kings of leon...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by radiohead625, Dec 25, 2009.

1. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

ive been listening to some early kings of leon especially the album youth and young manhood... there are some pretty great tones on that album. Anyone know if they were still using their vox ac15s back then or if it was more the ampeg and matchless stuff they use now?

2. cbmccarthy

cbmccarthy Member

Vox AC15 for Caleb on rhythm; Orange for Matthew on lead. Talk about tone... first two albums are tremendous...

3. soulohio

soulohio Member

i gotta get the first two albums. as much as I dig them, I've listened to the last two discs and they sorta don't stand up after awhile... at least not as much as I originally felt. The singer does have a great voice. I don't get tired of that.

4. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

Yeah...the last two albums weren't that great, imo, especially compared to the earlier records. The earlier records were the kind where every track is great.

5. 2hanz

2hanz Member

guys!! I dont chime in here on tgp much, but I gotta disagree!!! Their last album is a song writing and vocal masterclass!

Very simplistic, great tones and most importantly great songs and a PERFECT vocal performance!

6. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I thought it was the AC15 and some sort of ampeg reverborocket?

7. Kaji13

Kaji13 Member

Those early album tones are NOICE.

8. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

The first two albums were awesome. More raw and rockin'. The last two have too many ballads and stadium anthems. No sir, I don't like it.

9. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

KoL are one of my favorite bands today, and while I do prefer their first two albums, I really do enjoy all of them, even if they did go a little more commercial/mainstream. From a business perspective it sure worked for them on the last album!!

My least favorite album from them is the third album, "Because of the Times" but every time I listen to it I enjoy it more than I thought I did. Some of the songs on their latest album are really great as well.

If you haven't, check out their "Live at the O2" DVD that recently came out, a well shot no nonsense concert DVD, they are a really great live band.

I think the key to their guitar sound is Caleb's rhythm guitar work, that semi lo-fi somewhat thin sound. Matchless/Vox type amps using those Gibson mini-humbucking pickups.

10. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

I wonder if he found another of those ES's. He broke his in a fit of rage onstage recently.

11. teleking36

teleking36 Member

Caleb is using a Matchless DC-30 and Matthew is still using his Ampeg Reverbrocket.

As for Caleb's '72 ES-325, Gibson completely rebuilt it for him. There was a big pictorial on the Gibson website with a step-by-step shot of the rebuild process.

12. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

Kind of off-topic, but when I was in college, the Strokes went on tour and Kings of Leon opened for them. I didn't know who KoL was at the time and didn't really pay attention when they opened...man, I would love to see a show like that today. The Strokes and Kings of Leon.

13. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

KOL are quite good. Live show is amazing -- just straight up good guitar, drum and bass work. Tones on both guitars are awesome and Caleb's vocals never waiver. Don't know how he can do those long concerts (like the 02 DVD) without losing his voice.

He does get mad on stage (he's on there with family, what do you expect) At our show in KC is was yelling at his brothers and the sound guy the whole time. It was pretty funny. I got one of his little white John Pearse picks, which I stopped using because I rounded the tip off) when he threw it out and it landed in the girls hoodie in front of me.

As for the albums -- they're all good. KOL is like Jimmy Eat World - I can listen to all their albums (and yes, some are more mainstream) and love every bit of it. Just because more ears find it pleasing doesn't mean the tunes are bad.

14. NeilYoung Fever

NeilYoung Fever Member

Yeah I agree to liking their older stuff more, so raw and catchy. I think I like Aha Shake Heartbreak the most. Yeah they used the mentioned equipment and I think Matthew actually used to play an Epi Sheraton. Interesting that it wasnt a Gibson, though he uses one now.

15. Pgraf88

Pgraf88 Member

Ive listened, yeah good tones and all that jazz but I just havent been able to get into them, especially the newer stuff that got them huge over the past year.

but to each their own.

16. chubaka

chubaka Member

+1

the 1st one is the best for me