King Of Tone Vs Effectrode Tube Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Royness, May 19, 2015.

1. Royness

Royness Member

Tube Drive from England's Effectrode or Kig of Tone from Connecticuts analog mike?

I really really love both my Effectrode Tube Vibe and my Analogman CompROSSor

But I'm growing weary of my TS9 and want to invest in a better OD/TS/DS

I also know it's gonna be tough to find anybody who's played with and has owned both the Tube Drive and the King of Tone

But weigh in folks

And explain why

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well being as your getting into the high dollar stuff with Effectrode I think you'd be remiss to ignore Kingsleys offerings. Minstrel, Jester, Jouster and even low gain Page.

Never tried one but do love the tube roll friendly design of the effectrode.

3. bernm

bernm Member

I had both pedals only a couple of weeks ago. I had owned the KoT for a year and a bit, and while it was good, I found that I only needed a single channel OD, plus I wanted something that worked better at bedroom volume levels. I had always dismissed the Effectrode gear because of price, but someone recommended I try the Tube Drive when I explained what I wanted in a OD. I took the plunge and ended up with one, and then had to decide which one to keep, as I couldn't justify both cost-wise. The Effectrode won out - great tone at any volume. I sold my KoT (though will miss it). I've since bought a lower gain tube for position 1 of the Tube Drive, and now I like it even more.

To be honest, both are great pedals. The KoT is maybe more versatile with 2 channels and the DIP switches, but for me I just didn't need all the options. I also found myself really enjoying the normal gain side in boost mode, dialled in with a bit of grit, but that still lacked a something (a cooking amp, which I can't have at home). I also wished I could dial in a little bit more low end with the KoT, but that was also probably my particular amp as well.

I'm still getting used the Tube Drive (work etc has kept me from much playing time lately), but I'm happy with my decision.

The tube swapping capability of the Tube Drive is awesome as well. There's a lot of gain in the stock tubes, but I wanted mine tamed a little.

Oh, and the Tube Drive is more dynamic / responsive than the KoT, at least in my experience.

I was afraid to try stacking both too much in case I'd be tempted to keep both!

(And, in light of a response above, I did check out the Kingsley pedals too - almost bought one, and even exchanged emails with the maker - seems like a nice guy and very helpful info.)

Anyway, I hope this helps. Ask anything specific if you'd like.

4. AK74

AK74 Member

I have the TUbe Drive (Never selling it). I sold the Plimsoul, boiling point and others in favour of the TD. I was thinking of getting a lazy J cruiser, but just for home use. Lovely lovely OD shame about obvious special power requirements. But worth it.

5. Bluesman79

Bluesman79 Supporting Member

Bump... Also curious and may face same dilemma. Any other opinions?

6. jm9239

jm9239 Member

Cornish SS-3. That and the CC-1 ended my od search. If you want to spend less, the KOT is a great pedal. One of my favorites.

7. 71strat

71strat Member

5 Knob Butler Tube Driver.

Teleman76 likes this.
  8. bernm

bernm Member

Just to jump in on this thread again, I had said back in my post in May that I thought the KoT was slightly more versatile. Now that I've owned the Tube Drive for longer, I don't really think that anymore. The KoT's versatility is in the DIP switches, but by experimenting with different tubes, you can get the gain range you want within one gain knob on the Tube Drive. So you can end up with the low-gain drive that you want on one end, and a decent crunch on the other. I also think active tone control on the Tube Drive combined with its bass and bright switches give it even more versatility.

I still think the Tube Drive is richer, 'rounder', too ...

But in all of this, I do want to say that the KoT is great and would never suggest that anyone not buy one! I just happen to personally prefer the Tube Drive. It would be good if there were more Tube Drive demos out there, and one that really showed the versatility when you combine tube swapping with the tone knobs and switches.

Bluesman79, 71strat and dickjonesify like this.
  9. 71strat

71strat Member

PoT aint bad either.

10. Frome

Frome Member

I had and foolishly sold a tube drive and currently have a KOT. Both are great at what they do but very different to me. If I had to pick I'd go tube drive, I ride the guitar's volume knob like a rented mule and the TD is very amp like.
    For home/studio use its great, I'd be careful with it for live use though.

11. Bluesman79

Bluesman79 Supporting Member

What's the issue with it live?

12. Frome

Frome Member

No issue really the exposed tubes do however create a place for liquids to easily get in.
    The roll bars do provide nice protection though.
    The Tube Drive is amazing I want another one now!

