Kinda bored with rock music.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turbo Gerbil, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

anyone else? Obviously, as your typical middle aged guitar playing dude, Rock has always been the center of my musical universe. In the last couple years though I've just kind of gotten tired of it. I still listen to it, and try to find new bands doing it; and picked up the new Evanescence album, which is awesome. But in general rock has gone to less than 20% of my playlist lately, and I've hardly picked up my electric guitar in 2 years. Classic Rock radio is a completely lost cause, I think every station basically plays the same 100 songs over and over again.

I seem to have gone into a few primary other directions. First, strangely for me, is listening to a lot more pop music. Not just modern stuff, but going back in the history of pop, the billboard charts, and just checking out stuff I routinely ignored and/or made fun of. A lot of those artists are not worth picking up complete albums for, but there are a lot of good tunes, and I find it a nice change of pace. Very handy to be able to buy individual songs on iTunes.

On the other hand, I'm also getting more into electronic music. Still a relative neophyte for that, but there is a bunch of cool stuff to explore down that path. I definitely gravitate to the more industrial sounding stuff.

On yet another path, I'm completely into gypsy and world styles, primarily acoustic based, but also modern gypsy bands such as Ojos De Brujo, who is probably my favorite band discovery over the last couple of years. Nearly all my guitar playing lately is studying Flamenco, which I'm taking lessons for, so it's not surprising that Flamenco is a big deal to me at the moment. I've really fallen in love with good old acoustic instruments, and the passion that gyspy music exudes.

I've always had an on and off relationship with Jazz. Currently mostly off, but I still have to spin Scofield and Charlie Hunter on occassion. And my old Yellowjackets discs.

Anyone else kinda feeling the same way? Maybe my ears are just tired of noisy guitars or something. :D

2. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

The narrower the musical styles listened to, the more likelihood of eventually getting bored, I would say.

If some dudes reach their 80s and are still happy listening to EVH, good luck to them but a lot of dudes are eventually going to get bored with what they grew up on and liked, especially if they keep hearing it all the time.

3. DC1

DC1 Member

Classical. You cannot listen to all of it in one lifetime.

dc

4. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Sun Ra is the cure for what ails

5. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Supporting Member

When Frank Zappa reached that point, here's what delighted him:

6. shane88

shane88 Member

i'm not crazy about pigeonholing music and could care less if it has guitars in it or not - i've always been into "pop" music defined by good songs with commercial appeal

there's a lot of music i don't understand and as i get older don't feel any need to try to understand - also there's a lot of "great" guitarists that get championed on this site that leave me cold

you like what you like

7. lightningsmith

lightningsmith Member

I think it's just a matter of taking a break or getting exposed to new music that catches you ear. And by spending more time with the latter, you spend less with the others. I like my Rock too but don't listen to it as much these days ever since I had a newfound interest in Electronica recently. I dig into it cause it sounds so fresh, but I'm pretty sure my playlist will even out in the future with the re-inclusion of Rock and other genres.

8. GulfportBound

GulfportBound Member

I never have to worry about musical boredom. Contrary to somewhat popular misconception, there's a wealth of variety in the blues. (Not to mention jazz, so many of the greats of which never forgot the blues, either.)

That said, I've always loved listening to other genres. For their own pleasures as well as having picked up little bits from each than I can bring into my own blues. Classical here, experimental music there, ethnic musics all around, rock across the eras yonder (it didn't begin or end with "classic rock," and you can find a boatload of musical wealth above and beyond the cliche songs even in the pre-Beatle era), the whole pack of it.

9. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

If they could sing in tune and keep time and learn to play their instruments and write songs, then they could be great.

10. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

i have taken to listening to the pop stations recently. and by pop, i mean bubble gum pop. i am not ashamed.

also, i have taken a liking to talk radio.

when i get bored with music i just stop listening to music for a few days.

11. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Of course. Try some Jazz, or Bossa Nova, or post-rock, ambient, or some ol' Jamaican Dub. Lot's of great music out there.

12. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I went through a phase in which I was bored with rock. But it was the same time I fell in love with jazz and started to discover music from India, Indonesia, etc., Bartok, etc.

13. cminor7b5

cminor7b5 Member

I know exactly where you are. Have you considered Gypsy Jazz, specifically the music of Django Reinhardt and the european gypsies?

The music is melodically rich, rhythmically driven, GUITAR-CENTRIC music. It is typically played on acoustic guitars and is extremely challenging to master but very accessible to the newcomer who gives it a chance.

Nothing good comes easy n'est-pas?!

There is a very efficient and defined teaching method. The worldwide scene is healthy and growing. Many festivals etc.

You'll end up learning many different styles and hundreds of songs! American standards like All of Me or Sweet Georgia Brown, gypsy waltzes, bop tunes.

The standard saying about gypsy jazz is "the first 30 years are the hardest". Many people do become devotees to the style and make it their main focus.

All of the technique you learn can be adapted to other styles.

I think you'll find that all the wimpy, right handed, electric guitarists' strumming hands are pretty lame. It's also nice to play a style where "tremelo" is a style of strumming or picking, not just another pedal you step on.

14. scaryfoot

scaryfoot Member

Not bored, but I tend to listen more to the classic rock from the 70's now, and skip metal. I think the guitar sounds from the 70's had something special.
    The last years I've been more interested in blues and jazz fusion.
    I have always liked electronica and pop too.

15. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

There are many intersting "rock" bands that you may not have heard. Have you ever listened to The Sea and Cake or Sam Prekop or Sparklehorse or Eels or Lambchop, or any of the other bands which might be classified as indie rock? I'll admit, the bands I mentioned are a little on the older side--I don't keep up with the latest bands--but they are all very exciting in their own unique ways.

16. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

Oh yeah, totally. Love Django. I love Flamenco a bit more though, and since I can't really work on learning both and doing it well I figured I'd concentrate on Flamenco. But I definitely love listening to Gypsy Jazz. Also the Rumba Flamenco derivatives and people like Strunz and Farah, Rodrigo Y Gabriella, et al.

17. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

I've never really connected with the Indy rock stuff for some reason but I haven't done an extensive survey either. I should remedy that.

18. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

To point out the obvious...

"Rock" music is practically dead except for bands and radio stations still playing classic rock. I agree with you that classic rock radio has been in a huge rut for that last 10 years - I have had all the Credence I can take.

What would be really cool would be if a new band trying as good as some of the great "rock" bands of the 60/70s came along. I really wonder how well a an album as good as Led Zeppelin 1, Blind Faith or Axis Bold as Love would do these days.

Instead we have Maroon 5, Pink, Lady Gaga, LMFAO and Adele. There is no new "rock" music out there anymore.

I at least give VH credit for trying to do what hasn't been done for decades, put out a solid rock album.

19. TrickinSid

TrickinSid Member

I get tired of hearing what the mainstream rock radio plays....seems the same old stuff,
    over and over.....and.....

I am starting to like country rock music more these days...(my older
    brother always told me I would grow up some day - ha)
    ......some of the pop stuff.

....always trying to find new alternative (indie) music.

Sometimes.....reverbnation is fun to look around for unsigned music.

Not that fond of Jazz....Blues.......maybe I will start liking that when I get real old.

(half kidding.....only half....) ;)

20. Neer

Neer Supporting Member