Kingmaker fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by m0b1liz3, Apr 18, 2016.

1. m0b1liz3

m0b1liz3 Member

My search skills must be poor because I can't find any reviews for the source audio kingmaker fuzz. I am interested in this fuzz since it would be tweakable via software. But at the same time I am skeptical due to it being digital.

Are there any fuzz aficandos that have tried this pedal? I was looking at the sm fuzz but heard it is too fat for lps. Also considering the jb fuzz face. But if the SA pedal could get close and offer more tones it might work.

2. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

The Muff and Gated fuzz on SA's OFD pedal are excellent, if that helps, and I think the Kingmaker is an update on the OFD fuzz engines. -E

3. Drewcraft

Drewcraft Member

4. m0b1liz3

m0b1liz3 Member

I live in Australia so Sam Ash is not an option and Aussie music stores generally suck.

@Drewcraft,
    I watched a few vids but nothing is screaming buy me. I have the SA vertigo tremolo and like it. However, digital fuzz has me skeptical.

Might just wait a while or attempt to build my own fuzz at some point.

5. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

No news on the kingmaker, but the OFD with several similar modes had stellar fuzz models.

The Gated fuzz was exceptional. The muff was good. The octave fuzz was great. The others were only decent IMO. But the gated mode alone sounds better than most analog fuzzes for the stuff I like!

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  6. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

100% agree, although I'd upgrade the Muff to "excellent," and would note that they've tweaked the models since the OFD. -E

7. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Yeah I don't enjoy muffs so I guessed the OFD nailed it? Haha seriously though you won't even think of "digital" with their tones.

For reference, my current fuzz for a few years is a Mini Bone.

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  8. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

A massive amount of work went into the creation of Kingmaker from the OFD. With Nemesis we developed many new tone refinement tools. It is easy to find 6 awesome tones (from a list of 44) and save them as presets. In stereo. With 4 band Para eq.

fakeox and Godspeed64 like this.
  9. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

I'm bringing this thread back! I'm looking for an octave fuzz that plays well with active p'ups, and this one was suggested. Anyone tried it?

10. iamthearm

iamthearm Member

Go to around 3 minute mark for Octave Fuzz

11. jbd3

Thanks!

12. jbd3

It's possible to save 6 presets? Are they all accessed with that little switch between the knobs? Also, is there any way to use an external footswitch to toggle between presets? Thanks!

FbIsNotE likes this.
  13. FbIsNotE

FbIsNotE Member

There are 2 banks (red and green on indicator light) of 3 presets. Press and hold the footswitch to change banks. Toggle switch for each set of 3 presets in each bank.

If you play in Mono you can effectively have 12 presets because each preset is Stereo and each side (L/R) of the stereo patch can have its own engine!!

For example

Green Bank Preset 1 Left = TS9
    Green Bank Preset 1 Right = Smoked Glass

Green Bank Preset 2 Left = Fuzz
    Green Bank Preset 2 Right = Octavia

Etc...

The Tap Tempo switch can be used to toggle between any two engines in certain configurations.

From SA

"L.A. Lady Overdrive, Kingmaker Fuzz, and AfterShock Bass Distortion — Use the Tap Tempo Switch to toggle between any two types of distortion with the One Series distortion pedals: the L.A. Lady, Kingmaker, and AfterShock. Each pedal features dual distortion blocks that can be loaded up with any of the 40 plus distortion engines available in the Neuro Mobile App. Run the two distortion engines in parallel or cascade them internally. When cascading engines the Tap Tempo can engage or bypass either engine – perfect for switching between rhythm and lead tones. Run the engines in parallel and use the Tap Tempo to add or subtract the second engine to/from the mix. And as with all One Series pedals, the external Tap Tempo makes virtual knob changes with a single tap."

14. jbd3

That's awesome! Thanks. I just ordered a Kingmaker.

rsmith601 and FbIsNotE like this.
  15. jbd3

I asked them if the Kingmaker mixed OK with active pickups, and they said:

"Thank you for reaching out. Absolutely. The Kingmaker will function perfectly with both of those details. If things get a little noisy, it also has a built in noise gate that can be enabled with the Neuro Desktop Editoror Neuro Mobile App (free download on the App Store and Google Play)."