King of Tone questions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DJLantz444, Jun 30, 2006.

1. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I'm thinking about changing around my overdrive setup when I get my new amp (Deluxe Reverb). My current setup sounds fine, but it is too complicated to take to the small gigs I play. There are many sounds to be had with the COT50 > Eternity > RC Booster, but not all of them are what I need. My bridge pickup sounds are great, but for blues I need to play with the neck pickup and these pedals don't give me the sounds I'm looking for.

Anyway, I was looking at the King of Tone. I like to have at least two overdrives, because I play low volume gigs. If i got a Version 4, I could set one side to overdrive and one to clean and work with that.

Two more questions..

What is the current "value" of the King of Tone? I see the one on ebay and I'm certainly not paying that. However I'd be willing to do a trade like.. both of the Lovepedals for the KOT. Would that be fair?

Anyone have any sound clips? I'd like to get the general flavor of it. Supposedly it's based on a cranked DR, but I need to know more than that. If there are soundclips on Analogman's site that I'm missing, let me know.

Thanks.

2. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

The KoT can be set up in any combination of, Boost,OD or Distortion. Some settings are suggested to be better on certain sides (Left Or Right) but not that you may not find something desirable in trying them yourself. The KoT is very transparent in all 3 modes, and pleasing. The treble boost is also quite useful, and can be mixed in internally if you wish. You can also change and/or stack different chips in it on either side as the ver.4 has 2 discreet sides. I have had a good time trying mine out and starting Sunday, when my Vac. starts I will see what it is really capable of. If I find the means, I will post some clips and compare it with the Eternity, CoT and KLON. But so far it seems to be worth the spend/wait,or trade value, yet it is very different from the E. or KLON, you have to hear them together to compare and realize that they are built for different uses.

3. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

I have an old style KOT and it is one pedal I will never sell.
    it does sound great on the neck pickup of my strat.
    As much as I love the KOT I think its the hen's teeth rarity that drives the crazy prices they fetch.
    maybe take a look at another/different neck pickup before you trade all your very nice pedals

4. enickma

enickma Member

Personally, I'd keep both the Lovepedals. The KOT is definately the flavor of the month pedal, and I'm sure its a great pedal ( Im on the list as well ), but paying that type of money is retarded. The COT and E is a divine combination ... enjoy the lovepedals until your KOT comes up, and decide then if all make the cut. Pretty much guaranteed the resale value on all 3 pedals to be more than adequate.

5. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

But they don't get the the sounds I want right now. With my current amp, I don't like how the Eternity sounds with the neck pickup at all.. and clean, my amp likes the neck pickup (I play a strat). I suppose I could wait until my next amp purchase to see how the setup works, but I think I'll find that the Eternity still has the same "flavor." For things more on the rock side of the spectrum, the Eternity is great, but that's not what I play.

6. Eric Schultheis

Eric Schultheis Member

Just got my KOT v.4 yesterday!. I forgot I was on the list to get one, it took that long. Well, it's worth the wait. This is the tone you always wished you could get. Put it in front of your favorite tube amp and you will not stop playing. Get on the waiting list today.

-e

7. cheng&eng

cheng&eng Member

Well, there you go.

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

How do you run your eternity? My eternity LOVED my neck pickup on my strat. I had the drive around 9 oclock, vol to a little above unity, tone around 2 oclock. The DGTM or Gristle King is great for *gritty* neck pickup tones though.

9. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Well, I can't say it sounds bad. It is a smooth lead sound.. But the eternity is way too dark sounding (for lack of a better word) for what I'm looking for with the neck pickup.

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Seriously?? That is strange. The Eternity has one of the most useful EQ's out there to make it brighter (boosts treble). What kinda amp do you use? I would DEFINATLEY say wait for your new amp because fenders are fairly bright amps.

11. rewog

rewog Member

If you need 2 Overdrives in a neat package - that you can actually buy at the moment - how about a Zim ?

12. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

Try running your Eternity and COT like this:

COT (knob all the way down) --> Eternity (Gain all the way down - Volume to needed volume --> Tone to taste)

What this does is give you a tone somewhere between the two pedals - more clean and transparent than the E by itself, and more "full-bodied" lead friendly than the COT by itself. I use this set up all the time, and to accomplish exactly what you are trying to.

My advice, never sell your E or your COT - you will kick yourself later...I know...

13. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

+1 to this!!! :puh

14. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I've had my Ver. 2 KoT since '04, and it's my personal fave OD/Boost. sounds great with any amp/guitar combination. I've been very tempted to sell it, but I really wouldn't want to have to go without it for any length of time.

To be honest though, a friend brought over a Red Snapper and it was remarkably similar to the OD channel of the KoT. I was very impressed, and may pick one up just in case anything goes wrong with the KoT. You should give it a try, could save you some serious bread, and a long wait....