Kingsley 32 -- new cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by WinstonN, May 19, 2005.

1. WinstonN

WinstonN Silver Supporting Member

I just finished this cab to match my Deluxe 32. I loaded it with a late 70's lead 80 I recently found and I am VERY happy with the sound. I didn't think this speaker would have so much top end detail, and th overdrive sound is great. Very good combo...and it looks pretty good, too.

[​IMG]

2. tjs

tjs Senior Member

3. tjs

tjs Senior Member

That thing looks great, by the way.

What do all those switches on the head do?

4. WinstonN

Here's the layout:

Knobs: Cut, Reverb...Bass2, Treb2, Vol2...Bass1, Mid1, Treb1, Vol1, Gain1.

The two switches on the left are ch 2 tone bypass, which results in a considerable increase in gain (one of my fav settings) and bright boost. With the tone controls engaged and bright boost on, you can get a super sweet, sparkling tone (check out Simon's clips on the Kingsley web site). With tone bypassed, it's a much more cutting, edgier and louder, brink-of-breakup and beyond tone...very nice. With this setting, the amp

The two switches on the right are ch 1 treble boost and gain in/out. I typically keep the bright boost off on this channel and adjust the gain to dial in the amount of distortion -- and it can get fairly saturated. Flip from pentode to triode mode (switch on back), turn up the gain, and the OD gets very smooth and compressed. There's also a half power switch on the back.

Lastly, there is adjustable, footswitchable gain boosts for each channel.

I'll try to get to some clips soon.

5. 57special

57special Member

Now all you need is a White Penguin and you're all set!

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Nice work Winston!

FYI...

I've been swapping tubes on my Deluxe 32 and have improved the tone with each change so far. I put GT 12AX7Ms in the first two spots about 8 months ago, and they were much better than the JJ ECC83Ss. I recently put in NOS Amperex EL84s and that made a big difference too, especially with Channel 1 OD in Pentode/30W. I'm getting a NOS Bel ECC83 (Mullard made in India) and a NOS GE 12AX7 which I'm going to use in place of the GTMs to see what difference there might be.

The Deluxe 32 has so many layers that you'll spend months exploring them. It really is like having several amps in one.

7. tjs

tjs Senior Member

What exactly does the gain in/out switch on ch1 do? Does it engage/disengage the extra gain stage in that channel (essentially making it like ch2 with a mid control when the switch is in the "out" position?)

As far as the tone bypass switch is concerned, does it allow you to get a range of tones that can't be obtained otherwise? Can you still get that edgy, cutting sound without it?

Also, since I don't think Simon offers those as part of the "standard" Deluxe 32 package anymore, would you consider them worth paying extra for?

Thanks.

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Simon told me that it's kind like a Gain Boost switch, sort of similar to the footswitch boost, but not exactly the same. It basically kicks the Gain up a notch or two for an extra layer. I leave it On and set the Gain control to about 2:00. That gives me a nice edge of breakup tone, and when I click on the footswitch Boost, it kicks it up to a nice sustaining, smooth OD.

Using the footswitch boost on the clean channel (2), that gives you four basic layers... clean, clean + boost, OD, OD + boost, with each one being an incremental layer above the previous.

It takes the EQ circuit out of the signal path, so as Winston said, it's louder and more intense, fatter, thicker - great for blues and raw rock & roll. You're getting more power amp OD in that mode, which is tonally and feel-wise, different from the preamp based OD of channel 1.

I'm glad I have them for more tonal options. I don't think they're that costly, so I'd say it's worth it for the added variety.

9. WinstonN

HA! Then it would REALLY look like it's dressed for the prom.

10. 57special

57special Member

Or you could play "Elvis, the Vegas Years" tribute gigs dressed in a white jumpsuit.

11. WinstonN

Mac -

I just got some NOS Telams (el84s) I'm going to try, and I'd like to experiment with some preamp tubes. Which ax7 spots are 1 and 2?

12. WinstonN

...Or Pat Boon...er, I think I'll stick with Elvis...

...Just a hunk, a hunk of burning love......Thank you, thank you very much...

I could do that.

13. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Here's the tube info from Simon...

