• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Killer Amp Sale at Sweetwater - Supro Saturn Reverb MKII 25 Version - $799.99

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone? I’d like to know too. Especially interested to know if it also has the same abundance of bass. This is a great sounding amp for sure, but if I can’t find a speaker or other way to tame the bass I’m going to have to move it.

Anyone? I’d like to know too. Especially interested to know if it also has the same abundance of bass. This is a great sounding amp for sure, but if I can’t find a speaker or other way to tame the bass I’m going to have to move it.
The speaker thing I've learned to live with. For one, it's not nearly as bad with single coils as it is with humbuckers. BUT, I have found relief with the right EQ/boost pedals, or else cranking it (when no one else is home). With a Jazzmaster or Strat, it is awesome. Plus, playing in a small room and/or with the amp against a wall, the bass seems far more prominent than in a bigger venue. I used to think my TSA had decent bass response until I played it in a big room and it sounded pretty gutless. What I have noticed, and what I try to tame if I can, is the low-mids. It does not naturally have a crystal clear, scooped sound like a DRRI but you can get that sound with an EQ pedal pretty easily.

New Saturn MKII sound clip. Post yours so other folks can hear what they missed out on!

Edit: It's just a riff that repeats a bunch of times. Wasn't planning to post it when I first recorded it but thought, hey, what the heck.

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
I finally resolved my bass issue. I’m using a JJ 5751 in V1 and replaced the Supro BD12 speaker with Warehouse G12C. Still have to turn the bass down and treble up a bit, but now EQ’s are effective. No need for outboard EQ’s and to me the amp sounds better. I as ready to sale, but am glad I kept it.

I finally resolved my bass issue. I’m using a JJ 5751 in V1 and replaced the Supro BD12 speaker with Warehouse G12C. Still have to turn the bass down and treble up a bit, but now EQ’s are effective. No need for outboard EQ’s and to me the amp sounds better. I as ready to sale, but am glad I kept it.
Nice! What made you go with the G12C? Any other change in tone besides making the EQ more effective? Have you had a chance to crank it?

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
Nice! What made you go with the G12C? Any other change in tone besides making the EQ more effective? Have you had a chance to crank it?
I had it available and remembered it had an extended high frequency range and a tighter bass than the BD 12 so decided to give it a go. And to my ears, this was the right speaker for this amp.

I have cranked it and it breaks up a little earlier, even with the 5751. But, it’s more focused, tighter and more detailed to my ear. Turn the bass up and it’s still there, but all the way down the bass is totally controlled.

I live in the class A mode now and it sounds great. Before I primarily used the A/B. Before the swap I found The amp to be a little dark with excessive bass. These changes fixed that. Now my normal settings are bass 8-9 o’clock and treble at 1 o’clock.

YMMV, but works for me. And no outboard EQ’s = better tone IMO.

I had it available and remembered it had an extended high frequency range and a tighter bass than the BD 12 so decided to give it a go. And to my ears, this was the right speaker for this amp.

I have cranked it and it breaks up a little earlier, even with the 5751. But, it’s more focused, tighter and more detailed to my ear. Turn the bass up and it’s still there, but all the way down the bass is totally controlled.

I live in the class A mode now and it sounds great. Before I primarily used the A/B. Before the swap I found The amp to be a little dark with excessive bass. These changes fixed that. Now my normal settings are bass 8-9 o’clock and treble at 1 o’clock.

YMMV, but works for me. And no outboard EQ’s = better tone IMO.
Did you played the amp in an open room before you swapped speakers? I went to jam with a friend last night and the bass became far more usable than it seemed against a wall in my little office. With my JM, I was turning the bass up to noon and it sounded fantastic. I'm still in love with this amp.

