Kindle users: Voyage vs Paperwhite

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jonathan, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Getting ready to pick up a new eReader. Is the Voyage worth the (pretty significant) price jump over the Paperwhite?

It looks like the biggest difference is the adaptive lighting and higher resolution (and it's a bit thinner).

2. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I had the original for years and my wife got me the PaperWhite for Christmas. I LOVE it and couldn't be happier with it as a pure reader.

smrybacki likes this.
  3. choucas09

choucas09 Member

I was given a Voyage for my birthday recently and while I can't comment on whether it's worth the extra I can say that I absolutely love it. A nice classy piece of kit and already very much in use.

4. charliemccarter

charliemccarter Supporting Member

Second on the Voyage. Upgraded over a basic Kindle and it's really great. Super comfy to hold & love the page advance features.

5. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

What are the big differences? I know I can hop over to Amazon, but real users' experiences are good too. I have been using a Paperwhite for nearly a year now and I really like it. I have enough tablets, laptops and iPhones that I just wanted to read books without the whole going-to-the-library thing ;)

Its super easy to use, battery lasts forever and I can't really think of a downside, or perhaps, a significant reason to upgrade. I mean, if there is reason I will, since I use it a LOT.

6. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Higher resolution, automatic adaptive lighting, and it's a bit thinner. I'm looking for real-world experiences as well.

7. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I've been looking at this for a while and the consensus is the jump from basic to paperwhite is worth it, the jump from paperwhite to voyage isn't.

8. Bob Longo

Bob Longo Gold Supporting Member

I have the paperwhite. Love it. Keep it in my backpack (briefcase) and carry it with me where ever I go and read before bed. Backlighting is great and easily adjustable. I read in bed while my wife sleeps. Don't have to keep lamp on.
    Highly recommended.
    I use my laptop to go to Amazon.

9. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

Right. I ordered mine with a case that flips open and creates a "stand." I think I've adjusted the backlight once, and turning pages is a breeze. I can browse the library ebook site and download to my Paperwhite simply using my phone, if necessary.

I need to ignore this thread lest I start investigating the Voyager and end up buying something I don't need. :D

10. Bozak

Bozak Member

I have the new basic Kindle and the only reason I would upgrade is to get the page advance features on the Voyage, turning pages with a tap is a little annoying, and the PaperWhite doesn't offer that, so unless you want to spend on the extra coin on the Voyage I would go basic, it's a great reader and the display is fine, no need for the light IMO.