King of Tone vs. Free The Tone MS SOV

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bluesful, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Hi All.

I'm considering a King of Tone or a Free The Tone MS SOV. I'm interested in your thoughts on what you feel might suit my situation better (as testing these is not realistically an option). So those who have tried both, or even if you haven't but you have some thoughts please chime in.

The pedals would be mainly used with 2 Fenders - a Vibrolux Reverb and a Princeton Reverb (will also get some use with an AC30 and Bluesbreaker RI).

The Fenders are set primarily just below the edge of breakup - around 4 - 5 on the volume.

I play single coils and HBs (Teles, Strats, LP and 335).

I'm looking for mild - medium overdrive, nothing extreme or too gainy. Realistically I want to make the Fenders sound like they're on 8 or so (I have an attenuator to do this but I'm after a pedal for my board when I've not got the attenuator in use).

I know that the King of Tone is based on a bluesbreaker circuit but I don't know much about the SOV.

Which do you feel would suit better?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. JPerson

JPerson Member

I think I won't be much a help because I dont have neither but I do have the Providence Stampede SOV. I bought it (used) because I'm a huge fan of Matt Schofield and he used to have one before the signature ones. I think he uses it as a boost pedal.
    For me it was a case of going to a meh pedal to really awesome. I was thinking selling it when I decided to make one last test... And I'm glad I did it. I found the sweet spot to my gear and the pedal responded very well.
    It has "personality", some kind of "grind" that I never found in other pedals.
    I also think that it reacts better to single coils.
    I never played the MS SOV... But since my pedal was where it all started, I think that the MS will sound even better.
    Cheers!

3. jocfan1

jocfan1 Member

Can't comment on the SOV, but the KoT will do this fantastically. Mike designed it specifically with a Fender-Fender setup in mind, but I've loved it with both my Orange and Gibson amps. Sounds great on my LP, but takes my Legacy (Strat) to a whole different level. I would go for the KoT with no hesitation. If you don't feel like waiting or paying the resale premium, just grab a PoT... it's the same circuit with just a few tweaks.

4. SpiritShooter

SpiritShooter Supporting Member

I own both....but I have the SOV-2 not the MS-SOV.

For me, my Two Rock Coral is set just like you set your Fenders and I find the FTT SOV-2 much more organic and pleasing to my ear than the KOT. It enhances the Two Rock OD in a way that just makes me smile.

Wish I could be of more help.

Jake O.

5. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I'd say it really depends on how you set your amp. If it's already breaking up some the KoT is great. If not, I'd use the SOV.

6. strattitude

strattitude Member

I had the KOT and the Sov-2. The KOT cuts a bit of low end. The Sov-2 does not.
    The Sov 2 sounds thicker overall. And on neck pickup tones I thought it could get a bit muddy with the gain to high. I thought it worked best as a boost, and not as well when switching from clean amp and then adding the pedal at unity gain to add drive. But it did sound great as a boost with some grit!

I think the Rockett Blue Note is much much better than the KOT!

7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

From what I've heard (albeit only online) I really like both so it is a bit of a conundrum.

I'm a big fan of the Robben Ford overdrive tone (not trying to start a Dumble debate here) and I think the SOV is probably better suited to deliver that, but I'm also a big fan of the Jim Weider OD tone he gets from his Fenders using the KoT.

There are a couple of differences also to consider eg: the KoT is essentially a 2 in 1 which the SOV isn't and I believe the KoT is true bypass whilst the SOV is buffered?

I've been on the KoT list since last June so I shouldn't be too far off having my name come up. I could conceivably purchase both and see which one I like best and sell the other. I wouldn't lose money on the KoT, but probably would on the SOV. Although if I went down that path I may end up keeping both :).

8. strattitude

strattitude Member

I dont think the KOT works well with both Channels stacked. They both suck a bit of low end, so stacking them sucs even more Løw end and it becomes very midrangy.

9. Guitarded25

Guitarded25 Supporting Member

I have both and really like both. The KOT can get some great Matt Schofield tones but the MsSOV nails it (obviously). I play both through blackface -amps, mainly a Super Reverb, and lately I've been using the KOT for more of a rhythm pedal and the MS-SOV for leads. If I had to pick just one, for me it would be the MSSOV.