"As you know the first 12ax7 is for channel 1. The second 12ax7 is actually half for channel 2 and the other half is for channel 1. The 3rd tube is for channel 2, but will probably have less effect on the sound than tube 2 (which is the first one this channel sees). At the back of the amp, the tube on the left (further away from the power tubes) is the reverb tube. The next one is the phase splitter."

Looking at the back of the amp, the first 12AX7 on the left, closest to the front of the amp inside is the tube for channel 1. To the right of that is the second 12AX7 for channel 2 & 1, as described above. Then the third one is to the right of the second tube. The last two tubes he refers to are the ones you can readily see from the back on the left. The first three are behind the small transformer, near the front of the amp. So...

V1 - V2 - V3
    Reverb - Phase Splitter

I just tried a NOS GE 12AX7 and a NOS Bel ECC83 (Mullard tooled factory in India). The GE is big and full, with great detail and punch - a keeper. The Bel was much less powerful, so it didn't match the other tubes level wise, and therefore didn't fit in with the group. It did have very nice tones though, but I'm going to replace it. I actually really like the GT 12AX7-Ms (8 months & no problems) in V1 and V3, with the GE in V2. That's my winning combination right now.

Where did you get the Telams? I got my NOS tubes from Terry Kilgore - great guy, and great prices. Let me know how the Telams sound.

14. WinstonN

The Telams were an ebay score...11 for $75 bucks -- heck of a deal for just about any 84s! I've got several amps I'm going to try these out in, but the 32 is first.

What speaker(s) are you using. I have been using a 2x12 with G12H30 and Cele Blue, which sounds great, and a 12+10 w/ Weber blue dog and 10" Weber ceramic, also a nice combo. I am very happily surprised with the CL80 loaded new cab, though. It handles really well the 32's broad range of sounds, especially for a single 12.

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I've got a custom antique pine V front cabinet made by Bob Burt, with 2-10s and 2-12s...

top left - 10" Weber alnico California 85W
    top right - 12" Eminence alnico Red Fang 30W
    lower left - 12" Weber made, Scumback ceramic SA12-75 30W (G12H30 pre Rola clone)
    lower right - 10" Eminence ceramic Ragin Cajun 75W

Each speaker is 8 ohms and has its own speaker jack. Since the D32 has two speaker outs, I can use any combination of two, or just one. I send the direct line out on the D32 to my tc G Major, then stereo out of my G Major into a Carvin DCM150 - 50W/channel, 8 ohms - into the remaining two speakers. So with this one cabinet, I have a self enclosed wet/dry/wet rig. It sounds awesome!

I have 10 different speaker combinations with this one cabinet, including using each speaker alone (4), 2-10s, 2-12s, and 4 different 10+12 combinations, with a variety of alinco + alnico & alnico + ceramic & ceramic + ceramic. And if I change one setting on the G Major, I can get all four speakers at once, with or without fx.

I also have a 1-12 antique pine Bob Burt with an oval open back, and a matching 1-12 with a closed back and 4 small round front ports. In the open back 1-12 I'm using an Eminence Wizard, and in the closed back I'm using a 50W Alnico Weber Blue Dog.

So as you may have noticed, I've got two G12H30 type speakers (Wizard and SA12-75) and two Celestion alnico Blue type speakers (Red Fang & Blue Dog). I am planning on having another cabinet made - diagonal 2-12, with a Celestion alnico blue G12 and the new Celestion Heritage G12H30.

All of these speakers sound wonderful with the Kingsley, including the various combinations. The Blue Dog sounds great by itself, and I really like the Red Fang + California combo - 10+12 alnico, and the Red Fang + SA12-75.

I tried a Tonker, Private Jack, Weber Alnico Blue Pup 10", but didn't like them with the Kingsely.

16. WinstonN

Thanks for the good info. Impressive setup!!!

I really like the 2x12+2x10 v front concept. Bob has a great reputation. I'd like to know more about how Bobo has the jacks set up on the back of the cab -- each speaker with it's own jack, plus you can run pairs or all four off a single jack???

17. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

It's a wonderful setup, and it gives me unlimited options to explore, when you factor in the various modes and levels of the Kingsley, plus different guitars, plus pedals! :D

Bob is great. The Twin 1012V concept was mine and we collaborated on the details. This is the only one he's ever built, unless someone has ordered one since mine was built. There is one jack for each speaker, arranged in a small square on the upper back, to match the positions of the speakers when looking at the back, and that's it. There are no other connections between the speakers or the jacks.

I plug directly into the speaker I want, for either the Main jack or the Ext jack if I'm using two. Simon installed a switch on the back of my D32 for 16 ohm (using two speakers via the Main & Ext jacks) and 8 ohm (using one speaker). Each speaker is 8 ohms. The Carvin is 50W/Channel into 8 ohms, so it fits in perfectly.

To run all four, I have to change a parameter on the G Major - Kill Dry. I leave it on, so that the only thing that comes out of the fx speakers are the stereo fx, with no dry signal blended. That sounds best for a wet/dry/wet setup. If I turn Off the Kill Dry parameter, the amp's dry signal comes through blended with the fx. If I turn off the fx, I can have all four speakers dry.

And remember, this is a direct line out signal (with level control), 'after' the power amp of the D32, as opposed to an fx Loop, which is after the preamp section and before the power amp. So you're getting the full signal of the D32, which is the best for fx processing, and/or if you want to hit all four speakers.

18. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I just got this eMail from Simon re whether there is a need for using a 'balanced' tube for the phase splitter...

"There really is not any need for a balanced phase splitter. The phase inverter in my amps is not designed to give perfectly symetrical outputs anyway. Having one side of the splitter put out a slightly different signal than the other side actually enhances even order harmonics, whereas a totally symetrical output section will cancel out even order harmonics in the power amp section.

The phase splitter does of course have an effect on the tone of the amp and should be experimented with. Its effect will be more noticeable when there is less coloring from the pre-amp. In other words, use input 2 (which has one less gain stage) and try by-passing the EQ."

After some experimenting with different tubes in the various positions, I've settled on...

V1 - GT 12AX7-M
    V2 - NOS GE 12AX7
    V3 - GT 12AX7-M
    Reverb - JJ ECC83S
    Phase Splitter - JJ ECC83S
    Power tubes - 4 x NOS Amperex Bugle Boys
    Rectifier - JJ 5AR4

However, I'm after receiving the above info, I'm going to try a JJ ECC803S in the Phase splitter, and I'm going to get a NOS Mullard 5AR4/GZ34 for the rectifier.

Previously, I got this from Simon...

"As far as the rectifier goes, yes a different rectifier may make the amp feel different, but only when the amp is being pushed pretty hard, as this is the only time that there will be any significant variation in current draw by the output section, which is when a tube rectifier may sag under the extra current demand. Personally I don't like the amp to get too compressed or soft sounding at high volumes. If you want to accentuate this effect you can try different 5AR4s or put in a 5U4. Actually in my D30 I put in a solid state rectifier replacement and rather liked it too."

19. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Well, I decided to try the JJ ECC803S in the phase splitter and even in the reverb spot (I had two of them) - replacing the JJ ECC83Ss that were there...

WOW!!! :dude

Like Simon says ;) it made a very noticable difference in channel 2, which is the channel I use for cleans. It thickened the tone a little, and added a bit of punch and clarity, and when I flipped on the EQ Defeat switch it was amazing! Thick, punchy, intense, singing, screaming power amp OD of the righteous rock & roll variety. Roaring, but without losing detail or becoming mushy. Who'd a thunk? And the reverb was improved too - more open, spacious, detailed and rich.

And, since I'm using my various OD/Boost pedals through the clean channel, they were improved too!

I really like the JJ ECC803S much better than the JJ ECC83S. I can't wait to see/hear/feel what the NOS Mullard GZ34 rectifier will do. :cool:

Man, I'm having fun! :D :eek:

My Kingsley has never sounded better. A major improvement in tone and feel all around. Mind blowing for me.

By the way, Winston - sorry for hijacking the thread. But since we started discussing tubes, etc, I thought it was OK and that you'd be interested too, as would other Kingsley lurkers.

20. WinstonN

Don't be sorry -- I appreciate all the info. I'm going to put it to good use :D .