King Bee no longer around?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Zuhzuhzombie!!, May 26, 2017.

1. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

I've got 2 Custom Shop Pro's that were $2200 each...

12" radius, real Fender, good investment.

2. beforetone

beforetone Member

This is the original King Bee Guitars in Tennesee not to be confused with king bee guitars in Texas. I checked these out when relics were the rage looking for a neck.

3. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

I guess you're not referring to the Jethro Tull guy.

4. Da Geezer

Da Geezer Supporting Member

Wrong guy...the subject of this thread is/was in Texas
    The guy you linked above (iron gate) is in Tennessee....completely different outfits

beforetone likes this.
  5. stonecabin

stonecabin Member

Late to the party I know! Not going on TGP that much I was totally unaware of the demise of King Bee guitars! I ordered a strat off of Louis in 2012 I think, apart from a small delay I recieved it about eight months later. I think he said it would be about six months at the time of order.
    I count myself very lucky as the amount of people burned by KB seems numerous. But like you it is undoubtedly my #1. Simply the best strat type I've ever played, and I've played a lot. Sad that he ripped so many off. Being in the UK I wouldn't have had a hope in hell of getting anything back if the deal had gone south.
    As I said, lucky!

6. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

He makes copy guitars but takes someone to court over copying his name?......ironic?

7. mscotts

mscotts What?! Silver Supporting Member

I bought a Tele from Louis in 2011. He ran a special for a T or S style guitar for $999 as long as it was nothing "custom". Man that Tele is just amazing- quality components throughout and it plays and sounds great to this day....Sorry to hear so many were ripped off

8. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

I played a used King Bee Tele in Louisville last week at the Guitar Emporium (cool shop). It was very light weight and played fantastic. Ugly, ugly color or I would have been tempted. $1,295 I think. No case. Just a gig bag. I’m not sure if it was trying to be whitish yellow or yellowish white but it was an ugly version of either one. And I really favor antique white guitars.

They told me the same thing. They had been a dealer for him. But had some bad dealings when things crashed on Ol’ King Bee.

Trainwreck likes this.
  9. DuncanNZ

DuncanNZ Member

A word of warning to forum members about dealing with King Bee Guitars, who ripped me off badly.

Over two years ago I agreed the specs for a new build and paid about 2/3rds of the price upfront. I still have no instrument and don’t now expect to ever get it. I urge great caution in dealing with them/him and am posting this to make people aware.

Delivery was to be 2-3 months later (June 16) and I could relay the whole grubby story of missed dates, radio silence, broken promises and all the rest. Some of of the hard luck personal life stories may even be true, though I’ve been contacted by others saying they’ve heard them all before. The bottom line is my money was presumably used to pay for some other person’s promised guitar, or just spent.

I’ve been more than patient, and have made many constructive suggestions about alternatives - including getting just a body/neck minus hardware and not paying the last third, for example.

I’ve been told for months that he’ll see me right, that I’m the last one outstanding and so on. But in the end, nothing changes...

In a recent communication the guy behind KBG come right out and said enough time had passed now that I had no come back and that my only remaining course (public shaming) would be counter productive to me ever getting delivered anyway. Well, that would be so if I had any expectation he genuinely plans to repay me or deliver the instrument, but I no longer do. BTW, I gave KBG 48 hours further warning before finally posting this.

Take care in dealing with this builder. I for one wish I’d bit the bullet and paid a bit more an instrument from another of the more reputable makers out there.

10. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

If you have all the communications back and forth, then hire a lawyer and sue him. Or call the police, he stole your money. There’s never nothing you can do.

DuncanNZ likes this.
  11. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

PRS.

Halsey likes this.
  12. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

That was exactly my first thought when I read the title of this thread.

13. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

...and a white coily cable.

14. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Airoz, Halsey, Triocd and 1 other person like this.
  15. ezra1

ezra1 Member

There are some King Bee guitars on Reverb right now.

16. almaurovich

almaurovich Member

I own a King Bee strat type guitar and as many have stated havent played a strat type guitar that plays as good as this one. I bought it used in reverb so did not deal directly with the company.

17. ezra1

ezra1 Member

He owes me for an instrument.
    I will never get one from him.

18. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

You won't say that any longer if you try a K-Line.

19. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

Yea, scary to think where the business end of the white coily cable's gonna go now.