Killer Guitar Components Are Thieves.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Reviews' started by Infi-del, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Infi-del

Infi-del Supporting Member

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone that might consider doing anything custom with KGC. I spoke with Rick Peek and ordered a custom made brass bridge for my hardtail Stratocaster back in October of 2016. He immediately invoiced me for $208.00 which I paid via paypal. He said it would take 3 to 6 weeks to do because he was slammed. I was fine with that. Middle of December (about 8 weeks later) I called to check on the status. He said he was having machine troubles that slowed him down and for me to check back in January. Again, no problem.. I'm a very easy person to work with and I understand things happen and you can't plan for every problem. I call back in January... get the voicemail. Leave several messages and no call back. Send a few emails and no reply.

I'm an accountant and got super busy after that until the middle of April. Started calling and emailing him again. Nothing. No response no answer nothing. I finally left him an ultimatum 2 weeks ago and said I needed him to call me or I was gonna open a Paypal claim. So here I am waiting on them to reverse the charges.

Just wanted to share my terrible experience with this company. At this point they've stolen my money via deception and I'm trying to get it back. Your mileage may vary. I for one will NEVER deal with them again.

vintagelove likes this.
  2. doc

doc Member

I also had a frustrating experience with them. They're the only source I've found for a replacement upgrade block for a Takeuchi Floyd. I ordered one and waited patiently. It took a number of emails and close to a year, but they finally sent it. It was a nice block and worked well, and I have another Takeuchi Floyd I'd like to upgrade and had planned to get another if this one was good, but after the difficulty getting the first one I haven't placed the order. Hope they eventually make it right for you. I can understand if you're a small Mom & Pop company and your head is oriented toward being a good machinist rather than focused on business you might be a bit slow or have less than stellar customer service skills, but in our sample of 2 its not looking good. Let us know if they straighten it out.

3. Infi-del

Paypal reversed the charge and only then did Rick Peek email me. He gave me a sob story about personal problems he'd been having. I flat out told him that I would have been understanding about all that and willing to wait if he'd just replied to my many emails and voicemails. I understand people have problems and things happen. But taking someone's money and then NEVER responding is simply terrible business. At that point I didn't feel like I could trust him to make good. I just knew if I canceled the paypal claim it'd be another 6 months of excuses.

Yam the BOMB likes this.
  4. darthphineas

darthphineas Member

I can feel ya on that one. I also have a Takeuchi FR. I was lucky and found a dude machining blocks out of his garage that made one for me. last I knew, his business got so busy that he started to get behind and just stopped messing with it... otherwise, I'd shoot you his way.

5. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

People that operate like that are the scum of the Earth. Ignore all your repeated contacts for weeks but then finds time to call you once you stop payment. I am exactly like you. I would be totally understanding as long as he called me and informed me of the delays or issues filling the order. But the way it went down is unacceptable doushbaggary.

redragon likes this.
  6. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

Thanks For the heads up.

Glad it was resolved.

7. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Yeah, funny how that works isn't it? Someone takes your money and then ignores you, can't communicate. Then the minute you yank the money back from them they want to start talking.

Yam the BOMB likes this.
  8. LReese

LReese Member

Hmm - Last time I ordered from KCG it took several weeks to process, but I did get my merchandise - it appeared well made, as did my previous purchase.

Lets just say I prefer steel blocks at this point in time. I'd like to try bronze, but I'm going to have to make that myself.

9. bluescube

bluescube Member

Thanks for this, was about to place an order.

10. rufedges

rufedges Member

Hmmm, my experience was unlike yours, here's some kudos to KGC.

I currently have a Callaham full trem setup (block, bridge plate, saddles, and trem bar). I ordered a Mega Mass 5/8" taper American Vintage Strat Style Brass Tremolo Block from KGC, and had it in my hands in about two weeks.

CONS:
    - I did have to email KGC to get my invoice for the order, never got it in email including spam folder. But, literally got a response in 24 hours, and the invoice emailed.

- Part didn't ship until about 10 days after the order, but actually took less time to arrive than expected once it was shipped. I did get email notification of shipping, and a tracking #. Possibly, milling of the part might have been a factor in the delay between order and shipping, but all in all very reasonable.

- Trem bar depth is not nearly as deep as the Callaham, my trem bar sticks out much higher than I am used to now, but function is great, maybe it will grow on me, but I might see if I can find a bar with a shorter length between the threads and the 90 degree bend.

PROS:
    - Solid product, seamless install with the Callaham trem plate, fit like a glove. Its a sexy block, and the screws that attach it to the bridge plate are longer, another bonus, I was actually surprised how short the Callaham screws were.

