• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Kings X Dogman tone

Vishnu

I have a Kingsley Jouster and a clean twin......anything I can goose the Kingsley with for this saturated guitar sound......?

if no......how else to get this level of saturation from a pedal?

give this a listen LOUD it's the dogs t*ts

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
Ty used his Zion into a rackmount recto for that album as I recall, it was just after his switch to mesa gear. I'm not sure what he's using in the live clip above but if it's from the same era that's probably what's in the rack (along with lots of other goodies).

Not a difficult basic tone to cop, but his feel is another thing entirely!

RockDebris

This was well after the Dogman album (1994) because he is using the Yamaha signature guitar (2000 - 2003). Ready for the real kicker? That could be a POD Pro. That's what he was using around that time. I think he went Lab 5, Rectifier (Dogman), POD Pro, Egnater ... I saw some Marshalls there for a bit and then Orange. I don't follow it all THAT closely, but he has been a favorite of mine for a long time, so I have a general idea what he was using when. Whatever Ty uses though, he sounds like Ty playing. However .... the Lab 5 and Strat Elite did something more for me. Every one should know this, but when hit the scene and everyone was going ape over his tone ... that was solid state (Lab 5). His using Orange solid state now isn't that unusual.

stevel

OP, do you want the live Dogman tone of this clip or that from the Album?

If you want the album tones, you need what he played on the album, not live (unless it really does sound identical).

The Ty Tabor tone has been greatly sought after and scrutinized. The primary thing was the pickups (was it lace sensors?) He also used a solid state amp.

Do some online research.

Personally, I prefer Faith Hope and Love as I felt like the engineering on Dogman (the album) wasn't that stellar (drums sound like wet paper towels) but it could be a change of gear, or it could have been studio differences, etc.

Still Dogman is a great album.

Look into the pickups though if you want the tone...

TippyRacer

This was well after the Dogman album (1994) because he is using the Yamaha signature guitar (2000 - 2003). Ready for the real kicker? That could be a POD Pro. That's what he was using around that time. I think he went Lab 5, Rectifier (Dogman), POD Pro, Egnater ...
I came to post the exact same thing!
I watched the live video to try and determine the year, cause it's obviously not from the Dogman tour. I figured it's about mid 2000's. When I saw them in that period (several times), the first time I guitar geeked out and looked at his rack I about pooped myself lol. Couldn't believe I saw rackmount Pod's!
Oh well that sounds like Ty, and a lesson for me at the time.

Gone Fission

Silver Supporting Member
Coulda swore he took a preamp circuit out of one of his Elite Strats and racked it in front of the Rectifier for Dogman. People talk Lab Series but don't talk about that preamp.

Don't forget that the Zions had Bardens--tough sounding pickups with a ton of definition.

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
Coulda swore he took a preamp circuit out of one of his Elite Strats and racked it in front of the Rectifier for Dogman. People talk Lab Series but don't talk about that preamp.

Don't forget that the Zions had Bardens--tough sounding pickups with a ton of definition.
Yep. And he has no tone control on the guitar. That is a big part of the dogman sound as it really makes the pickups come alive, especially in the 2 & 4 positions which is where he lived a lot of the time. I have heard that you can approximate the preamp with a demeter mid-boost.

Josh

Last edited:

Gone Fission

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds right. I want to say James Demeter designed the Elite boost circuit for Fender, and the Clapton mid boost is also in that circuit family.

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds right. I want to say James Demeter designed the Elite boost circuit for Fender, and the Clapton mid boost is also in that circuit family.
I wouldn't be surprised if he did. I believe he did the Tyler mid-boosts that were all the rage with session guys.

Josh

jrockbridge

About 6 years past, Ty started using an Axe FX as a muti-fx into an amp and cab. He also used the Axe FX amp models and fx for for direct recording on a solo project. At one point, his amp went down for a show and he used the Axe FX direct at a live show. The band preferred the Axe FX sound over the amp and so he started using the amp models live at that point. I don't know if he stuck with it, what he used after or what he uses now. But, he seems to be able to get that heavier Dogman sound out of a variety of different gear. In his case, it would seem that the tone truly is in his fingers.

Tmidiman

I could spend a long time on this, but I'll keep is as short as possible. I believe,...

Gretchen was recorded with the elite guitar and Lab Series L5. There used to be a video on YouTube where ty talks about it and it showed that he later made it a rack unit in his studio. The pickup in the guitar really sounded like crap, but in combo with the L5 there was a magic there.

At some point he did go to a Pod Pro on stage. There's a reason for that. There's. Model there that again is magic and few people know about it. It's a Mesa Boogie model. No surprise Ty next went to an actually Mesa Boogie amp later

Side note, Holdsworth did the same thing. He went from an L5 to a Boogie. Why? If you have the ears and listen you'll get it. Both Ty and Holds do have a similar underlying tone. And what, both use weak pickups. Ty kept his as is, but Holds boost his with a preamp. That works for the tone he wants with his technique.

So if you want that sound with your existing gear look into getting one of the Mesa Boogie pedals and run your amp clean. That's one way to do it. You could also go the cheap route and try an Aroma (Tomsline) Plexion. I believe it's supposed to sound like a Marshall, but it's surprisingly a bit like a Dual Rec in the harmonics it emphasizes.

Oh and that preamp shown above. I'm hoping to build or purchase one. The Lab Series L5 preamp is unique in it EQ scheme, something no other amp I know of delivers. Crazy thing is there isn't, to my knowledge, an amp model of the L5. Crazy!?

Also there was a vid on YouTube of a kid/guy who had an elite guitar and L5 amp. Yes he nailed the tone.

RockDebris

At some point he did go to a Pod Pro on stage. There's a reason for that. There's. Model there that again is magic and few people know about it. It's a Mesa Boogie model. No surprise Ty next went to an actually Mesa Boogie amp later
Timeline is wrong. He started using Boogie amps in 1994 (Dogman album). POD Pro didn't come out until 2001 I believe. The first POD wasn't even until 1998. I think your logic is right in a way, but in reverse. He may have dialed up the Boogie model on the POD because he was using Boogies.

Also there was a vid on YouTube of a kid/guy who had an elite guitar and L5 amp. Yes he nailed the tone.
That combo is definitely THE sound of early King's X and while Ty is identifiable by his playing and his tone choice no matter the gear, that combo is like putting a different sauce on your filet. Not so much Dogman though (which were the boogies). It's like Brandy & Pepper vs. Bernaise. The steak is still great regardless.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom