• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

King's X Dogman

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
Love this one and the Tapehead album. Killer, killer, band. Seen em several times and they never disappoint.

Bill McDowell

Gold Supporting Member
agreed - this one never gets out of my car cd player for long and was just listening to it on the way home from work. I remember seeing them on the dogman tour in san jose, they were opening for the scorpions and were awesome. Bought a dogman concert t-shirt at the time, still have it.

B Money

the 'Dogman' album was really the beginning of the second phase of King's X. They were moving toward a more straight ahead rock sound even on the 'King's X' album, but 'Dogman' really brought it home. Huge Brenden O'Brien production who was just coming off big success with STP. King's X were definitely trying to break into the mainstream and I think it was kind of like their real last shot at going big time.
Now we know that it didn't happen for them, but despite that they have continued to put out great music long after most of thier contemporaries have faded away.

I agree that 'Dogman' is one of the best hard rock albums of the 90s. It's debatable if it's the best King's X, just depends on what you like. Some guys prefer the first 4 albums which were more adventurous musically, and more overtly religious lyrically.

suckamc

Silver Supporting Member
The best hard rock tones ever

Saw them open for Pearl Jam that year. Amazing sound.

Guitarworks

Sorry. Huge King's X fan here, and I cannot agree. After Out of the Silent Planet, Gretchen Goes to Nebraska and Faith Hope Love, Dogman was a tremendous disappointment. While I concur that Ty does get some great tones on it, Dogman pales in comparison to King's X first three albums, which I felt was their best and most creative work. Dogman was the disc I was counting on to bring them back after their mediocre 4th album, and it was clear in my mind that something had gone horribly wrong with their musical direction. Thankfully Ear Candy had much of the old sound on it, and that was pretty much the last time they wrote & recorded any songs in that great original style.

stevel

I always hear that people dislike this album too. I guess because I didn't get into Kings X until FHL, that and Dogman were what I considered the band to be about. As I recall, the Drum sounds were crap but other than that I liked Dogman a lot. I felt the album was strong throughout whereas FHL had a more uneven feel. I also felt that after the success of the single from FHL that received MTV airlplay, they had some more money for the production in Dogman and looking back, it does seem kind of "indie" versus "major label" to me. I also agree that it's a shame they didn't catch on. One thing for sure, Ty Tabor's tone was unique and luscious.

Steve

blueman61

Silver Supporting Member
Everything those guys did was great. Great taste, musicianship, songwriting, vocals..... Intelligent heavy rock music. A band that should have been huge. Most bands would be happy to have their best album sound half as good as Dogman. Can't agree about it not standing up to to Gretchen or any of the others. Just my 2 cents.

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
the 'Dogman' album was really the beginning of the second phase of King's X. They were moving toward a more straight ahead rock sound even on the 'King's X' album, but 'Dogman' really brought it home. Huge Brenden O'Brien production who was just coming off big success with STP. King's X were definitely trying to break into the mainstream and I think it was kind of like their real last shot at going big time.
I disagree in that I think Ear Candy was thier last shot at "big time". That record was MADE to be more accessable to the masses. (i.e. mississippi moon). Dogman is probably my favorite KingsX album though.

Smakutus

I like all their stuff.. If they had all been white and more girly looking they would have been a bigger band.

Jeff

Telebluze

Platinum Supporting Member
Dogman is my favorite King's X album, why they are not a household name in the rock genre is beyond me. I sure hope the next generation will rediscover them. They are criminally underrated as a band.
Agree 100% on all points......

Sorry. Huge King's X fan here, and I cannot agree. After Out of the Silent Planet, Gretchen Goes to Nebraska and Faith Hope Love, Dogman was a tremendous disappointment. While I concur that Ty does get some great tones on it, Dogman pales in comparison to King's X first three albums, which I felt was their best and most creative work. Dogman was the disc I was counting on to bring them back after their mediocre 4th album, and it was clear in my mind that something had gone horribly wrong with their musical direction. Thankfully Ear Candy had much of the old sound on it, and that was pretty much the last time they wrote & recorded any songs in that great original style.
Nah, not at all.......

Cymbaline

The first King's X album I heard. I had heard some good things about them and I liked the cover with the picture of the dog on the front, so I ordered it from the BMG CD club. I had the stereo cranked really loud when I first put the album on, and when Dogman started I jumped about a foot in the air!

I love Ty's tone on that album; it's the reason I got a Dual Rectifier.

Cymbaline

Sorry. Huge King's X fan here, and I cannot agree. After Out of the Silent Planet, Gretchen Goes to Nebraska and Faith Hope Love, Dogman was a tremendous disappointment. While I concur that Ty does get some great tones on it, Dogman pales in comparison to King's X first three albums, which I felt was their best and most creative work.
I'm just the opposite. Dogman was my first, and the next one I got was Faith Hope Love, and the difference was so startling, it took a long time for me to get used to it. I didn't like Ty's tone on that one at all, way too thin and "Stratty". I like it now, but Dogman's still better.

Trending Topics