Kingsley D32R: Pics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluessyndicate, Feb 10, 2008.

1. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

So close and yet so far! The amp is still in Canada with Simon, but is headed my way soon. This has been a tremendous collaboration in terms of working closely with Simon over a few months to bounce ideas off each other in terms of requirements vs. design trade offs. The effort started at the outset with considering various different Kingsley platforms as a starting point, went through several designs and tone tests, and ended up with new features and new cabinet dimensions for a nice look. The end result appears to be exactly what I was after. Simon says it sounds great to his ears. I can't wait...I've wanted a Kingsley for years and had a hard time taking the "blind" leap of faith until finally having played one at the most recent L.A. Amp Show. In retrospect, given all the great feedback by current Kingsley owners, given my hands on experience at the LA Amp Show, and given my recent experience getting to know Simon and what he is capable of, I'd recommend any interested to just do it.

It has been truly a pleasure to interact with Simon over the last few months in order to spec out this amp. He has shown incredible patience, determination and insight. I can't say enough about working with him and the entire Kingsley Amplifier team.

[​IMG]

D32R
    30 watts, 4xEL84
    Dual independent reverb (Dwell control on gain channel)
    True channel switching footswitch (no a/b pedal)
    Dual Variable Boosts (std)
    Variable EQ Lift Footswitch (new feature) gain channel
    EQ Lift Switch clean channel
    Mid Smoothing Switch (borrowed Tone Baron technology)
    Gain Switches (clean and gain)
    Vertical 1x12 with Celestion Gold

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Fantastic setup!!! I love the custom features, especially, "Variable EQ Lift Footswitch (new feature) gain channel & Variable EQ Lift Switch clean channel". I'm definitely going to get that with my ToneBaron. The channel switching is nice too, although you do lose combining the 2 channels, which is especially nice combining the Boosted clean channel with the unboosted Gain channel. It's great being able to work with someone like Simon to customize your amp.

When does it arrive?

3. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Wow that looks awesome and I bet it sounds even better. I've been Jonesing for a Kingsley for a while. I've been on the wait list for an AXE-FX ULTRA for about 6-7 months. Posts like this make it really hard to wait. Wish I had the money for both.

If I am not mistaken when you get the channel switching option with the ToneBaron you can still run the amp in series or Parallel.

How does the "variable EQ lift" work? I thought with the eq lift the tone stack was in or out. How can it be part way out???? Cool feature. I love the PTP shot. Wow what a work of art.

I'm not sure if I should thank you for posting this or not!:Devil Gear lust rears it's ugly head again! No joking aside I think you are going to be really pleased when you get it.

Best,

Jeff

4. 57special

57special Member

The thing about the basic 4xEL84 Kingsley is that it has a really good sound as it's base, THEN Simon finds a way to throw a bunch of features on top of that sound. Sometimes it seems that amp designers start with a plethora of features, then work hard as hell to make it sound like something.
    If i order another Kingsley, i might go in another direction and get his "Classic" which is just the one channel, no master, though it would have the 1/2 power switch.

5. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Hey just had a thought, Why did you decide on a D32 instead of the ToneBaron? Is it because you prefer EL84?

6. bluessyndicate

That was the hardest decision of all....and I hinted toward the amount of due diligence initially deciding which platform...in the end you are right, I was after the EL84, to such an extent that I did not even get the D32C option which would have allowed other tubes to be used on this D32R. I already have EL34 and 6L6, KT88 and other amps. The Tone Baron is a kick ass amp, having played it in L.A.... It was extremely hard not to go that route. It's just that damn EL84 that had it's grips into me, and not needing the flexibility to use the other tube types. I'll tell you what though, the Tone Baron's series/parallel mode sounds great, and opens up great possibilities...especially in terms of going series mode and injecting digital delay after the gain and before the cleans...what a great lead sound, and great solution to the typical problems of gain distorted digital delay!

7. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Hey congrats on the new amp....I think you and I exchanged a couple emails on this one because I have a similar amp in the que with Simon. I'd really be interested in hearing how you like the footswitchable EQ lift. For some reason I recall you were going to end up with footswitchable reverb on both channels too...???? You are going to love this amp. I've had two of Simon's amps. Simon is the best to work with too, incredibly patient and an out of the box thinker. I love his amp designs. Let me know when it arrives...I am just down in San Jose :)
    Cheers
    -Dave

8. bluessyndicate

You're right Ron, in order to achieve my goal there were things I had to let go, including the a/b combination which would have been nice. I had not considered how nice the blend of unboosted gain with boosted clean would be, good one! If I had gone another route we might have evaluated the feasibility of something akin to the ToneBaron's series mode with channel switching which would have been the series combination of both channels with the footswitching being able to remove one of the channel from the equation. I am not sure of arrival date as I received these pics last night around midnight, and because I've encouraged Simon to keep the amp a few days if he decides he needs better pics or even clips. Safe to say I'll have it within a few weeks. The agony of the wait......thanks by the way for the great conversations we had in the Kingsley room at the amp show, and via e-mail since, discussing your favorable Kingsley experiences.

Jeff....I think we all encouraged you in another post to "simply" get them both...or just go Kingsley! I wish you could have seen the rubber neckin at the LA Amp show when people walked by and heard the tones comign out of the kingsley room. It was funny (and a shame) that the Kingsley room was directly across from the Cameron room...so people walked by and the halls were filled with unreasonably high volume noodling..but then it would stop and people would hear this heavenly tone (Cameron sounded good as well, don't get me wrong) and they would rubber neck..."whoa what was that...". Yes the Tone Baron can run in series or in parallel. Ask Simon regarding to what extent that is channel switching via effects loop pedal footwitching or other means.

