King's X. I'll Never Be the Same

Jonathan

Platinum Supporting Member
This song kicks so much ass. I drove my parents crazy with this. I cranked 3:40 as loud as my Pioneer system would go, and I couldn't get enough. Ty was a rhythm guitarist genius. And Doug Pinnick.....wtf...ridiculously heavy rock tones from that voice. This band deserves WAY more attention.

Last edited:

kennslp

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds great! I'll be checking the guys out next week in NYC. Tell me, is that a Strat Elite?

-K

fredgarvin

Gretchen Goes To Nebraska and Faith Hope Love were played quite a bit by me. he did lay down some cool chord tones, I was mostly drumming then but i used to try and get the tone once in a while.

Misterbulbous

Sounds great! I'll be checking the guys out next week in NYC. Tell me, is that a Strat Elite?

-K
The video is by "the scunion", who has done a fine job chasing Ty's tone for a long time (video 2009). He has quite a few vids, some detailing his guitar/amp setup. Great video and awesome song, nonetheless.

one could almost say they are criminally underrated.lol

Last edited:

Sean French

Been a fan since the 80's. Have seen them live a few times.
Great band.
My three favorite albums are , Gretchen , King's and Dogman.

B Money

wow, that dude really nailed that elusive early Ty tone. Excellent. It's been awhile since I listened to those first couple of albums, I'll have to go back and revisit.
Some of my favorite songs from that era are "The Fine Art of Friendship" and "I'll Never Get Tired of You".

mikebat

I have loved them since the first time I heard "Over My Head" all those years ago.

The combination of THAT voice, harmonies, tight trio playing, Ty's great playing and more interesting chords than the root/fifth that was dominating at the time.... all my musician buddies were hooked, and still are.

If there was one thing I would prefer is, and the same goes for Alice in Chains, keep the lead vocals for the strongest and charismatic singer, any song sung by Ty (or Cantrell in the case of AIC) is am exercise in imaging it sung by the better vocalist in the band, or skipping the song altogether.

tonefinger

I have to disagree. While Dugs vocals are unmatched, Ty has a distinct Beatles vibe to his voice that I really like. I agree on Cantrell though.

Trending Topics