King Tone - The Duellist Od

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wagster, Jan 11, 2016.

1. woof*

woof* Member

My Duellist is super quiet

Doug59 and CoastalRyan like this.
  2. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

totally agree - and this is why jesse needs to pump out that single sized enclosure with just the TS-side! Lol

earthmud and woof* like this.
  3. kingston

kingston Member

Or you just only use the TS side

4. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Um, it’s called “The Duellist” for a reason.

5. ufguy73

Not everyone wants both sides - point was that TS side is so good there would be value from having it as a standalone (ie see the Doyleist)

Tremolux1965 likes this.
  6. ufguy73

sure, which is what I do.

But if i could repurpose a pedal space i would.

i also meant my original comment a bit tongue in cheek, hence the lol.

when he does release just the TS side, though, i will happily swap.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  7. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I emailed back in October and was told a single TS was coming in about a month. I love my Duellist, but I rarely use the BB side and could use the space.

earthmud likes this.
  8. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

Maybe Jesse would do two ts808 pedals in one duellist? I would buy one of those!

Tremolux1965 likes this.
  9. Spellbound

Spellbound Member

Thanks for all the feedback on my srv poast! I think a dual 808 duellist would be the shiz!

10. Tremolux1965

Tremolux1965 Member

To me the pedal is really quiet even with both sides engaged. I don't own the DB anymore but I'm pretty sure the Duellist is less noisy !

11. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Wow! Just got this pedal in and am blown away. In stock form it was good but after some tweaks it’s just amazing for me.

Set the SS side to warm and turned the tone up to keep the top end coming through, around 11 on the gain and in stock setting. Perfect mid gain blues drive.

Set the HH side to have the distortion dip on, in fat mode and gain around 1. Big rock crunch sound that turns into a great lead when I stack the SS side into it.

I’m impressed, and can’t see why people are less than thrilled with the HH side as I’m loving it. I redid my board tonight and this is my only drive pedal on it right now.
    Wish I’d have tried this earlier. Not cheap, but well worth the money spent!

Doug59 likes this.
  12. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

I was able to get comparable sounds to the Duelist, using a Barber Compact Gain Changer, high gain mids, at low volume and a Green Rhino, Way Huge version of tubescreamer, with adjustable mids.

These pedals are very flexible and are capable of doing many more sounds, on their own and when combined.

YMMV

13. musicbliss

musicbliss Supporting Member

For all the bb side naysayers - have you tried using it as a clean boost in glass mode? That way it is essentially boosting and adding some highs back into the TS that everyone seems to love. Works really well for me. Big fan of the Duellist... just as big of a fan of a morning glory - ts mini so I guess I just like ts and bb style pedals together

14. hooligangorilla

hooligangorilla Member

In all seriousness, I would be absolutely fascinated to learn the economics behind the process of developing a new pedal, manufacturing it in quantity, and bringing it to market (distribution, promotion, etc.). Within that I'd be fascinated to actually see what a guy like Jesse is making per hour for the sum total of the work he's invested in this one pedal, for example. My hunch is that the $350 might not look quite so large anymore, especially for smaller one-man outfits like this one, where the operation is based 100% in the USA. Building pedals has to actually be worth while for the builder... making handbuilt guitar effects isn't exactly a get rich quick scheme.

Don't get me wrong: $350 for an overdrive pedal (or any pedal) is a lot of money. Thankfully for those who don't want to pay that, or can't pay that, there are companies like EHX that have scale, and even good-sounding offshore stuff like Joyo for even cheaper. But all that to say, $350 might not be so unreasonable in context.

sanfi4u likes this.
  15. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

What work? The PCB layout and external graphic design? Because the circuits aren’t original. Modded Tubescreamers are a dime a dozen; so are Bluesbreakers. There couldn’t have been much research involved..

My guess is, based on the company name and pricing, King Tone is trying to carve out a spot in the upper echelon of the boutique market. Unfortunately, it takes a bit more than a fancy knob job and a high price tag to impress me.

ps. Cool necro-quote. :)

16. hooligangorilla

hooligangorilla Member

Don't know what a necro-quote is, but it sounds kinda badass, like death metal. You're probably spot-on in your assessment of the niche The Duellist is shooting for. I still think it would be super interesting to have a birdseye view of the business model for pedals like this one. The "it's way too expensive for what's inside the pedal" reaction seems pretty common on TGP, often towards newer builders who are trying to make a go of it commercially in what is now an increasingly crowded market. But I just wonder what the whole story is from the builder's perspective. I mean, it would probably take a lot of money (i.e. per pedal) for me personally to leave my day job and start making (and promoting and distributing and selling) hi-quality low-quantity pedals full time. And I raise this, because I like having variety as a consumer, even if it means the start-up builders feel like they need to charge an arm and a leg for their interpretations of age-old circuits, to make it worth their while.

Obviously you have a valid point about some companies going in with a high price tag purely as a marketing technique to give the impression that their's is somehow better in quality... that's in every industry.

For the record I don't own a Duellist.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  17. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

The Duelist was one of my best purchases this year. I love the pedal.

Ryno1331 and woof* like this.
  18. underdog726

underdog726 Member

I had one and sold it. Bought another,didnt get all the hoopla and sold it again. Swayed by all the praise and bought my 3rd (blue one). At amp lower volumes I still dont think its anything amazing. At amp breakup volumes and used as a clean boost I get it, but generally I can never play that loud and really cant use it the way its meant to be used. I am afraid to sell this one cause I'd probably get another down the road. Having a great guitar/amp sound to start with and just using it as a subtle boost is the preferred usage. That's not a easy task for me. A lot of money and controls just to boost a already simmering amp.

musicbliss likes this.
  19. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Same here, loving it.

For me, it’s the Fat/Stock/Glass switch and the internal dip switches that make this worth it. It really changes how the two sides sound. Yesterday I was comparing the HH side setup fat and with the distortion dip on and it was sounding really close to my Thorpy Gunshot, which is high praise. It just had a slightly different mid range character that lets you know it’s a BB based circuit.

I’m quite happy running this as my only drive. And it looks really good on my board which never hurts.

JackD and Doug59 like this.
  20. musicbliss

musicbliss Supporting Member

Totally agree with this - At home volumes, it is not that impressive. It sounds way better in a gig situation with an amp that is cooking.

underdog726 likes this.