Kingsley D32 and D32C users: Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluessyndicate, Jan 18, 2008.

1. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

For those of you who use A/B pedals. How much hum do you notice when you use an A/B pedal? i.e. compared to how quiet the amp is without the a/b pedal plugged in, how much hum do you find once you plug the a/b pedal in.

I've heard that a little hum is usually introduced on amps when you hook up an A/B pedal, and that the amount of hum you get varies from amp to amp.

I certainly do notice this as well on my /13 RSA 23..if I hook up an a/b pedal I get some hum if I jack the click channel volume up half way or more.

Please share your experience with me...it will help me as I work with Simon to decide direction on a few things.

Thanks much.

2. bluessyndicate

Bump...inquiring minds....

3. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Interesting question. So here is a bump for you, I'd like to know. I don't know why they would introduce any hum at all. Maybe it is a ground lift issue? If you are using an A/B Pedal to switch between two amps and one is cranked that is going to introduce a certain amount of hiss naturally I would think but I am just speculating, I've never used one.

4. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

it is an interesting question and I very recently got both a Kingsley Deluxe 32C and a tonebone switchbone a/b/y...I haven't hooked up the a/b pedal yet but will do so very soon and report back...I have heard about the hum issue as well and Tonebone certainly addresses this in the manual for the Switchbone, claiming that they have taken steps to minimize hum (more than some other unnamed a/b pedals)...I imagine and hope there won't be almost any hum when using the a/b pedal just to switch back and forth and blend channels on the 32C...I am guessing the hum will be a little worse when blending two different amps but I am hopeful that the Switchbone will be effective in cutting down the hum in that situation...

5. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Member

I've yet to find an a/b/y pedal that doesn't hum when switching back and forth. Please let me know if one exists. What about the Lehle stuff, does it do it?

6. 57special

57special Member

Actually, i found the opposite. I had a two channel Kingsley, and it hummed more w/o an A/b box. I asked Simon about it, and he said that was normal.

7. SKJ

SKJ Member

Here is the situation - when you use an A/B box with two amps you are very likely to encounter a ground loop. However, you should not when using an A/B box to switch between two channels of the same amp.

The D32 is a two channel amp without channel switching. Like other two channel amps (say, a Fender Super reverb, Vox AC30, many others - Matchless, BadCat etc), if you turn up the channel you are not using you will hear background hiss from that channel, even though you are playing through the other channel. The amount of hiss the un-used channel produces depends on the settings of that channel obviously. In vintage style amps this background hiss/noise should not be a problem generally speaking as the amps tend not to be very high gain. With the D32 there is potential for more hiss than from say a vintage Fender, because the D32 OD channel has a lot of gain on tap.
    So if you play the amp at high volume settings on both channels, and have a fair amount of pre-amp gain on the OD channel, when you switch to the clean channel with an A/B box there will be some background hiss generated by the un-used OD channel. At gigs this gets easily eaten up by other stage noise, but if you are playing at home at these kind of levels then you will hear it.

Like I say this will be just the same with any two-channel amp that does not have channel switching.

To clear up another small point - the level of background noise generated by the amp with an A/B box will be no higher than when plugging directly into the amp, as long as the A/B box grounds its un-active output (most do).

Simon
    Kinsley Amplifiers

8. bluessyndicate

Thanks all, for your inputs.

We've learned/re-learned to distinguish the difference between noise occurring while a/b ing two different amps vs. using an a/b on a two channel amps. And as Simon has pointed out, the single amp two channel issue is not necessarily the a/b pedal....in fact my /13 RSA 23 does have hiss that is dependent on the high gain (click) channel's volume setting, regardless of when I'm using the A/B pedal (switchazel) or not...I had thought it only happened on my /13 when the a/b pedal was used, but now I have verified that's not the case.

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I use an A/B/Y pedal from Loooper and it works fine with my D32 and D32C - no hum. The hum from the D32 & D32C can be caused due to the fact that the 12AX7 tube in V2 is shared by both channels - the 1st half of the tube is for channel 1 and the 2nd half of the tube is for channel 2. So if you have the Gain set higher on channel 1, the noise from that will be heard, even when using channel 2.

IIRC, Simon changed this in the ToneBaron design. I do get some hum from my D32C from time to time, but it's primarily due to my 2 flat screen monitors and other gear. When my Mac is off, the D32C is pretty quiet.

10. bluessyndicate

Thanks Ron! You getting any closer to ordering that Tone Baron!?! Is there a relief fund I can donate to? I have an old MXR Distortion Plus I can put in the bin! :AOK