• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

King's X in Wilmington, DE last night

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
I've been a fan of King's X since the first time I heard "King" on the radio back in '87/'88.
Finally got around to seeing them live around '92 on the self-titled "King's X" CD tour...Galactic Cowboys opened...and to this day it still holds as being one of the best live shows I've ever seen/heard.
So, when I found that they were coming around this year it was a no-brainer to see them again. Plus, I heard a few cuts from the new CD and the tunes sound good!

The show was great. None of us are getting younger and Jerry's heart/health issues put the band's future in jeopardy, but the three of them put on an amazing show. It wasn't nearly as polished as when I saw them 20+ years ago and the vibe was more chill, like seeing your friends band at a large house party, playing their favorite songs, goofing off a little, laughing off the clams...and it was really good to see them all smiling.
The three of them have been such a musical inspiration of mine over the years and it was so cool to hear all of the elements...Doug's growling bass, Jerry's super-solid and tasteful drumming and Ty's amazingly thick-yet-clear guitar tone...still alive an well. The harmonies are still there, but they're very reserved and on many songs they choose a solo lead vocal sans harmonies.

They played a couple news tunes (Go Tell Somebody and another one) and a great selection of classics (Sometimes, A Box, Thinking and Wondering, We Were Born to Be Loved, Over My Head, Dogman, Flies and Blue Skies, Groove Machine, The World Around Me and more...)
Highlights:
Near the end of the show, they turned the mics toward the audience and then played "Goldilox" while we sang the song to them...
At the meet-n-greet afterward I told Doug that I really liked the KXM and Pinnick, Gales, Pridgen CDs and his response: "Oh, YOU'RE the one who bought them..."
We bought the new CD and had them sign it. I haven't heard it all, but what I've heard I really like...

Special highlight: seated at the table next to us were some much older ladies, like someone's grand-mom or something. We figured that maybe it was a relative of someone in the opening band. Wrong. It was Jerry's mom and another relative, out to see her boy doing what he loves to do. My wife went up to her after the show and gave her a hug. She's a very proud mama and I'm sure very thankful that her son is still here with us, doing the thing that he does so well.

If you're a fan and haven't seen them yet or seen them lately, do whatever you can to go catch them live on this tour. :)

fretless

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like an awesome night! Very funny/cool what Doug said to you about the CD's.

Misterbulbous

not to be "that guy", but the new CD you're referring to came out about 5 years ago. It's great - albeit under the radar, just like their previous 5 releases.

Rayneman

Silver Supporting Member
Big fan. I'd love to see them again (15th time maybe?) but they don't seem to get anywhere near Cleveland. Hopefully they can work out a few stops that includes this area. Pinnick said recently that they are committed to another album at some point.

micycle

Seeing them in NYC tonight... haven't been to a show since Mr. Bulbous so I'm lonnnnng overdue. Super excited to get rattled by dUg's amazing sounding rig!!

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
not to be "that guy", but the new CD you're referring to came out about 5 years ago. It's great - albeit under the radar, just like their previous 5 releases.
Yeah, I got educated earlier today and discover that it actually was released over 7 years ago.
Still, it's "new" to me. :)
The last CD of theirs I bought really new was Black Like Sunday.

freedom's door

cool BLS is actually one of my favorites.
Like everything released after Tapehead, i'd say i like abut 50% of BLS. I do think it's awesome that they had a fan contest to design the cover art, and the band picked the winner. More bands should do stuff like that.

Misterbulbous

Like everything released after Tapehead, i'd say i like abut 50% of BLS. I do think it's awesome that they had a fan contest to design the cover art, and the band picked the winner. More bands should do stuff like that.
At the time, I had a baritone guitar, so a lot of the songs were fun to play along with.

Trending Topics