on (insert guitar here) I can....nah I don't really care, just bustin' your balls. No horse in this race. :bonk:drink:console

Baron Waterpark and Jayyj like this.
  2. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Ehh, not a lawyer and haven't read the exact wording of the letter, but I don't think Kiesel has a case.

I get why they sent it. You go to the trouble of getting a patent, trademark, etc and want to keep it, you have to try to defend it.

But headless has been around for decades. And I would treat a scallop at the tail like they treat the shapes of headstocks. The function is common and open to everyone, but the shape can't be the same. HB's is different enough.

Baron Waterpark likes this.
  3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

A headless super-strat? If only Steinberger had gotten there first... What?! You mean Gibson owns Steinberger?
    Sounds like Gibson needs to send Kiesel and Harley Benton a Cease And Desist.

[​IMG]

4. CjRuckus

CjRuckus Member

So they are profling guitars like Kemper?

5. lizardking

lizardking Member

So, someone made a copy of a copy of a shelved guitar?

uab9253 likes this.
  6. Alexa run my life

Alexa run my life Member

If it even has one ;)

7. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Gibson really opened a can of worms within the guitar industry with all these frivolous lawsuits. Whatever happened to who ever makes the best guitar wins? I mean when headless guitars started Steinberger, to my knowledge, they did not sue Kramer and Washburn. They did get smart though with licensing their bridges out to Hohner and Cort later on.

Average Joe likes this.
  8. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

I believe Nissan was the first to start that design in the early 2000's. Now its like the standard shape.

9. nowhere

nowhere Member

You understand how a design patent works and how it differs from functional patents and trademarks! That makes two of us at least...

10. 108

108 Member

Kiesel is a garbage company. This is not a surprise.

11. Slapshot1977

Slapshot1977 Member

They have to protect their IP. Makes sense to me. Gibson, on the other hand, didn’t do that for decades and then on a whim tried to start enforcing it. Too late, chump.

12. diego

diego Member

FWIW, my HB Dullahan won't fit in my headless Kiesel bag, it's a wee bit too big. I originally thought of calling and asking if it would fit - thinking the Osiris had it's own bag (not true), but now I'm glad I tried it myself first.

On first blush, I was more struck by the similarities of the headpiece, the locks on it, and the bridge, with Strandberg's designs.

I hope Jeff K. isn't working customs next week when the second HBD I ordered comes through.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Calebz and Roark like this.
  13. Baron Waterpark

Baron Waterpark Member

The Harley Benton looks just like a super-strat without a head, neither of which are Kiesel patents. Once again Jeff Kiesel proves how tasteless and attention seeking he is. I will never buy one of his ugly guitars.

hippieboy likes this.
  14. Baron Waterpark

Baron Waterpark Member

Oh I'm sure they did, they design the ugliest guitars possible which does count as novel, in a way.

uab9253 likes this.
  15. VintagePlayerStrat

VintagePlayerStrat Supporting Member

Hate to say I told ya so but ...

16. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

You missed the part where HB's guitar looks exactly like Kiesel's with different hardware, whereas Kiesel's guitars look nothing like Gibson's ;).

lizardking and smallbutmighty like this.
  17. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

You're 100% correct, ALL of these companies are getting & even worse taking seriously bad advice! This is business 101 first year of business school I have no clue what I'm doing but these guys are wearing suits so they must be smart.

I have no idea who these guys are but I hope they have bottomless pockets because Gibson & Fender do, these guys are building pretty much exact copies of LP's, Jr's, Strat's & Tele's. Gibson has no shot against dean but they have a great chance of upending these amateurs.

If you walk past a rattlesnake keep walking don't get a stick & poke it!

18. GreatSatan

GreatSatan Member

well keisel, unlike gibson, intend to maintain a steady history of protecting their copyrite, which is something you actually have to do if you ever want to enforce a patent (& it just so happens that keisel patented headless strats).
    Gibson have been somewhat inconsistent maintaining it these last few decades, though i believe they won on the headstock.

Average Joe likes this.
  19. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

I'm surprised Jeff had time to even notice, what with the hours it must require to come up with new and innovative designs. o_O
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moving beyond the obvious comparison to Knagg's Severn, when it comes to a front body cavity for a bridge, Jackson would like to welcome Kiesel to the year 1988.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    lizardking, uab9253, LCW and 2 others like this.
  20. Hoodoo Man

Hoodoo Man Member

I'm no law scientist but surely Harley Benton could argue "prior art". It's one thing getting a design past a patent clerk, another if it will stand up in court.