13. jetavana

jetavana Member

I have an Effectrode Blackbird, Tube Drive and a KOT. They are subtle differences here. I have had my KOT for years. It was certainly the best I had found til I discovered Effectrode. The Blackbird sounds like my blackface Fender to a remarkable degree. If I had to choose one of the three (at knifepoint) I would choose the Blackbird. The line out is not very nice (as other reviews around the net have noted), but as a front end, it beats the Mesa V2 I had for a long time hands down. The Effectrode pedals are warm and transparent. None of the JFET hardness. They are a beautiful build quality and Phil and Sam at Effectrode could not have been nicer answering my inane questions. Having said that, Analog Mike is a lovely guy and I have had lots of his stuff over the years.

I have tried swapping out tubes in the Effectrodes. At the moment I have 5751s in place of the 12AX7s in the Tube Drive. This takes a bit of the over the top distortion down. The Blackbird has stock NOS RCA 12AX7s.

If you want a ruggedly efficient stage use pedal, go with the KOT. If it is studio and space is not an issue, go with the Effectrode. The choice between the Blackbird and the Tube Drive is taste. The Blaxendall of the Tube Drive vs the Fender-esque tone shaping of the Blackbird does make a considerable audible difference. Mike Hermans has a pair of videos on YouTube I found helpful to compare the two.

You really can't go wrong with either company. Lovely pedals, lovely people.

14. snouter

snouter Member

Had the Effectrode DRIVE and VIBE. Very nice but a little noisy and sucked a lot of electricity. Then got FOXROX pedals, still analog, but not noisy and sounded better.

mousepunk likes this.
  15. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

I've had both and they are very different animals, so it depends on what your looking for. The KOT is more of a drive pedal whereas the Tube Drive is like a second channel of an amp. If you have an amp with 2 channels then the KOT might be your ticket. But if you have a single channel high headroom amp then the Tube Drive would probably be great for you.

I did the wait list for the KOT and REALLY WANTED TO LOVE IT. I liked the boost side but the drive side was kind of meh for me, might of been my rig but it didn't really do much for me. The Tube Drive is more of a second channel of your amp and was really nice. Very cool to tube roll in it and get different responses.

Like others have said though, if your looking for a pedal that's like another channel of your amp you might want to give the Kingsley's a try. While I liked the Tube Drive, I sold it very quickly after getting a Mistrel. The multiple voicings of the Kingsley pedals are amazing and I really like how Simon has paid attention to the mids and highs in these pedals. They really on a different level. I found the Tube Drive to be kind of sterile in comparison (although it is still a great pedal). I have the Effectrode Compressor, Firebottle and Mercury Fuzz which I love (had the Tube Vibe for a bit also which was the best Vibe I've tried, and am on the list for the Delta Trem), but the Tube drive just wasn't up to the Kingsley drive pedals for me.

The nice thing is you can try any of these pedals and resell them and not lose money. Bad news is there is a wait, or a premium for used.

16. Royness

Royness Member

Thanks for the tips gents....I posted the question so long ago and forgot I even asked.

In the time since I posed the question; I found myself a Fuchs Tripledrive Supreme that pretty much covers all my gain needs......and wow

17. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I found the BK Butler to be too compressed (but I didn't swap tubes).

How compressed are the Effectrodes and Kingsley pedals vs. the BK Butler?

18. Eugene'sAxe

Eugene'sAxe Member

I have the BKTD, Effectorde Blackbird and the KOT on the board

KOT: advantages- detailed doesn't mess with amptone, a champion pedal
    Blackbird: So verstaile it's amazing the the EQ section alone is incredible.
    BKTD: wtih a Mullard CV4003 it is amazing and has more character than either of the others.

All fantastic-if you can only afford one, I'd sugggest the Effectrode due to the EQ boost.

[​IMG]

19. AK74

AK74 Member

i have the Blackbird, the tube-drive, mercury Fuzz, fire bottle, tube-vibe. and various Solid State pedals. i have an AC30 HW2x , Friedman Small Box, lazy J 20 and a 197x fender champ. in my experience, if you are running your amp dirty, use solid state pedals. if you are running it slightly dirty then teh tube-drive is cool and works well. (check out the soundcloud clip) . If you want to use a pre-amp like the blackbird then keep your amp pretty clean and let the Blackbird be the bulk of your tone.

20. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

IMO after having and using KoT, Blackbird and TD, I by far prefer Blackbird.
    It is amazing and killer sounding drive and smooth overdive + EQ.
    KoT is not same league (it is also different) and I'll sell it.
    With Blackbird my search is definitely over and I do not find them overly expensive.
    I use mostly tube amps, but Blackbird blends very well with SS amps, too.

Tonefan likes this.