Jack Dotson

Silver Supporting Member
The room I normally play in is ~ 14’ x 18’ x 12’. Decent size room with high ceilings. Moving the amp to the middle of the room makes a difference for sure. But, the bass is still there if I want it. Just at a higher setting. The difference is when the bass is turned down. Before there was too much bass at the minimum setting; not now. And it’s not as dark. Used to keep the treble close to maximum. In a nut shell, the EQ’s are now effective and more like what I’m used to. And I agree, this is a great amp. Especially at what we got them for.

Gretsch01

Got one of these for $719 at Sweetwater. What a club amp! I play only Gretsch guitars and it’s fantastic. It’s a little boomy like y’all said, but I’m the type to crank the treble and go have fun.
My issue is that it’s a Supro. It’s unfair for me to want it to act like a Deluxe Reverb or a Marshall. It’s it’s own bag.

Got one of these for $719 at Sweetwater. What a club amp! I play only Gretsch guitars and it’s fantastic. It’s a little boomy like y’all said, but I’m the type to crank the treble and go have fun.
My issue is that it’s a Supro. It’s unfair for me to want it to act like a Deluxe Reverb or a Marshall. It’s it’s own bag.
Awesome! I've been really curious to know what Filtertrons sound like with this amp. My next guitar will hopefully be a Tennessee Rose or some other Gretsch Pro.

msquared

Silver Supporting Member
I really love the bass response. It's available when necessary (eg. when playing outside) and if not, I can back way off of the bass knob and it's fine. It sounds good when turned up and doesn't really detract from the sound of the amp as a whole. This is how I would have designed this amp if I'd been manning the drawing board, TBH.

I'm still loving mine and am playing it pretty much daily. I started out with a whole board full of pedals in front of it but have dialed it back to a treble booster and a phaser for the most part.

I did it. I really did it. I found THE SOUND. The dirty low-mid gain rock and roll sound I've been chasing all this time. I got a Seymour Duncan Forza a little while back in a trade, and it pairs so bloody well with the Saturn. It clears up muddy PAFs, it's got a huge 37db boost range, and the overdrive...oh man. It can do the treble booster thing, and the more I crank the treble pot (2.1khz), the sweeter it sounds. Tonight, it was better than ever since I maxed out the treble and rolled off the bass to about 10 o'clock, mids about 11 o'clock. Sorta Led Zep, sorta Rolling Stones, 100% amazing. I've always liked how this amp and pedal sounds, but it scratched an itch I've had since I got back into guitar in a way nothing has ever since. I figured you folks get what I'm saying and know that feeling. Can't recommend the Forza enough if you're looking for a great clean boost to mid gain pedal for this amp. I still feel tingly...

Mincer

I did it. I really did it. I found THE SOUND. The dirty low-mid gain rock and roll sound I've been chasing all this time. I got a Seymour Duncan Forza a little while back in a trade, and it pairs so bloody well with the Saturn. It clears up muddy PAFs, it's got a huge 37db boost range, and the overdrive...oh man. It can do the treble booster thing, and the more I crank the treble pot (2.1khz), the sweeter it sounds. Tonight, it was better than ever since I maxed out the treble and rolled off the bass to about 10 o'clock, mids about 11 o'clock. Sorta Led Zep, sorta Rolling Stones, 100% amazing. I've always liked how this amp and pedal sounds, but it scratched an itch I've had since I got back into guitar in a way nothing has ever since. I figured you folks get what I'm saying and know that feeling. Can't recommend the Forza enough if you're looking for a great clean boost to mid gain pedal for this amp. I still feel tingly...
You don't hear about the Forza a lot, but if anyone is sick of the TS-based 'super mids/low bass' thing, the Forza tends to overdrive without strange EQ bumps.

glumlord

if I hadn't just bought a Bogner New Yorker I would be all over that MK I with the 6973's and Tube Recto.

So do we think this is going to be a recurring thing for Supro? They seem to Discontinue models rather quickly, but then Sweetwater lists certain ones in extremely small batches. If they ever end up doing this with the Tremo-Verb I don't think I'll be able to resist.

Trending Topics