Kinda bored and wanting a few differnt things to learn

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by zodiactone, May 11, 2008.

1. zodiactone

zodiactone Supporting Member

I'm just at a point where I'm kinda bored with my playing (I hear it so much that it's just....blah)

If you guys know of any of your own or know of free sites that have cool licks, I would love to check them out. Anything from advanced tapping, chicken picken, sweeps, anything and everything. I know most of us play this stuff all the time, but after doing so much it becomes natural and we tend to use these licks (or our own form of them) constantly. So I just want to come across a few new phrases and lines to inspire me again.

Zodiac

2. elgalad

elgalad Senior Member

I don't know about any sites with licks, but for me the best way to add new licks to my playing is to transcribe them from cd. Sounds like you're kinda stuck playing similar lines a lot, so the best thing to do is get a copy of something different - doesn't even have to be a totally different genre, maybe just a slightly different style - and start transcribing licks off of that.

IMO, transcribing licks gets them into your head much better than picking them up off tab, and has the added bonus of developing your musical ear.

:)

3. Glide

Glide Member

Learn "Mary had a Little Lamb" by SRV and stay in the groove. That tune will fix you right up.

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

A couple of ideas. Take your old licks and rephrase them by using chromatic notes, encasement (adding notes half step below and whole step above), and looking for wide intervalic leaps/string skipping, using parts of the same basic licks.

Implementing these sorts of ideas will make your same licks sound like new material, and you don't have to go thru the muscle memory thing as much. Good luck

5. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

Another thing is to take your stale licks and learn them in different octaves/positions. find tat I make surprising new connections when I do this.

6. gennation

gennation Member

Please take advantage of the On Topic section at my lesson site: http://lessons.mikedodge.com

It was specifically designed for the player who's looking for some new "views" into the fretboard, styles, scales, etc, etc...

There's a ton of stuff there for even the advanced player to pick up on.

7. zodiactone

zodiactone Supporting Member

Thanks for all the replies!!!!

Much Respect guys

Any more ideas, then by all means keep them coming!