King of Tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sutherland, Dec 24, 2009.

1. sutherland

sutherland Supporting Member

Managed to land a King of Tone at the emporium, I am totally blown away and disappointed at the same time....

Blown away by the fact that it is one of the most balanced pedals I have ever played. This one had the high gain modification performed to both sides, and I have to say, it's just about perfect! The overdrive is really smooth, musical, and has a wonderful amount of clarity. The clean boost is very close in relation to the overdrive (perhaps the differences are more obvious without the high gain mods), however at higher gain settings, much rounder with a touch less hair. I really enjoy the distortion, especially when its on the yellow and being fed by an Overdrive on the red side.

Disappointed....I have a few BB preamps, a stock, an Andy Timmons, and a Mid Boost...and if that wasn't overlap enough...the King of Tone basically beat the BB at its own game EXCEPT for output...the BB has quite a bit more on tap. Back to the boxes the BBs go and back on the shelf.

Great job Mike! I think I have another year or so before my name is at the top of the list, but I'm already excited to scoop another one up!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. Radiosdead

Radiosdead Member

I loved having the high gain on the yellow! added just a bit of crackle to the sparkle...really shined I felt, but was also able to get plenty clean for me... even on my amps with little head room, my take at least. But yeah...I felt the high gain on the yellow really just opened up many more options I thought. My absolute favorite though was to run both sides in boost mode (all switches down) yellow- volume boost, gain set to a smidgeon of crackle, tone at 12:30, touch of treble trimmer. red- volume tad above unity, gain at max or just a touch under, tone at 11, treble trimmer up a touch more on this side. This yielded me beautiful, open drive on the red, volume boost with a bit of hair on the yellow (still clean), and stacked was just great, very open distortion with a large boost...lots of definition I thought.....Miss her already :(....Hope my late fuzz addiction fills the hole the now resides in my head! :(

Anyways...really glad to hear you are digging it Sutherland!

btw! I also did some chip swapping and found some additional great sounds...There were 2 chips I felt I really loved in the Red side...I threw them back in the bunch though so I can't recall which they were exactly...but I can say they were really impressive..I'm pretty sure one started with an L and had a 7 in it..I can't remember the other one.

3. youandme

youandme Gold Supporting Member

just swapped a tim for a non high gain kot....and i am blown away too!!!
    this is a great pedal!!!! kept the timmy and have a sho....the kot completes my board perfectly....
    :rockin

4. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I love my KoT as well...it's been my go to box for over 2 years now. Im thinking of sending mine off for the high gain mods...every once in a while I find myself wishing I could get a tad more dirt out of it...

5. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Glad you like it, Happy Holidays!!!

6. sutherland

Wing! If you ever wish to try one out just let me know! We can do an 2 week KOT swap.

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

WOW!

I might very well take you up on that after the first of the year!

8. sutherland

Spent a lot more time with this pedal and finally started reading more of the print out. When I first got the pedal, I just wanted to dime every side of this pedal and see just how much gain does the High Gain mod have...very impressed. Both sides are high gain, and with the Clean Boost crashing into the Distortion side, you get a very articulate and saturated 80s rock tone.

Now after opening up the manual and really reading indepth on Analogman's website...I have to say that the factory dip-switch settings are really where this pedal shines. The Red Side as an OD and the Yellow Side as a Clean Booster definitely brings about some smooth, rich sounds. Regardless...the Distortion is still incredible, very articulate at higher gain settings.

I think I will be keeping this set with the recommended settings...just sounds really good!

9. lespauldoc

lespauldoc Member

I like flipping through the switch settings.... i actually had Mike put in a toggle switch on the red side so I can access all the different settings by only flicking a switch instead of screwing with the dip switches inside. I highly recommend it!

10. sutherland

Good tip....I'm just not ready to part with it (even for a week or so) and am having loads of fun with it. I think the switch mod would be perfect on the Red Side...thinking about also converting the Yellow Side back to normal gain.

11. Ocelot

Ocelot Member

It took me a while to 'get' the KoT, required a bit of experimentation. But once I found the settings I liked it became my favorite pedal. It's hard not to use the yellow channel clean boost. It sounds that good. And I like to kick in the high gain side for a solo boost. If I could only keep one pedal this would be it.

12. sutherland

Did you get the high gain on both sides?

13. lespauldoc

lespauldoc Member

I got it on both sides. The main idea was from Mike... "most people will run this from 12 or higher" and that is the truth. I like the clean boost with a touch of grit around noon, or a bit more fully cranked.
    Even with the "high gain" this pedal is still not a huge gain machine.
    So to maximize my versatility (again, church musician with completely different sets from week to week) I had both side with the high gain mod, and then had the red side with the toggle switch so i can externally set boost, OD, Distortion. I leave the yellow side on OD for now, and cascade the drives as I see fit.

Tons of fun with this one.

14. john b

john b Supporting Member

I've had my KoT v.4 with high gain on the red side for six months now. I had forgotten I was even on the list until I received the email. Wasn't even looking for a pedal when that happened.

After reading so much about this pedal I have to say, it really lives up to the rep. The tone on the red side dimed is just so chewey and rich, it blows me away. The yellow side adds just the right amount of clean into dirty o.d and it stacks really nicely with an OCD and a screwdriver.

The only thing I don't really like is both sides on together. Maybe I just haven't messed with it enough but I can't seem to get as good a sound out of both sides together than on each separately.