Killers of the tweed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bacton, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Bacton

Bacton Member

All of us love that tweed deluxe growl, but few have that much money to throw around. I hear alot about "tweed killers" and i wana know what you guys use to sate your apetite for tweeds without paying an arm and a leg.

2. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

My Vicky Double Deluxe, not exactly cheap, but I got mine for $1,000 so I'm not complaining.

3. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

You could buy a clone from Victoria, Mission Amps, Ebay etc. Ordered in expensive to least expensive.

4. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

You could always build your own from one of the many kits available.

5. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Tell you what, I tried a Valve Train at a store the other day and loved it! 'Twas a 5e3 cicuit (DeLuxe?) Damn that is a sweet sounding amp. Check out the site. Nice amps.

6. gregc

gregc Member

Clark's Beaufort Special (5E3) at $800 or so is a bargain, IMO.
    gregc

7. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

My Dr Z Rt 66 fills my need for tweed. It can sound very reminiscent of my '53 Fender Deluxe but with more headroom and a much tighter bottom end. Oh yeah, and a million times more versatile and reliable. You can find them used for $900-1000. The Z28 is even more Fender-like. :AOK

8. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Lots of tweed-era candidates out there. Everything used to be cheap ...

Some of my favorites

Ampeg M12 Mercury (a totally overlooked classic)
    Magnatone 213 (ditto)
    Gibson GA40 (an all-time favorite), GA30, the 4x8 maestro, others
    Equivalent Epiphones
    Silvertone 1433, 1394 (I cannot keep these numbers straight)
    Early danelectro split-chassis with cloverleaf grill (no longer cheap, quite rare)
    Gretsch Executive

9. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Point Blank Tweed Deluxe (now Blankenship Amps)

10. AlexF

AlexF Member

Sewell Wampus Cat based on the tweed Pro 'compression monster' - no overdrive pedal required! :Devil
    Al

11. mastersway

mastersway Member

I'll cast my vote for the Rt. 66....I also have a Maz 38 but tend to lean toward the 66 for my tweed needs. Just a great sounding amp.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

www.sdgvintage on the cutting edge of Amp building. Great Prices, 5 year warranty, Mercury Magnetics Transformers, Hand Wired... Try the Tweed Proluxe takes 6L6's with a GZ34 OR 6V6's with a 5Y3. Oh the Raty Arse Tweed Sounds Flow outa those. Stick a pedal in front of it and hold on. And of coarse they are packed full of the secret sauce. :D

13. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

I just picked up a Montgomery Ward amp from the 50's. It's a 1x10 combo, ~15 watts, 2-6V6's, and a couple other tubes I hadn't heard of before...not your standard "12AX7" thing at all. For $275.00 at a guitar show, it absolutely KILLS.

I don't know much about the history of these amps, but I do know that they sound incredible, and are a fraction of the price of amps that say "Fender" on them. This amp was marked as a "1956 Danelectro", but the amp itself said "Montgomery Ward" on the back. I don't know if Danelectro made this amp for Ward's or not. I had always heard that the Ward's amps were made by Valco in Chicago. Maybe they're all one in the same? I really don't know. All I know is this amp kicks major ass and was dirt cheap.

14. FredW

FredW Member

I am hoping to recieve my SDG from Steve in a couple of weeks, NOS jensen paper in oil caps, RCA blackplates and an 8 ohm Celestion Blue.

15. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+1 on Clark Beaufort. Awesome tweed deluxe w/Celestion Blue in it.

16. Colt

Colt Member

SDG all the way. Get a little deluxe and sticka blue in it....or anything really, I know blues can be expensive! Reissue Jenson's sound good too.

I've got a SDG double deluxe built to my specs on the way!!! ordered it after about 2 days of playing my buddy Chris Wilder's SDG tweed deluxe w/a blue. Bad ass.

17. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

First, I have played a RT66 and although it is a great sounding amps and one of my favorites it does not remind me of a real tweed deluxe.

I recently played an all-original 1955 tweed deluxe (for sale for stupid amounts money) and it was very simply - the best amp I have ever played.

There are emulators galore but I would think that only a high quality clone could come close and only close. Something about all the old metal and wood and the years of playing brought something to the tone table.

18. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Walkarusa Amps are a good choice. I am testing Jato's A2. A flexiable Tweed deluxe style amp that will run 6V6's or 6L6's with various rectos. Very well made to say the least with killer tolex/cab as well. Jato has a Blue in it right now:cool:

19. NatStrat79

NatStrat79 Member

recently i picked up a '57 Gibson GA-5 at a local shop for $160. With a thorough going over and a new set of tubes this thing screams with Champ killing tone. :AOK

20. maxtone1

maxtone1 Guest

skip simmons amp repair,he will hook you up!