Killswitch - push for sound

npfrs

I'm trying to figure out how to wire-up a killswitch for my guitar so, when nothing is pressed, there is no sound, but pushing the switch allows sound through.

I'm looking at a momentary button but can't figure out whether it should be normally-open or normally-closed.

Before you ask why I'd want this, I will say I plan on taking it out of the circuit entirely with a mini-toggle (but that part's easy).

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
I'm looking at a momentary button but can't figure out whether it should be normally-open or normally-closed.
Either one.
Normally open: wire the switch in series with the output. Or,
Normally closed: wire the switch in parallel with the output, connected between the output and ground.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
you don't want the series "normally open" thing, that'll create a bunch of hum and racket from disconnecting the hot connection instead of shorting it to ground.

you'd want a "normally closed" switch that shorts hot to ground (creating perfect noiseless silence) until you press it; i'm not sure if such a thing exists in a super-fast, light switch.

npfrs

you don't want the series "normally open" thing, that'll create a bunch of hum and racket from disconnecting the hot connection instead of shorting it to ground.

you'd want a "normally closed" switch that shorts hot to ground (creating perfect noiseless silence) until you press it; i'm not sure if such a thing exists in a super-fast, light switch.
To the second point - maybe this?

http://www.allparts.com/EP-4926-000-Momentary-Kill-Switch_p_1470.html

As to the first point, could I make a normally-open switch work if I used a mini-toggle to short to ground but have a normally-open momentary switch between that and the ground which, when pressed, reconnects to the hot?

Trending Topics