King of Tone is here!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by giggedy, Jan 10, 2008.

1. giggedy

giggedy Member

This pedal has so many sounds, I don't even know where to begin. So, I started with stock settings, moved to all the extremes. Found a lot of good sounds in between. Then I set both channels to distortion just to see what would happen. It got really flappy, but in a cool way. It reminded me of led zeppelin's fuzz a little bit. I moved them both to the clean setting, and again, tons of good sounds.

I'm going to keep it in the stock setting, and then try to figure out where to put it among my pedals in my signature. The fuzz is out for the time being, as is the ts9.

What are some of your favorite settings?

I'll give a more thorough review after I use it live.

2. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

how long is the waiting list?

3. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

I really like the stock settings, but I haven't messed with the switches for a while. It's a really great boost/light od pedal with way to many options for me, so I just set and forget or I would be tweaking it more than playing it.

4. giggedy

giggedy Member

It really does have a ridiculous amount of options. I was expecting it to be a lot bigger, so I was pleasantly surprised when i opened the box.

I'm really amazed by how touch sensitive it is, you can get a multitude of sounds just by changing pick attack.

stratmaster - I ordered in May, 2006.

5. DK207

DK207 Member

red side set to OD
    yellow side set to distortion

loving it so far

6. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

wow...I'm assuming that ebay will be marked up ridiculously.

7. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

All this talk makes me want one. :)

8. giggedy

giggedy Member

I think they go for $400 or so on ebay. You will not see mine up there.

Any reason why the left set to dist, and the right to od?

I noticed the distortion doesn't have a whole lot of gain by itself. With the red on dist, and the yellow on clean, with the gain and volume up all the way with the red, while the yellow is on. Then it gets pretty mean.

9. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

how much are they normally?

10. giggedy

giggedy Member

$235 + shipping.

11. krebsy

krebsy Member

Just got mine as well. I haven't had time to really delve into it, but it's pretty easy to get a good sound right out of the box. I can't wait to really give it a workout!

12. giggedy

giggedy Member

just tried it with the full rig, not stage volume or even practice volume. It's sounding better and better as I fiddle. KOT loves Tim. I still need to fiddle more tomorrow to get it locked with the Zen.

13. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

The KOTv.4 is the one OD pedal that really really impressed me and its still my favorite.

I agree and said before that there are a ton of different tones and setting within it, especailly with the internal DIP switches. Which is why, I can't wait for my name to come up on the list to get my second one. Soon I can access all the tones.

14. giggedy

giggedy Member

I think you'll need 10 of them to access them all without leaning over to adjust. I really am amazed at how many sounds are in that pedal. I love the stock setting, volumes set to close to unity, gain up high on both. Tons of pinch harmonics. More gain than is perceived.

15. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I've spent a great deal of time A/B'ing the KOT with other OD's. Just when I think another OD sounds great I flip on the KOT and I'm reminded just how open and dynamic the KOT is. Nothing has ever kicked it from my board.

16. giggedy

giggedy Member

Even after reading everything here, I was still surprised as to how dynamic it is.

If I were to put one side on distortion, and the other on overdrive, which side would you put on distortion? What advantages do you guys see from putting it on one side versus the other?

17. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

Hi TGP, long time no see!

I subscribed on June 2006 and I totally forgot it. Coincidentally I checked the status on the delay page and I saw the date is May 23, 2006. I don't know how many times Mike updates the site, but obviously it's almost my turn it seems :drool
    Some people who got on the list after 05/23/06 got an email from Mike already?

18. giggedy

giggedy Member

I got on the list on 5/23, and got it in the mail yesterday. He said the next batch would be in a few weeks.

19. El Salvador

El Salvador Member

20. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

5/26. Got mine. This pedal stays!