King Tone Soloist

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KurtisAZ, Mar 5, 2020.

1. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+1

2. fuchs

fuchs Member

Top mounted jacks on The Duellist..

woof*, Cgkindler and Mrkiammi like this.
  3. mikep56

mikep56 Member

If anyones thinking of ordering a Duellist get it fast. I ordered mine today from LA Vintage Gear. Been wanting this pedal for a while and they are finally back in stock. The guy told me they sold 10 in the last two days. Noticed the top mounted jacks. Wondering about the 18v power.

Mrkiammi likes this.
  4. cbpickin

I almost ordered another one just for the top mounted jacks!:crazy
    I measured on my PT Jr., I don't think it would help me fit another pedal on there. I can get the Duellist and 3 other pedals on there. If I used the Soloist, I can get 4 other pedals on the same row of my PT Jr. The top jacks don't buy enough real estate to make a difference.

woof* and Mrkiammi like this.
  5. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

I know the GAS feeling. I had a GAS feeling for the mini fuzz, but then i realized what fantastic fuzz face i have in my mojo hand fx crosstown, how great it works with My other pedals. So that cured it. But I still have gas for the soloist And really hope i Will get it next week or at at least the beginning the week after.

6. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

So they are now on stock in UK peach guitar and they dispatched my pedal! Others like me??

7. cbpickin

I like you.:aok

Mrkiammi and Gilky like this.
  8. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

Let me rephrase that, are there other happy people in here, that acts like little Kids because they got a mail today: we have dispatched your gear and
    now they cant wait for it to arrive?

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    woof* likes this.
  9. cbpickin

I can't wait to hear what you think!

10. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

I let you know, btw what is the power requirement how many ma??, is the soloist
    And one more thing, is this voodoo lab cable the right one to use, if i need to power the solist 18v

[​IMG]
    Voltage Doubler Adapter – 18V or 24V
    For pedals with higher voltage requirements, the Voltage Doubler Adapter will combine two 9V or 12V Pedal Power outputs to create a single 18V or 24V output. This adapter features two BLACK 2.1mm barrel plugs to a single BLACK 2.1mm jack for use with any standard power cable with a 2.1mm plug. Ideal for MXR Flanger and Dime Distortion, Crybaby 535Q, and various Fulltone and Keeley products.

11. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Other than the high gain option, you can set BOTH sides of the KOT to be identical with the dip switches...then you can have the "boost" mode engaged on both sides and get some yummy stacked goodness!!!

I'd love to try one of these Soloists or Duelists!!

They LOOK cool too!! Always a PLUS! :)

12. cbpickin

Yes, that is the one if you want to run at 18v. Otherwise, the mA requirements are low with the Soloist.

Mrkiammi likes this.
  13. woof*

woof* Member

This is not representative of the Duellist at all. Terrible demo.
    The way to use ts type pedals is into a cranked amp, not a low volume amp.
    There’s a huge difference between the Duellist and a ts mini. You have so much more control of the tone with the edge and glassy switches, the Duellist has a lot more gain too.
    I’ve been using my Duellist for quite awhile now and several gigs live and it’s killer. Makes my Super Reverb scream.
    I’m going to buy a Soloist to save board space. If you want to hear a real demo of the Duellist/Soloist check Nik’s recent demo.

Fret-O'File likes this.
  14. woof*

woof* Member

I can’t tell if that’s a male or female plug in that picture.
    The voodoo lab doubling cable I have that use with a Vibe has all three male ends. Two into PS and one into pedal.

15. KurtisAZ

KurtisAZ Silver Supporting Member

I finally have both pedals and was able to do a comparison today. They are different for sure, at least the two I have. I have a red soloist, and it absolutely sings. These soloists took the string singer and ran with it. I feel like if you go into a dark amp or a really cooking amp as most SRV guys likely will, get you a soloist. It is more present to my ear and you have way more control of areas of the duellist that you would've used if you don't need the duellist for bassiness or lots of compression. Thats is, to my ear, my specific soloist and my specific duellist are different in that the duellist is darker, chewier, and not as clear. Soloist has more clarity and in my opinion is more flexible into a hot amp. For my uses, into a low volume lower wattage amp which is where I have to keep my rig set most of the time out on gigs, I chose the duellist circuit. That being said, they both have their place and if you dont need a super bassy, chewie sound from the duellist, you can get all of the great sounds on the soloist and more.

axdxm and donfrantz like this.
  16. cbpickin

Finally, someone else who has both, and you hear a difference as well!

Jamar and KurtisAZ like this.
  17. KurtisAZ

It only took a couple months to do a proper test lol but as you also said, both great pedals and everyone should experience both for themselves

18. KurtisAZ

It only took a couple months to do a proper test lol but as you also said, both great pedals and everyone should experience both for themselves

19. mikep56

mikep56 Member

My Duellist v2 will be here tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing how it compares to my TS-808HW

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    Supercubziggy and woof* like this.
  20. mikep56

mikep56 Member

So the Duellist arrived about an hour ago. WOW!!. I have been using a TS-9 Reissue Tubescreamer, an Fulltone OCD, a JHS Bonsai Pedal, a Handwired TS808HW, and this blows them all away! I was really curious to see how it compared to the hardwired tubesreamer. The TS sounds much more muted and lifeless compared the Duellist. The Duellist sounds thick, chewy really open and lush. As much as I like to have different overdrive options on the board I could probably just take the other pedals off the board and just use my Fulltone DejaVibe into the Crybaby Wah into the Duelliest into the Super Reverb and be good to go. It sounds that good! I didn't even get to the BB side of it yet. I like the top mounted jacks as well. I also noticed that it say 9v and 18v where the power supply plugs in, Im assuming then it can run on 18v. Could this pedal sound even better?

boldaslove1977, woof* and Mrkiammi like this.