Killing Joke cover with Axe III

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Sustainerplayer, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer Member

My tribute to this 1985 phenomenal song, album and band.

Trying to get a little Geordie Walker going in my usual synthy arrangement style.

The guitar is my Warmoth baritone strat tuned to C. Friedmann Smallbox model in the Axe Fx III. ML Soundlab Suhr cabs.

Noncommittal - Love Like Blood

Let me know what you think of it?

2. mdubya

mdubya Member

I was just going to listen and give you a like for sharing.

But that was FANTASTIC! :dude

I have worn out several copies of Killing Joke's first album. Never ventured too for outside of that record. Really nice job you did with this. :aok

Sustainerplayer likes this.
  3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Very well done performance and video.

Regarding covers, I've always felt that the best thing to do was to replicate the original as closely as possible or do your own unique interpretation of the song. Clearly you have chosen the second option.

For a while, Killing Joke was my favorite band. I saw them at the East Side Club in Philadelphia back in the '80s and had my toe broken by people pogoing on it. I should have worn Doc Martens. ;)

I also saw them during the '90s at a theater, I think it was called The Arcadia, on 43rd street behind Times Square in support of their Pandemonium tour (saw The Ramones there as well). They were still as great as ever.

Nice selection of a group to cover. Congrats on a very well done video! :aok

4. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer Member

Thanks man. I'm humbled. :)

mdubya likes this.
  5. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer Member

Thanks man. I appreciate it. :)

Yes - I'm very much into try to personalize a cover. On the other hand I don't think I could ever pull it off doing a close interpretation. :D

Sadly I haven't seen them in concert. Bucketlist item for sure. :)

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Geordie Walker has a unique style of playing. When asked why he rejoined the band for the Pandemonium album and tour he said he missed playing one chord rock. It's a unique style.

I have a personal affection for minimalism and really loved seeing it applied to this genre.