King Tone Soloist

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KurtisAZ, Mar 5, 2020.

1. sputnik

sputnik Supporting Member

I’d bet 18v will sound better. Of the pedals I’ve tried that can run 9-18v, I always prefer them at 18v.

2. woof*

woof* Member

Congrats!
    It’s just an awesome pedal. The longer you play it, especially live at gigs the better it sounds as you get better at tweaking it for your setup.

Mrkiammi likes this.
  3. mikep56

mikep56 Member

I am so floored by this pedal I can barely put the guitar down. Ive tried alot of different pedals over the years trying to get that big thick Texas SRV and Hendrix type Strat sounds and this thing just seems to do it better than any pedal ive come across. Strat into Vibe into Crybaby into Duellist then into Super and that tone is there! When I switch to TS808HW I really sounds almost muffled in comparison and yesterday before I had the Duellist I thought that was sounding really good. Even switching to Strats, maple rosewood it doesn't matter. I love the glass and the fat settings both. Both two different sounds which is really cool having both options. The glass is that super chimey big round tone that I never had especially on single low notes. Having the fat setting really thickens the tone up and adds a bit more fullness. I now had a chance to try the BB side. I like that side too on the glass setting. I guess if you don't need the BB side the Soloist would be a good option as well. Next gotta try it at 18volts

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Mrkiammi and woof* like this.
  4. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

So after almost 6 weeks waiting time. And see all your reviews and thoughts about the solist.
    I finally got mine, Its the black version, which we all know is sprayed with Angel dust and SRV mojo and Josh Smith and Doyle guitar finger technique (unlike the red version) . I completely agree with others, once this pedal is on Its very hard to turn off the pedal, and put the guitar down. I have tried endless brands of drives pedals, so after a few seconds I could tell this pedal in my Setup anyway (i run a PRS Mccarty 594 Dc top ten, use neural dsp plugins tried Plini, Nolly i, Fortin Cali suite with 10 different amps and cabs) its a very special pedal. It sings like no other drives, and there are really no bad sounds or positions either on guitar or pedal, The pedals sounds great stacking with other pedals, i tried fuzz, distortion, boot, i Even tried uni vibe. Its really sounded great, i also tried to power it with 18v (use voodoo lab 2 plus) it felt like there was Even more headroom, sound...
    This pedal i def. a keeper for me, i love it so far.
    I dont need the B side (the duellist) i got my MI audio crossover drive v2, i use it a booster hands down the best booster i ever tried.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    woof*, donfrantz and axdxm like this.
  5. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

Its PP-Y (stand
    did you tried and what do you think?

6. swampdonkey90

swampdonkey90 Member

I ended up buying them both. It’s weird that both get you mean SRV tone if you want. I can’t say one is better at it. I like running the right side of the Duellist ( ts9 side) into the Blues Power. But it’s really a crap shoot.

DRAGUI99 and jhullin like this.
  7. gavinashun

gavinashun Member

Wow, first I'm hearing of this. I'm psyched - I had a Duelist, but like a few people, I was floored by the TS side but underwhelmed by the BB side, and couldn't justify the space. But a standalone TS Duelist would be very very interesting.

8. jhullin

jhullin Supporting Member

I have both as well. If I could rewind and pick one from the start, I think it would be the Soloist. The "body" control on the Soloist is awesome! I'm using these in front of an old super reverb and they are both extremely versatile, and can be dialed in to be similar in my opinion. Right now I have the BP after the Soloist acting as a solo boost. Both of these pedals are fantastic! Nice job Jesse..............

DRAGUI99 and Mrkiammi like this.
  9. mikep56

mikep56 Member

I can't imagine any of his pedals sounding not good. Might get a fuzz next

jhullin likes this.
  10. swampdonkey90

swampdonkey90 Member

well, In 7 days I bought the Mini Fuzz SI, The Duellist and Blues Power Pedals. I have a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 100 w head and it can really be picky with these pedals. I fought the fuzz for 2 days. I finally decided to use it as a clean boost that nails the “ Life Without you/“ SRV clean tone. It’s absolutely mind blowing. I like the Blues Power by itself for a dirty tone but I’ve had little luck stacking the pedals. The Duellist sounds killer also but it’s going to take sometime messing with it.
    My SRV strat sounds really great but my Elite Strat has not played nice so far. I’ve been playing rock for so many years that I don’t really have any other clean pedal platform amps. I might look into a Fender amp that is not 100 watts. My Mesa Lonestar is loud and the drive channel can be difficult to dial in.

DRAGUI99 and jhullin like this.
  11. jhullin

I go back and forth between the BP and the Soloist as far as favorite. I have found that I don't like stacking the two. I bought the JHS Switchback w/ remote and now with one click can switch back and forth between the two. BP set with lower drive, and it plays real well with the pedal pawn fuzz. The soloist is set with the drive higher. I am real happy with this little loop switcher setup.

woof* and DRAGUI99 like this.
  12. mikep56

mikep56 Member

Im still in love with the Deullist pedal. Now im really digging the Heavy Hand side. Its surprising to me most people don't use that side. For the first week I didn't take it off the String Singer side it sounded so good I didn't even care to check out the other side. The HH side has a more tight less chewy maybe less compressed feel to it. Same overall tone but a different playing feel top me. Sounds best on the glass setting as does the SS side. The glass setting is like the secret weapon of this pedal. It really gives the tone this tubey sound that you can hear in SRVs tone for example. Really makes the Strat just jump out of the Super Reverb speakers. The SS side sounds killer as well. The Strat has the big open fat tone like ive never heard it sound before. Its addictive to play. After comparing it with all my other drive I took them all off the board. I just have the Strat into DejaVibe into Crybaby into EP Boost to kick it to another level if I want it and the into The Duellist then Suoer Reverb. Those 4 pedals and im good! Haven't tried running the pedal at at 18volts yet. Need more Kingtone pedals asap!!!!

13. Twrogstudio

Twrogstudio Member

Man, I sold my Duellist to get the new version and now can’t find one. I miss it and the Soloists are in stock! No questions, just venting. #firstworldproblems

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  14. evm10m

evm10m Member

Whats a dualist?

15. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Merriam-Webster
    dualist
    noun
    du·al·ist | \ ˈdü-ə-ˌli-st also ˈdyü- \
    Definition of dualist

1: a term used by former owners of the "Duellist" effect pedal to snare unsuspecting thread police into writing a post on The Gear Page. (See also "Deullist")

16. jhullin

Now that's funny!!

Soothsayer likes this.
  17. mikep56

mikep56 Member

The don't seem to stay in stock long. I got mine at LA Vintage and they said they were getting a new batch soon.

Twrogstudio likes this.
  18. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

Have any of you experimented with the internal dip switches on the Blues Power to adjust the mids?

19. evm10m

evm10m Member

yeah nah

20. jhullin

There's one for sale in the emporium FYI...........