Kim Simmonds' Tone on Street Corner Talkin'

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MGuts, Oct 20, 2008.

1. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Can anybody tell me what he's using on that album? I've been trying to figure it out for a while, but I can't really find anything. Perfect combination of smooth and bite to me ears. Overdriven but still clean. Does anybody know?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. mkg

mkg Member

Great band, great song...here's a pic from the band's website, looks to be from around that time. Not sure what he used in the studio, but I bet it was some kind of Marshall.

[​IMG]

3. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

Man, I wish they'd re-release that in a cd. I still remember the song "Tell Momma" off that record.

Ned

4. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

That's a Les Paul/Plexi Marshall to my ears. My Germino Lead 55 had that tone stone cold.

5. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

That's just big huge Plexi tone...just like you described...clean but with bite.

6. bunuel

bunuel Member

Fer my money, it's one of the best blues-rock albums ever made. I was lucky enough ta seem 'em when they toured for that LP (& it was an LP). They were tremendous!

7. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Man, if ever there was an album that I wore out, SCT was *IT*!

9. Peppy

Peppy Member

Don't think that pic is the right time frame. Think that's earlier Savoy Brown with Tone Stevens on bass...who left in probably late '70 to form Foghat. Street Corner came out the next year.

10. mkg

mkg Member

Thanks for the info, Peppy. The pic is pretty close, then, within a year or two anyway.
    Do you agree he probably continued to use Marshalls of some flavor?
    Man, I remember wearing out the A Step Further LP, especially the side with the Savoy Brown Boogie...

11. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Totally. God I loved that record.

I saw the band right when the LP came out. Kim used a strat almost all night. I recall, Paul Raymond using a 335 on Tell Mama and I think Kim may have used a double-cut LP Jr for slide. Kim sounded just like the record, tone-wise. I recall some large amps...but I can't remember what they were. His playing was absolutely brilliant. Damn near perfect and it was sooooo much better, IMO, than in the earlier versions of the band. (I saw him in the original Savoy Brown a few times as well. I kind of remember a Flying V and MUCH dirtier sound.) At least I preferred this kind of playing more.

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Yup, that's not Andy Sylvester on bass. Kim was not playing humbucker type guitars on SCT.

13. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

Man I loved that album! As a boy I remember thinking that the whole album was done on a Strat, except the slide on Tell Mama. Can't Get Next To You definately sounds like a Strat to me, even now. I don't hear a Les Paul/Gibson at all. This album helped turn me into a Strat nut. It would burst my bubble if it turned out he used Gibsons on those tunes lol!

14. Peppy

Peppy Member

I was into earlier Savoy Brown (love Chris Youlden's voice) and didn't give SCT as much of a listen as I should have. Now that it has been mentioned...Strat! Now as to amps.................

15. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

I thought that album sounded like a Strat, too. But I found a lot of pics with him playing an LP so I wasn't too sure.

Do you guys think a JTM type amp could get that tone or an EL34 based rig would be better?

16. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

The live blues cuts on Blue Matter changed my life when I heard them at 17. I fell in love with the blues right then and there. The crazy thing is I was 17 in 1997.

17. Brad Eleven

Brad Eleven Member

...in Houston at the Mucky Duck. I found this forum by googling "Kim Simmonds" "Les Paul" because I was curious about the one he played for most of the show. It was beautiful, a cherry sunburst Standard with no pickguard. That was what threw me off. It either really changed the appearance of the guitar, or it wasn't really a Les Paul. I'm thinking the latter. He had a little electronic tuner clamped to the headstock, or I'd have just scoped it out for myself.

I decided to respond because of the question about tone. He played that Paul through a Dailey head and what looked like a Marshall cab (badge removed), but it might have been a custom cab.

He played three songs on slide (Tell Mama, Shot in the Head, one I didn't recognize) on a guitar he got at Wal-Mart!!! He told the story from the stage while playing the tune I didn't recognize. The guitar sounded amazingly good, no kidding. Comparable tone to the Paul--although, of course, the axe was tuned to an open G and he didn't solo nearly as much on it.

I'll post more about the show if you lads are interested.

18. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. I just found this place in the last year, and it's full of a lot of useful information.

I found an interview with Kim on the net, and he said he is now primarily using a Les Paul though Daily amps. I went to Daily's site and it said that they went out of business because they couldn't afford to compete anymore. That's too bad because I would've liked to check out what they offered. Does Kim put on a good show? Do you have anything more to say about the tone? After reading that interview, I really have become interested in those Daily amps.

19. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Just saw Kim myself this past weekend. Still used that LP, for "Tell Mama". The color of the burst was reminiscent of some circa 90's Standards I've seen.

Still used the Wal-Mart guitar too! I *thought* that looked like a cheapo First Act; I guess it was :).

Also still using the Dailey. I guess they're defunct? Too bad; nice looking head and sounded great.

/rick