Kiesel Sends Cease & Desist to Harley Benton

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mrilo, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

I'm talking the money they have...

2. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

At least Kiesel isn't waiting 40 years to get around to making copyright claims.

Average Joe likes this.
  3. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

Does that mean lawyers are no longer part of the human race?

4. Dr Bonkers

Dr Bonkers Vendor

Here's the theme song for this case:

hippieboy likes this.
  5. Old Fart Thrasher

Old Fart Thrasher Member

Is it possible that they all came to this shape and wheelbase due to things like aerodynamics, being AWD needing room for a drivetrain, seats 5-7, certain sized motor to get decent fuel economy for all of those demands. Well guess what, thats a huge market and the manufacturers are going to offer the best sum of all parts.

Just like a guitar manufacturer.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  6. Cheddar Kung Pao

Cheddar Kung Pao Member

internet commenters are acting like internet commenters? Why is this something we're all so shocked and outraged by?

metropolis_4 likes this.
  7. Rahwana Putih

Rahwana Putih Member

Knaggs is a "PRS copy", the bodyshape looks more like a PRS than a Kiesel.
    well, Joe Knaggs is a former PRS employee tho.

hippieboy likes this.
  8. WhiskeyWhiskers

WhiskeyWhiskers Member

Most of Kiegal’s guitars look like they were designed by a can of mountain dew.

9. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

That Kiesel with the exposed wood arm contour is a direct, uninspired derivative of Joe's design. You're correct with his connection to PRS, though it's not really a copy. The design WAS a PRS all on its own :p that being 2008's private stock Chesapeake Severn.
    [​IMG]

John C, hippieboy and LCW like this.
  10. bracky72

bracky72 Member

Bottom line is Kiesel is Conducting business in a proper legal manner. Gibson did not. Oops.

11. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Name the brand? Probably not. Tell them apart? Yes.

12. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

I think you underestimate how much the average person cares about cars.

I've met people that, unless they were side by side, cannot tell two silver sedans apart because they've walked to the wrong car more than once thinking it's mine.

And that's really the whole thing, if they have to be side by side, then the shape itself isnt truly defining of the brand, it's the finer details. if you strip all the logos, most people cant tell a toyota from a Honda.

Only guitar nerds will be able to tell a PRS body from a kiesel without the headstock, or an ibanez from a jackson, a fender from a g&l.

Most people are going to hit you with strat / les paul / "it's a guitar"

That suggests to me that the consumer decision making comes down to brand name on the headstock for guitar nerds, and for non guitar nerds its "Well they're the same shape why is one $3,000 and the other $300?"

13. John C

John C Silver Supporting Member

If I'm remembering correctly PRS was going to build Joe's designs under the "Chesapeake" name. When PRS chose to not move forward with the Chesapeake line Paul and Joe agreed to part ways so Joe could start his own company to build his designs.

14. Rahwana Putih

Rahwana Putih Member

yes, that's why I put quote on that, they're basically a flat top PRS. IIRC Joe Knaggs design the Mira and Starla too.
    I think copying the exposed wood contour style from Kiesel is just like copying arched top from Gibson's Les Paul, or arm contour from Fender's Stratocaster. as long as they're not a carbon copy, it should be fine.
    the are another manufacturer doing that exposed wood contour like Ibanez and Skervesen.

15. Imiss85

Imiss85 Member

Will be interesting to see how this pans out. I'll say this. I bought one of those Harley Benton LP types because I wanted one to gig that I didn't worry about getting knocked around or stolen. Planned on ripping out tuners, PUPS, bridge etc. I haven't changed a thing. It's the slash style, really, really good guitar for under three bills. The nut was sloppy but that was really it, and an easy fix. My guess is when I get bored and start updating, it will scream. Nothing beats the real thing, but for that application, I can't drag around a couple of #$2500+ instruments.

16. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Gold Supporting Member

I didn’t read the entire thread, so apologies to any one who already picked this low hanging fruit: I saw the letter from Kiesel, it starts out, Hey Pot, this is Kettle!

17. diego

diego Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020