Kingsley D30 is on the way...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bobbymack, Jun 3, 2005.

1. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

My new Deluxe 30 head will be here on Tuesday. Almost 4 months from order date, but I am big jazzed anyway!

Gonna slap a quad of Mullard RTCs in there. Will give a full report...:p

2. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I recently put a matched quad of Amperex Bugle Boy EL84s, an Amperex/Mullard GZ34 and NOS RCA 12AX7 and NOS GE 12AX7, and it made a world of difference in my D32 - huge improvement.

3. bobbymack

Cool. I'll be getting into the tube drawer too, have a good amount of Bugle Boy, Telefunken, Mullard, RCA etc preamp tubes to play with.

Hell, I'm psyched to hear the tone right out of the box too!

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Of course, you should first play/listen to it stock to fully grok its tonal character. Then start tube swapping - with your tubes, I'm sure you'll take it up several notches. I'm hooked on NOS now, although I do have a GT12AX7M in the phase splitter - not balanced - per Simon's recommendation, and it made a nice improvement. I'm also using a new JJ ECC803S for reverb and V3.

5. bobbymack

Doesn't it ship with all new JJs?

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Yes, but the last time I communicated with Simon, he still hadn't had a chance to check out the new JJ ECC803S, which is a big improvement over the ECC83S, IMHO. It really opened up the reverb - more spacious, detailed and rich. And I liked it better in various preamp positions too.

7. bobbymack

OK, good to know. Is Bob @ Eurotubes the man to get the 803s from, and/or Lord Valve? I've heard good things elsewhere re: these tubes, probably should get some to check out...

8. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I get my JJs from Bob at Eurotubes. It's worth getting a couple. They appear to be one of the better new production preamp tubes.

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Anyone A/B'd a Kingsley with a Matchless *C30 or Bad Cat Trem Cat?

The cleans sound very similar, from the clips..... not sure about the overdrive ....

10. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I've done so with a c30 and Kingsley. Way more bass clarity on the Kingsley and the top end is more controllable. The c30 has way more mid thickness. After trying them for some weeks I sold the c30 and now will buy a d30 head from Simon. I also sold my d30 combo because it was too heavy, but I knew I would be ordering a head shortly. Distortion on the Kingsley is more versatile and can cop Marshall and Dumble. I like both of those amps but the Kingsley is just better suited to my needs.

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

For not very much more money, you can get a D32 - two preamps instead of one. Set one for clean and the other for preamp OD - or set one for power amp OD and the other for clean. Very versatile.

12. 57special

57special Member

On my older D30 I preferred the EI EL84's (microphonics and all) to the stock JJ's. i threw some mullards in that sounded great in an old Vox head and they didn't sound significantly better to my ear than the EI's. I believe the older D30's, while very sweet sounding in the clean channel, needed the high end that the EI's delivered, whereas the newer D30's are a bit brighter, i believe.
    I keep waiting for one of you guys to get sick of his D32 and sell it to me cheap!

13. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Not much chance of that here. :eek:

After upgrading the tubes on my D32, I love it even more! That, and the 3 new speakers I just got - Fane AXA12, George Scholz/Harry Joyce, & Two Rock 12-65 - have introduced new levels of tonal excellence that are nothing less than inspiring.

I continue to be amazed at the versatility of this amp and the wide pallette of tones that are available - it's a multi-trick pony!

14. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Oh yes,
    that Fane is magical with the d30!!

15. bobbymack

"Out For Delivery"....oh yeah.:dude

16. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

As I live pretty close to Simon, I was fortunate enough to borrow a Deluxe 30 for a weekend a couple of years ago. Awesome amp. An ex bandmate of mine bought a Deluxe 30 2x12 with Celestion Blues and it's sweet. I will probably buy a Deluxe 30 or 32 within a year or so. Head version. I've got a Kingsley 2x12 cab with Weber alnico blues in it. Great cab.

taco

17. billstets

billstets Member

WOW, Simon has a helluva backlog! I got my D30 2x12 almost a year ago, and I think the lead time was about a month back then. The month about killed me. 4 months would be unbearable.

Hope you dig it. I love my D30 combo mmore an more all the time. Works great with pedals, so I find more great sounds all the time by experimenting with pedals.

18. bobbymack

...but I am in the self-imposed period of silence until I'm comfortable that any honeymoon has worn off.

I will give a full report, suffice it to say for now that I am a VERY happy guy.:D :D :D

19. BM3-

No matter where you go, i'll follow...

I'm happy you're digging the new amp'r.

How does the dickey bett lester sound with it; what guitar sounds the best; any distinction with any different pups?

Still digging my BAD CAT; just purchased, but need delivery on a matching tolex BAD CAT 2 x 12.....

Kilroy's got your back...

p.s.: booked for north carolina coast (topsail island) 12-19august, so will you blow off all of your duties and drive across I-40 with lots of gear to hang with us at the beach?? I'll play rhythm for the first five hours and then play some solos..

20. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Am I the only one that finds this post a tad...strange?
    :confused:

:p