Kinda getting SICK of using the effects loop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by doghouseman, Jan 20, 2020.

1. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

I know almost nothing about running pedals (been playing 30 years, and just now have a pedal I like to use.)

Everything I've read before now said not to put the delay in the loop?

I have a 1987x that I run through an ultimate Attenuator--which is a re-amper Attenuator. Boost pedals do NOT seem to sound good at all with the Attenuator.

Guitar--EP Booster--Visual Sounds Dual Delay--attenuated amp

Should I move the delay to the loop?

2. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

3. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Just try playing without pedals for a while. You get used to it. I've gotten to a point I can get away with using only a tuner and maybe a boost but nothing else in the loop.

4. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

When you have limited time for set-up, yes.

5. 108

108 Member

I play high gain amps and use delay all the time as my primary effect, and it sounds great. Keep the mix low and you are golden. Opt for analog-voiced delays rather than digital with bright repeats. I use a Belle Epoch or DMM most of the time.

Shiny_Beast and middy like this.
  6. PhuzzphayzZ

PhuzzphayzZ Member

What style of TechFlex ae you all using? Their site has a loooot of options....

7. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

Using pedals for gain, in front of an amp with amazing gain tones, is like a slap in the face to your amp ;)

8. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I mean, if it sounds good to you, no.

Clean, delay into the front of the amp is cool, but when the gain gets higher or the delay level increases, the result may not sound great to some people.

I really only use one pedal in the effects loop and it's a digital delay does double duty as my reverb and delay, and sending it through the effects loop means that high-gain or low, lot's of delay or a little, they all sound good.

It's all very subjective though.

morglan likes this.
  9. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

Didn't Hendrix and all of the other rocker guys plug everything into the front?

ducker 1 and middy like this.
  10. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Supporting Member

i tried it on my pt 100 and find that the amp doesn't sound as good when the loop is engaged. plus, the return becomes the master volume for the amp, and the individual volumes become effect sends. I dont' like this setup, bc if i need to adjust balance of channels during the gig i'm adjusting effect level too. and if i have to turn up quickly, reaching behind the head and finding the knob is difficult. I suppose if you're a soundchecking musician with a front of house guy, it's fine. but for a club gigger where i need to be able to adjust on the fly, that setup doesn't work.

11. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I think I used the standard 3/4" closed loop {non split) braided sleeving. I don't think you need all the other fancy ones but I guess it won't hurt if you want to use flame retardant or insulated or whatever. It's just audio cables, doesn't need to be anything too special. Just make sure it's flexible if you will be rolling it up.

12. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Objectively true but I don’t think long dwell delay had made it out into the wild yet.

The earliest delays were analog devices that used recording tape and magnetic drums to record the signal so long delays weren’t even possible.

13. Alton

Alton Member

I have amps without a loop and going straight in from the pedals is not a problem just have to adjust pedals and volume on the amps to make it make nice together. I also have amps with loops. I use a cable with 2 mic lines and wired the plugs to have 2 ground conductors each. Works like a charm. Labels help a lot too so I don't reverse order. It's quick, easy, effective.

For straight in I use Radial BIG Shot i/o because it allows me to have two guitars plugged in tuned and ready to rock. it has a signal out to the pedal chain and a separate out for the tuner which I always leave on. The pedal chain is simple boost->OD->delay of the day->reverb->amp. For amps with loops I use the same stuff for straight in and typically I'll add a distortion box, a vibe of some kind and a larger delay (TC FBX4) so I can select different delay types. Both setups are done on a pedaltrain Jr. so the power supplies stay under the board. Wah is OFF both boards because the on board angle makes the wah feel too weird for my ankles.

14. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I have tried numerous times to get to be OK with delay in front of the amp
    just don't like it.. tried analog, etc.. very low in the mix can be ok with a little gain from the amp..

My solution is to have a Strymon volante in the loop sitting on the amp and always plugged into the loop and the power cable goes to an extension cord that the amp is also plugged into, that goes to the wall for power

On my board I have a 3 button footwswitch to choose between bpass, reverb or two delay settings
    Guitar cable is ziptied to a TRS cable that goes back to amp for switching and the guitar amp input.

board has a few pedals and a battery pack
    Takes but a few seconds to setup live and not 10 seconds longer than not having the delay in the loop.

15. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I made a snake out of 4 dissimilar colored 20' cables. Black, Green, Blue, Yellow. Taped them together and voila.

16. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

+1. I actually use a Temple Audio 4-way jack patch module that I’ve zip-tied to my Pedaltrain. Works great.

17. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

Yes, the x in the 1987 was specifically designed with your set up in mind.

morglan likes this.
  18. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Look into a Pedalsnake. I bought one several years ago and never looked back.

19. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

which amps and modelers?

BTW, I like the song in your signature... Sounds like a Fractal???

20. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

Hell Yes... just get some cable sleeve material - online all day long, super cheap and so easy!! Just mark the ends of each cable for the proper input, pull it through the sleeve, label then ends, and strap the ends with cable ties. It's your "pedal board to amp" snake (and you can snake the pedal board input back to your amp if you use a wireless unit). If you're dicking around with 4 or 5 cables...well... smarten up dude!! And... if you were really smart, then you'd ditch the individual pedals for a multi-FX board - eliminate all those points of failure between pedals and between the power supply and program all that sh*t!!