King of Tone vs Bluesbreaker 1 tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by timmerel, Aug 12, 2008.

1. timmerel

timmerel Member

What is the sonic difference between the two? I've heard clips of the general guitar gadgets version of the BB1 with a strat, liked them a lot, so am thinking about the JHS pedals clone (I'm no good with a soldering iron). If anyone has side by side clips, that would be incredibly helpful.

And please don't turn this into a discussion about the origins of the King of Tone circuit...

And I'm on Analog Mike's wait list for the KOT now - so 2010 if I'm lucky.

2. 6stringjazz

6stringjazz Supporting Member

I had the BB1, and now have the KOT 4 knob version I've had about 3 years. I think they are very similar, especially on lower gain settings. The KOT has the higher gain channel which the BB1 does not, but the overall vibe is very close. Unless you just need the high gain channel, the BB1 should serve quite nicely. I kept my BB1 for over 10 years, tried lots of other pedals and always came back to it until I got the KOT. FWIW, I've heard that the Xotic BB preamp is also very close to the original Bluesbreaker, although also with higher gain options.

3. timmerel

timmerel Member

So for SRV type tones, they sound much the same?

4. 6stringjazz

Much the same, but the KOT has a very slight advantage in the higher gain area. I could live with either one.

5. timmerel

timmerel Member

Cool - thank you. I'm hoping to use it for that "dirty clean" sort of tone, so no high gain metal chugging for me (not that there's anything wrong with that).

6. 6stringjazz

The BB1 will do dirty clean great. The KOT will not do metal "chugging", it's not that high gain.... it's higher than the BB1 but still in the blues/rock category.