King Tone Soloist

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KurtisAZ, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

Did you order two? One in each color?

2. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

No, just jokes.
    I just have the Duellist and a black Soloist

Mrkiammi likes this.
  3. Bloomfield fan

I received a red one a few days ago.

I do not own a Duelist and have never played one.

I have owned a Blues Power for about a year.

I have demoed this pedal with only one amp so far and two guitars, a Magic Amps Deluxe Reverb that is 5 years old with a well broken in custom Weber.

I own what I consider a really good sounding TS9, an early reissue made by Maxon that has had the Analogman TV mod. Nothing fancy just old school TS type tone.

the Soloist is much more than a tube screamer.

A few early observations. I love the mode switch. I really enjoy the two additional modes and their flavors. Very usable different enough. It is not simply a bright switch. It changes other frequencies including the bass.

the tone knob does not appear operate like a traditional TS knob. If you turn down the knob the entire pedal does not go dark, there is still high end it is softened.

I am really impressed with the high end and low end response of the pedal. I really enjoy the slightly softened top end. When you engage it the sound is not just a mid boost and the bass drops like a traditional TS. It is a much more complex sound.

axdxm, KurtisAZ and Mrkiammi like this.
  4. Bloomfield fan

Many people say the POT and KOT sound slightly different so it should not be surprising there are slight differences between the two units.
    I don’t care if they sound slightly different, the Soloist sounds really good with the amp and two guitars I have tried so far and I thought about canceling my order, very happy I didn’t.

Doug59 and Mrkiammi like this.
  5. cbpickin

Yeah, I never said it was bad sounding at all. It is literally on my board. I guess people interpreted my and Jamar's saying it was slightly different as being bad; it is not. There is just a slight shift in the mid content that I hear, and so did the other owner that owns both. I am glad you didn't cancel your order. It is a great overdrive.

KurtisAZ, highfidelity66 and axdxm like this.
  6. Bloomfield fan

Is that a conductor trem? I know you had the white one.

7. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

super bad a$$ board!

what amp are you using?

8. cbpickin

Yeah I still do. The v2 is cool because of the rate knob. I have been using the Powerglide for a while, but I had to put the Conductor back on board to make room for the wonderful Life Pedal.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  9. cbpickin

Thanks, it is always evolving. I mostly use this board with my Fargen Blackbird 30, but also with my Reinhardt 18.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    axdxm likes this.
  10. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

Killer pedalboard you have there!

11. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

The man himself Jesse from kingtone just posted a new youtube video with the solist and with an fender amp, still sounds killer, and man, I really want my pedal now :)

woof* likes this.
  12. SpaceandFuzz

SpaceandFuzz Silver Supporting Member

I’m preferring it at 18V. I find the Glass setting to be too bright, even with the tone down. Stock setting for me, bass around 11:00.

13. woof*

woof* Member

That explains the body control

14. KurtisAZ

KurtisAZ Silver Supporting Member

Bad to the bone board

15. Bloomfield fan

I have only run mine at 18 volts but it sounds like it alive and breathing.
    So far I left 3 knobs in one spot and then minor adjustment of the tone knob depending on which of the 3 modes I am in. It seemed each of the 3 modes brought out a slightly different playing style/or mood what ever you want to call it. I can see using all the modes.

16. donfrantz

donfrantz Yo! You stealin’ all the cool. Silver Supporting Member

Playe
    Played with mine more today--really, really nice. In fact beautiful. And off topic, but @Mrkiammi I'm from the Mpls area and one of my favorite Prince songs is "Sometimes It Snows In April".

Cgkindler, woof* and Mrkiammi like this.
  17. Mrkiammi

Mrkiammi Member

You should hear Sanne salomonsen jazzed version, the record produced in New Year Its really really good!

donfrantz likes this.
  18. fabrifila

fabrifila Member

Is there anybody happy to get SRV tone with the Duellist or Soloist just with stock pickup? Or Kingtone Bluebirds (maybe plus Switch) should work better in combination with that pedals?

19. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

Had the Soloist for about a week now. It's a great pedal. I find I like it more as a boost although it does sound good adding dirt to a clean amp. Reminds me of a really good tubescreamer with some additional features (3 way toggle and body control). Compared it directly to my KOT. Both sound great and do their own thing. I can get the Soloist to sound similar to the red side of the KOT with the body knob down and 3 way toggle in the stock setting.

I am seriously considering returning it to purchase a Duellist however, I do like the glass setting and then turning up the body control to fill in some lows which you can't do on the Duellist. Tried it at 18v and didn't hear a big difference. I really like the orange boost side of the KOT which is what I use most. If the other side of the Duellist sounds very similar it might be worth purchasing due to the 3 way toggle. I've often wanted a little more sparkle out of the orange side of the KOT which the Duellist with the glass setting might be able to do.

20. cbpickin

Have you opened up your KOT and turned up the treble trim pot? That makes a big difference in opening up the KOT's tone. I do prefer the BB side of the Duellist over the KOT though.

Cgkindler likes this.