King Tone Soloist

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KurtisAZ, Mar 5, 2020.

1. sputnik

sputnik Supporting Member

From what I was told you can run V2 at 18v as well.

2. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

No he confirmed on instagram, that only difference is top mount jacks and he did not have any plan for v2 duellist. But soon, there Will be released an pedal that is the separate side(B) of the blues Breaker like the solist side A

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  3. AaronP

AaronP Member

I've had my Soloist for about a week now and I'm loving it. I had a Duellist but sold it a while back due to not using the B side, so I can't do a side-by-side comparison. However, the Soloist definitely has that same mojo I noticed with the Duellist. I'm using it in front of my Greer Lightspeed, and there's just something about it that is inspiring and makes me want to jam out all day. It's a great pedal.

Mrkiammi likes this.
  4. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

So far great reviews everywhere.. Man i Cant wait to get My own, preordered it from UK 11th of april and still waiting it for arrive to peach guitar. How do you all use the soloist as booster or single or stack with another pedal?

5. AaronP

AaronP Member

I've got mine running into a Greer Lightspeed. My amp is set to very light breakup, with the Lightspeed giving me my lower gain settings. I kick on the Soloist for my lead tones. For now, the Soloist is on the Edge setting with the Drive about 8:00, Volume around 12:00, Tone around 12:00, and Body off (or all the way down).

Mrkiammi likes this.
  6. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

I am returning my Soloist and waiting for a new Duellist. He did state on Instagram that the new version coming out is not considered a "V2". He was replying to my post about waiting for V2 to come out.

This is exactly what Krystal Davey told me in an email in regards to the new Duellist: "They will have 18V capability, top mounted jacks, and the option to change each side in/out".

sputnik likes this.
  7. Stratsmyboy

Stratsmyboy Member

By in out did she mean being able to swap the order of the around? That'll be cool. Any idea when its due?

8. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

9. ct64394

ct64394 Member

I sold my Soloist. It’s a very nice sounding Tube Screamer, it’s great to have more control over the highs and lows. However, there’s no magic here & I think you can get close enough to this sound with a Digitech Bad Monkey for far less cash.
    Just one mans opinion, YMMV etc.

earwax likes this.
  10. Leftyman

I didn't ask however, that is how I took it as well. I have no idea of when it will be available. They are suppose to contact me as soon as they are in stock.

11. Stratsmyboy

Stratsmyboy Member

Thanks much appreciated.

I wonder how many people will choose to swap the order around now they have the option ......

12. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

Maybe it’s different in the room but I don’t understand spending too much money on a Tubescreamer when the mini is available. Is the soloist the new landgraff dynamic overdrive?

13. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

I would - love putting a boost into a TS (I do that with a Klon style boost, often)

14. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

I have a Duellist and several vintage and current TS...the TS side of the Duellist just has a different feel and tone to it...its as if its more juicy and saturated, even at the same levels of gain...

A TS can almost have a 'cardboard' like property to me - I know that's a ridiculous term to describe tone but I don't know how else to describe it...maybe its the
    'boxy' aspect of it or something...the Duellist has more bounce and liveliness to it to me.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    woof*, Mrkiammi and justin like this.
  15. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

Thats a first,so the di
    so the Digitech Bad Monkey is a very nice sounding TS??

16. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

It is only $265, not $410 like the Landgraff. To be fair, the Soloist does offer some other tones that stock TS's don't. The glass setting is a nice feature as is the body knob. It is a great sounding TS, so I don't think the price is crazy for a small builder that has tons of flexibility built in to his pedals. The Duellist is $350, but you're getting the best Bluesbreaker and TS available together in one pedal, and, again, they have quite a bit of flexibility with all the switches internal and external. They are a little pricey, no question, but not completely out of line.

Fret-O'File and Mrkiammi like this.
  17. ct64394

ct64394 Member

The Bad Monkey is completely average, I only mention it as it has separate controls for lows and highs. The Soloist sounds nicer but Not massively so.

Mrkiammi likes this.
  18. Leftyman

First of all, I wouldn't put a whole lot into what you hear on Youtube. The audio is crap. Yes, it might give you an idea however, it is not a true representation. I own a Soloist (sent it back today to get the Duellist) and also own a mini Tubscreamer. Overall, the mini is a great pedal but the Soloist sounds better. Where is shines for me is boosting another pedal.

I get the whole we don't need another Tube Screamer thing, but the Soloist is a great pedal. I do think it is a little pricey. My thoughts are it should be half the cost of the Duellist.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    earwax likes this.
  19. swampdonkey90

swampdonkey90 Member

I just ordered a Duellist but then discovered the blues power. I want SRV tone. Is the blues power the better way to go ?

20. sputnik

sputnik Supporting Member

I think you made the right decision with the Duellist.