- Tone - it sounds great, it is staying; I have a Callaham block for sale if anyone is interested. Not a drastic difference in tone (like switching amps, speakers, pickups, etc), it is subtle, but I have been perfecting my rig for at least 3 years now, and the sustain is a little bit longer, and especially noticeable in the higher registers/higher up the neck. I would say the tone is a little more rounded and a little bit fuller as well. Still has great treble, but the overall tone is just a little bit smoother, a worthy upgrade. I had a hard time putting down the guitar to tend other business. BTW, I change my strings every 2 weeks or so, sometimes weekly, so there is very little placebo effect in that regard. Guitar is a little heavier now, but it's an oversized block, it's expected.

11. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

@Infi-del - I am glad this situation was finally resolved - however
    you said you were an accountant? Since when does anyone pay
    upfront in full for anything?

I am not defending this guy or his tactics - he definitely ripped you off.
    But the way these guys get away with these things - is because people
    foolishly give them money for guitars, amps, parts and what not before
    they are even built. If any of these dudes cry about the costs of parts -
    run away as fast as you can - you of all people should know that a business
    that can't fund itself is not to be trusted.

12. Theorist

Theorist Supporting Member

If you have like six months to reverse a PayPal charge you are not really paying upfront, are you?

jens5 likes this.
  13. Papanate

Did you read what you just wrote? He said Oct 2016 - That is longer than a year.
    And yes he got the charges reversed - he was lucky - since the contract was not filled.

That doesn't alleviate musicians being naive and giving people money
    before anything has been built. I'm not a bank - and if you can't fund
    your product - then you need to rethink your model. Unfortunately
    too many musicians act like Banks - and let these kind of p**s poor
    businessmen continue on getting rewarded for being bad at their job.

14. vintagelove

vintagelove Member

15. Theorist

Theorist Supporting Member

I Paypal for things all the time, but I would never let things roll that long, in the end my point was that he got his money back, that’s why I assumed it was during the “safe” period...

16. rufedges

rufedges Member

Actually, it's because the threads on the Callaham bar don't go up very high, the Callaham block is drilled deeper. Another 1/4" to 1/2" of threads and it would be good. If I cut off anything from the bar, I don't think I'd have any thread left.

Mrgreggb likes this.
  17. Infi-del

Because people that make quality custom items get dicked around all the time by people that order something custom, then disappear when it's time to pay. I was trying to show that I was serious, a good customer, and had no problem paying for quality workmanship. In the hopes they would think "this guy is a good customer... let's make sure we take care of him."

But it didn't turn out that way.

18. Papanate

Again as a Accountant you should know why this happens. Custom Builders just like
    the buyers should all have written contracts that state everything up front - that inlcudes
    build timeline - Build Outline (Exactly what they are building/buying) - a Delivery Schedule
    and a Payment Schedule. People can skip out still - but the builder has a legal instrument
    in which to sue and recover their contract.

So give him a credit card number to hold - but not charge. And specify
    that item in the contract - so the builder can't charge the card before
    delivery. And if he does then the charge will be refuted and he'll be
    stuck or have to deliver.

19. Infi-del

A contract? On a $200 bridge... and then what? Go to court over $200 when he doesn't deliver? I had a purchase order. He quoted me a specific time.

I'm sharing my experience so that others will beware. That's it.

I think you like critiquing my purchasing decisions because you like being the after the fact dick that likes to play the "you shoulda known better." Guy.

Even if the guy stiffed me... it was only $200. I was just making sure others in the community knew about it. I don't require nor acknowledge your criticisms on how I choose to pay for items. The only reason I mentioned my profession is to illustrate that my busy season diverted my attention from the issue. Read the first sentence... just trying to give everyone a heads up. Wasn't asking for critiques. If you get a written and notarized contract on every custom guitar part you order... this heads up obviously isn't for you. Have a good one.

20. Papanate

Have you ever had your Car worked on - for brakes or a tune up or tires?
    You get a written contract - you get an estimate of the costs - you get an
    estimated labor cost - etc...even when the Mechanic is doing a $100 job.
    You get all the parts taken off your car - as well.

You know why? Because for years Mechanics would rip people off - verbal a
    $200 quote - and then verbal a $700 quote for the same work. And then not
    even do the work. Consumer advocates and the Federal Government got involved
    and ended those shenanigans.

That IMO is $200 too much. I'm sorry if I'm coming across heavy handed
    in replying to you. Your kind of transaction is a pet peeve with me - I hear
    the same kind of story repeated over and over here on TGP. And if you can't
    tell I think musicians are too often weak sisters when dealing with vendors.
    We see these kinds of bogus transactions going on too many times.