King of Tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by billyjett, Feb 8, 2012.

1. billyjett

billyjett Member

So I've been really interested in getting a King of Tone pedal, so I thought I would look around for a used one since I really don't want to wait 2 years for a new one, and I was a little shocked as well as pissed off to see what people are asking for them.I don't have a problem with anyone making a buck off of a sale, but its a little depressing to see musicians raping other musicians for the sake of the almighty dollar! I saw one on ebay that the guy was asking 500.00 for.That's over 100% profit!! I can understand waiting for 2 years for a pedal would be worth some profit, and I would have no problem with paying more than the list price to get one now, if it was reasonable, but I just can't see how people can sleep at night trying to gouge their fellow musicians out of money, especially with the economy the way it's been.All of this for a stinking pedal!! One of my Guitar player buddies had his car broken into at a club, and they made off with some of his gear, so I gave him a couple of pedals I wasn't using until he could afford to replace his losses, which I know he would have done for me. Does anybody feel the same as I do?

2. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

Wait for the "Prince of Tone" or whatever it's called

3. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Yeah I think people who are selling them agent realized people aren't paying those prices anymore. They don't really even sell for $325 much anymore, from what I've seen.

4. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Yeah, I think the $400+ guys are dreamers. $325, which is about $65 after shipping, less if you ordered with mods, is more the norm and not, totally, unreasonable. I mean after that wait, if you try it and no longer need it, you might as well toss it back in the stream of commerce. That said, I came off the list in December and ordered mine last month. It's going nowhere for a long time (unless I try a POT replacer), great, non-TS OD pedal.

EDIT: I stand corrected. I was watching one at $325 on eBay yesterday out of curiosity. 50 bids and it sold for $405 and change. The OP might be out of luck, if that's what the market will bear. You'll find a better deal in the emporium six days a week.

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

it's simple.
    just wait for one in your price range.
    it WILL come around. . . .
    . . . especially if your price range is 325-350.

6. newb3fan

newb3fan Member

It's a b*tch isn't it. On the plus side I've been on the list since Jan 11 and I just checked the site today and I'm actually only 2-3 months away from the top. Yippie!!!

7. cpricecpa

cpricecpa Member

Why don't you write a letter to Analogman and ask them to increase production? Nothing rains on the parade of a price gouger like supply meeting or exceeding demand.

8. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

I wouldn't do that. I can't imagine Mike not trying to get out as many as he can as fast as he can already.

9. Socrates

Socrates Member

I came up on the list for a KOT but I'm holding out for the POT since I don't really need two different od channels. I think there is a good number of others out there like me.

10. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I got mine for $325 in the emporium over a year ago and havent looked back, When the new Prince of Tone comes out, ill buy one or two or three but im still keeping my KOT. I love that pedal!

11. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I was able to get my first one on eBay a few years ago for lower three hundreds. Just wait for a bunch to become available at once and be aggressive on the ones that will end first. The prices always increase as the number available decrease on ebay.

12. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

FYI - even at $500 (which they don't end up selling for) that is not 100% profit.

Mine cost me $255 straight from Mike new after the wait ($235+$10 hi-gain on one side + Shipping).

Say it sells for $355 on ebay shipped. That will net less than $300 after shipping and insurance. Thus that 2 year wait was about a $40 gain.

After I waited 2 years for it, I can assure you a $40 profit doesn't tempt me in the slightest. Its not as profitable for those sellers as so many people make it out to be.

13. reverendfrankie

reverendfrankie Supporting Member

They are offered on my local CL for between 285$ and almost 500$ in the last year.

FWIW I still love mine. It compliments my Minstrel. I run both on different halves of my A/B/Y stereo rig.

rev.
    PS - tried subbing in a JRC4558 and preferred the stock chip
    Here are the Ads:

FIRST THE DREAMER:

Analog Man King Of Tone v.4 - $475 (Vancouver)

Date: 2011-07-29, 5:12PM PDT
    Reply to: sale-yrcud-2506736823@craigslist.org[Errors when replying to ads?]

I went on the list in late '09 and finally have a brand new Analogman KOT v.4. I have bought two second-hand, at a premium of course, so this one is for sale. Normal gain both sides, I have not even opened the box. Untouched since it left Mike.

If you don't like the price, please move along. That's what I paid for mine and would just like to even out. I don't need the money and am just as happy to put it on the shelf. No trades, please.

AND THE REALIST:

Analogman King of Tone V4 Overdrive Guitar Effects Pedal - $285 (White Rock)

Date: 2011-09-05, 10:41PM PDT
    Reply to: sale-wjcem-2584149334@craigslist.org[Errors when replying to ads?]

Analong Man King of Tone (KOT) Version 4 overdrive pedal with high gain option done on both sides. Purchased and used once, the current wait list to get one of these is 17 months. Mint condition, still has all original papers/extras. $285.

14. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I gotta' tell you, not many OD pedals would be worth $300 to me. The KOT is. It's simply that good. Even tho it's not my personal OD of choice, it's outstanding, and one of the best ODs made. After not having one for a few years, I actually got back on this lost again. I've got no problem waiting the 2 years, but if I really wanted or needed one NOW, I'd pay up to $300 for it. Over $300 is pushing it, unless I was using it to make a living with. Then of course it can be worth quite a bit more than $300.

15. rowla

rowla Supporting Member

I got my notification last week. Analogman have upped production and are taking extra steps to circumvent the scalpers -

"...I will be putting one ver4 KoT up on ebay each time we ship a batch to try to discourage pedal scalpers from immediately putting them up on ebay. I hope this will allow more people who really want them to get them from us faster. So please don't buy one if you just want to flip it for a profit, thanks! We are cranking them out VERY fast now, so there will probably be several on ebay at all times from buyers trying to make a quick profit. This will drive the prices down, so I don't think you will be able to make money reselling them on ebay anymore anyway..."

16. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

That aint too bad hahaha ........

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...man-king-of-tone-o-melhor-odrive-do-mundo-_JM

TRanslates into $1075.58 Dollars. Exchange rate this past week has been at $1 - R$ 1.72 Reais.

17. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Good move on Mike's part. I've no problem with paying $30-$40 more on a pedal for the convenience of not waiting 2 years, but when people are flipping them for +$100 it's getting ridiculous...

End of the day, it is pure economics - as long as there were crazy people willing to pay crazy prices for the pedal, they would sell for that much. As soon as supply increases, that will cut demand and prices.

However, as our Brazillian member points out above, there will always be opportunists in places where gear is hard to get...

18. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Huh?

Wouldn't people on the list get their faster if those extra KOTs went to people on the list, instead of those independently wealthy enough to afford the scalped price?? :huh

Upping production = good. In time, that will take care of the scalpers all by itself. I feel like this plan is putting "the people with money" before the people on the wait list. I understand the intent, but don't see how this will help people who have been waiting forever to get them any faster. Upping production will do that all by itself.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  19. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I have only sold about 5 on ebay in the last year. Mostly that note is to stop people from buying them who have the intent to flip them immediately :)