King of Tone v Rockett Blue Note

Whiper11

Hi all

Looking for a little guidance.

I play into a Vox AC15. I have a strat , tele and humbucker guitar. I am rationalising my collection of pedals down to only a few.

My current dirt/OD line up is a Naga Viper for boost/treble, gap, Greer Ghetto Stomp and a Keeley Fuzz Head.

The space is for either my King of Tone or a Blue Note. I want it to fill the light overdrive type space in my chain. Anyone have experience comparing the two pedals for this type of role?

I haven't had great success with dual pedals much and quite like the simplicity of a single pedal in one.

No exp with the KOT but I've been a very satisfied BN owner going on two years now. Quite the vast range of gain on tap from transparent to a tad hotter than ACDC dirt levels. Right now mine is dialed in to take my LP into "tele on steroids" mode and I'm still loving it after all this time.

That being said, I've heard/read nothing but great things about the KOT. The obvious tgp solution is to put 'em both on your board :aok

Whiper11

I get that play them both thing. Being on here after all lends itself to that to simple solutions like that!

I find it really freeing to have no pedals on the shelf and playing away knowing that everything I have is down at my feet. Not worrying about would I be better with the Paisley drive sitting in my cupboard? or gee I think that I could sound better with the Tumnus in there.

I want it simple this time and concentrate on the playing whilst having a reasonably comprehensive good dirt range. Hence the question.

M I K E D.

Gold Supporting Member
If you get the KoT and decide it's not for you it will not be a problem to sell and get your money back. You can then easily pick up a Blue Note.

Good luck...hard to make a bad choice here

Last edited:

jfwund

Silver Supporting Member
This is both a necro post and a thread hijack - apologies for the discourtesy, but I thought it better than making a new thread.

Can the KoT cover the same territory of the Rockett Blue Note and/or a Klone (Mythical OD)? If it could condense some space on my board, that would be great. I'm very happy with both pedals, but I've been on the KoT waiting list for over a year now, so my name should be coming up soon, and I'm naturally curious about the KoT, given the hype.

For reference, I play a Mark V, and I currently use the Mythical OD for a lead/solo tone, and the Blue Note as a very slightly gritty boost. I like how open it sounds and how it interacts with the amp, as well as how I can dial the knobs to cut some bass and tighten up the drive channel.

Thanks!

halcyon

Silver Supporting Member
This is both a necro post and a thread hijack - apologies for the discourtesy, but I thought it better than making a new thread.

Can the KoT cover the same territory of the Rockett Blue Note and/or a Klone (Mythical OD)? If it could condense some space on my board, that would be great. I'm very happy with both pedals, but I've been on the KoT waiting list for over a year now, so my name should be coming up soon, and I'm naturally curious about the KoT, given the hype.

For reference, I play a Mark V, and I currently use the Mythical OD for a lead/solo tone, and the Blue Note as a very slightly gritty boost. I like how open it sounds and how it interacts with the amp, as well as how I can dial the knobs to cut some bass and tighten up the drive channel.

Thanks!
I have a KoT and a Mythical OD, in line right next to each other, actually. They're kinda-sorta similar in that they both do the boost-to-medium-gain thing, but the voicing is quite different, especially in the mids. I like having them both, for variety, and wouldn't want to give up either one. They also stack well.

ghostrider

I've owned both and I much prefer the KoT, but I have a fender amp. I don't have too much experience playing Vox, but I remember it being rather bright which, IMO, might make the BN a better fit as its a little darker (lower mid focussed) compared to the KoT (mid focussed).

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
I've owned both and I much prefer the KoT, but I have a fender amp. I don't have too much experience playing Vox, but I remember it being rather bright which, IMO, might make the BN a better fit as its a little darker (lower mid focussed) compared to the KoT (mid focussed).
I have the opposite experience. I own both standard box Blue Note and PoT. This mid hump and minor lack of details associated with PoT sound annoyed me from the first chord. Judging by the demos KoT has the same thing. I liked BN more and was about to flip the PoT. But it is so well built, versatile and has quite unique set of NOS clipping diodes, so I was hesitant. Finally I decided to slightly mod it. It solved all the problems and now it's one of the sweetest and dynamic sounding ODs in my collection. It's a cool pedal with its own unique gain structure.
Omitting the nuances both BN and PoT/KoT are good and most probably you'll be quite happy with any of them. You may be even more happy with both of them! :)

Last edited:

guitar29

Gold Supporting Member
Both are nice, but the KOT is far better in my opinion. No contest. I own both by the way.

Trending Topics