Killer Tele in the house, built by one of our own!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Just wanted to give huge props for a great guy, a great TGP'er and a gifted builder of great guitars. I had found myself pining for a pine bodied Tele (no pun intended ;) after some of the cool threads on here and seeing some really cool work by a lot of folks. I kept reading about Jaydawg76 (Jason Hilbourne) in almost every pine related thread and I saw some of his pics and loved the look of his guitars.
    So, on a crazy whim I contacted him about a build he was working on (wasn't complete yet) and the conversation and vibe I got from Jason (along with his detailed explanations and experience) led me to take a chance on buying a build from him - I buy most of my guitars before ever getting a chance to play them so this was not a huge leap for me anyway.
    He stuck to his schedule (to the day I believe) and the guitar arrived yesterday. The first thing that struck me was how LIGHT the shipping box was <I was worried there was nothing in it!!!!>.
    The neck, body, build quality and look are amazing. This guitar is almost as light as my USA Reverend which is made from lightweight polymer and chambered. You can usually tell when a guitar is just right - all of the angles work together, the playability is on point and the sound is clear, clean, articulate. The pine along with perfect wiring and a killer Don Mare Esquire pickup make it as if there is a direct link from string to speaker - pure, unadulterated Tele tone. What strikes me every time I play this is how "open" and resonant this guitar is unplugged - and that openness translates perfectly throughthe Don Mare pup into the amp.
    I will add to this with some pics and maybe even a humble clip or two, but I wanted to put this out there for anyone considering a custom built guitar from a great guy.
    Thanks!

Here's a quick pic:

[​IMG]

2. 5E3

5E3 Member

That's a beauty! Good to learn about Jason Hilbourne too. Congrats! :AOK

3. MSS

MSS Member

Nice! The whole pine thing seems interesting since it is so light. Can't go wrong with Don Mare pups either!

4. enocaster

enocaster Member

I'm currently at a Tele crossroads&#8230; would you mind disclosing what something like this would set me back?

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Congrats man, I think .. we need more pictures!

6. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Thats looking good
    I like the amber hue on the neck.
    You couldn't of picked a nicer builder

Jason schooled me alot when I first wanted to learn more about Pine Tele's
    Don Mare's Pup's are first rate too

More pic's please :drool

congrats
    PS when I went with a vintage type tele I tried pure nickel strings
    if you haven't already check them out

7. go7

go7 Member

Congrats; a very nice piece. Enjoy!

8. ROTHNROLL

ROTHNROLL Member

that is great.
    What are the specs on the neck?
    Is the paint nitro?

9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I should let Jason chime in, but I believe it's all nitro <definitely on the neck> and won't be fully cured for another 6 months. But, I'm going to help it along by playing the sh*t out of it!!!
    It's 9.5 radius All Parts neck (Jason could provide the model number), pine body is all Jason, Don Mare "sweet" Esquire pup, Esquire wiring is:
    Pos 1: wide open <tone control bypass>
    Pos 2: volume & tone
    Pos 3: some type of cap that gives it this cocked wah sound; really cool for lead work with overdrive.
    Although it's light, open and airy which lends itself to a really unique/traditional sound clean it can hang with grit and grind as well. It barks when I push it with my Valvetech VAC25 and the gain boost on. I can't wait to get the AC30 back from Lyle Caldwell with the JMI mods... that's when the clips will be flying so I'll have Fender, Marshall and Vox tones to share :D
    (PM sent on the price on this particular guitar - I felt it was very reasonable for this level of quality, parts and attention to detail)

10. jaydawg76

jaydawg76 Supporting Member

Gasp, thanks for posting the nice review. I'll see if I can fill the guys in on the specs. That also reminds me I still need to send you a copy of the spec sheet.

Neck- Allparts TRO-C with McFadden's nitro (I mix my own colors and stains) and Gotoh vintage tuners. Unbleached bone nut. 9 1/2" radius, 6105 sized frets. VERY thin finish. Just enough to get the color right and protect the wood.

Body- Eastern White pine 1 3/4" w/ early 50's correct contours and features. Nitro vintage blonde. The finish is as thin as I dare make it. It will sink back into the grain quit a bit.

Bridge- Fender plate w/ Glendale saddles and flush mounted string ferrules.

Electronics- Don Mare sweet esquire pup. CTS pots, CRL 3 way, Orange drop cap, switchcraft jack and electrosocket. Wiring is my take on the Eldred setup/cocked wah sound. All cloth wiring. You know, all the right stuff.

Pickguard- Fabricated by myself. Real bakelite sprayed with nitro and buffed out for a nice gloss. When I first started building teles the look of black plastic pickguard bugged the hell out of me. Then Ron Kirn passed along a source for the right bakelite and BAM!!! No more black plastic pickguards for me. By the way, if you haven't checked out Ron's guitar you need to. He's a hell of a builder and a nice guy too.

Again, thank you Greg for the kind words.

11. jaydawg76

jaydawg76 Supporting Member

These pics show the color a little better. Those pics I took just before I mailed it to Greg came out awful. It was cloudy and the color is all wrong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

That is a terrific looking Esquire. Jay, please PM me with info on pricing. Thanks...

13. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Excellent job once again Jason!

I always like the way your bodies are cut to perfection.
    The flush ferrules are always a nice touch too.

Congrats Gasp, I know your lovin' it!

14. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

So what's up with the Fender decal?

15. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Jason, what is the reason for the chrome bass side bridge saddle coupled with brass for the middle and treble side strings?

16. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Would I be right in thinking that the brass gives a bit of a boost and focus to the mid and treble strings and the aluminium adds a bit of air to the bass strings? I think there's a name for this type of saddle arrangement, but I can't remember it.

17. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Please PM pricing info to me too. Do you only do pine bodies?

18. Gas-man

The saddles are Glendale.

Probably the twang set he makes.

http://www.glendaleguitars.com/saddles.htm

19. Gas-man

Oh one other nitpick--why no Glendale bridge?

You go through all that and then thow a ten dollar Fender bridge on there?

Gotta question that a little.

20. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I sure in no uncertain terms would ever have a problem with a Fender bridge.
    I'm not big on Tele "refinements".

Strats were a good example f this over the years.
    Mechanically there were "improvements" but something inside them was traded off too.
    Still good but different.