The variable EQ Lift is a fantastic idea and I am really fired up about how this feature will essentially act like an entire different channel mode. I had EQ lift (bypass) on my Two Rock Custom Reverb Sig and thought it was a fantastic feature..very organic and a great way to add a gain/boost to a clean channel. I asked Simon if this feature could be made foot switchable..and he comes back with "yes, indeed...and by the way how about if I use my variable boost foot switch technology to make it foot switchable so that I can control the amount of volume boost that comes when the EQ lift is engaged...". Sound of jaw hitting floor.."Uh..., yes ok Simon that sounds pretty good to me..."

You're right about that....once a gain at the outset I was open to many directions including a straight D30 with the variable EQ lift pedal that he and I talked through.

Hi Dave, yes I remember our e-mails about this direction. The reverb is not footswitchable but always engaged to the extent it's dialed in. A Footswitchable reverb would be a useful feature for the clean channel for some deep smoky blues solo's... Talk to Simon! You are spot on about working with him, as you well know. You are in San Jose? I see a San Jose tone fest potential looming....including Kingsley's, /13, Aiken, Bruno, Komet's, Top Hat's, Heritages, Jake's and more!

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

That's a seriously awsome amp.
    I think my next amp (after the concorde) will be a Kingsley (or Mad professor). Point is, I *will* have one eventually.

10. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

Wow, congrats on a really cool amp! I too love the idea of the variable eq lift and boost...it looks really as well. I like the more angular and less cursive script on how the "Kingsley" is written.

That is going to be a fantastic amp and I hope you post some clips when you get it!

It is really cool that you can work so closely with Simon and he just seems an endless supply of innovative twists and turns on his already quite innovative and original products...

I love my Kingsley and I am sure I haven't even heard a fraction yet of all the great sounds in that thing!

11. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    Oh yeah ! In fact, Val King was mentioning something to me about having a tonefest sort of thing at his shop something this summer. Regardless, I think a Nor Cal tonefest is needed this year.

Are you up in The City ? When do you get the amp ?....I'd love to check it out when you get it. It looks awesome by the way. Congrats again dude:AOK
    -Dave

12. bluessyndicate

I'm hoping th try a Concorde in L.A. next week during a business trip. The Concorde and MP are quite a curiosity for me as well...although I think I will have to do some spring cleaning in terms of my amp inventory... I'm sad to say. I just don't have the friggin room for all these amps! I will probably have to start doing a little more playing and a little less amp research.

Thanks! I'll try...yes, word!

I'm in. Far east bay. ~2 weeks? Thanks!

:D:AOK

13. Phloored

Phloored Member

Mondo Solens...........uh!

enjoy!

14. rrhea

rrhea Member

First of all, congrats of the amp! It looks beautiful. Love the cabinet. I have a feeling I'll be getting one for my Kingsley at some point in the future. As many of you already know, I have a ToneBaron on order and Simon is currently working on it. I just can't wait! :D

Speaking of the EQ lift footswitch, it's cool that you asked for that because I did, too! I wasn't sure it could be done on the TB, but Simon said it would be no problem. ;) Awesome. The way it will work with the TB is the clean channel will have the EQ lift switch on the amp as normal, but the input 1 (od channel) will have the footswitchable EQ lift as an add-on feature. I also requested the channel footswitch, which will allow me to run in series or parallel and still switch channels without the need of running an ABY box. ;) Very cool, indeed.

Just curious, you mention wanting to go the EL84 route for variety (I love that sound, too, BTW)... but you could have still gotten a TB and just Yellow Jacket'ed down to 84s. Not sure if that would sound quite the same as an amp with sockets that accept 84s only, or not. Would there be a major difference in tone?

RR

15. bluessyndicate

Thanks! Congrats on the ToneBaron!

That is how mine is working as well, footswitch EQ lift on gain, manual switch on clean. I possibly could have gone footswitch EQ lift on clean as well, but it comes down to how many features you want and how much room is left for footswitch relays etc....Yes I could have gone the TB route with yellow jackets, but I simply didn't need the flexibility of the other tube types and preferred to focus on EL84 specifically. Otherwise I certainly would have gone the Tone Baron route.

16. rrhea

rrhea Member

Gotcha! Simplicity is a beautiful thing. :) I am already trying to figure out how many pedals and other crap I can eliminate from my rig to get as close to just plugging straight into the amp as possible. ;)

After careful consideration I may well be able to get away with just a wah and a delay for most stuff. I've never been much of an effects user anyway.

Simple circuits and as few patch cables and tone-sucking pedals as possible cannot be a bad thing. :D

RR

17. bluessyndicate

Man I'm still trying to find a translations for Mondo Solens, and altavista translations is of little use....

I'm pretty sure it's favorable, however...thanks!

18. rrhea

rrhea Member

:D He's referring to the Solen filter capacitors in the amps circuitry being huge. That's about all I know... much to learn with amps. ;)

RR

19. bluessyndicate

LOL!

In Alta vista I got Mondo to mean Clean or World...Solens never came across...regardless of spanish, italian, greek or portugese...go figure..now it makes sense!

Thanks.

20. Phloored

Phloored Member

[​IMG]

From Solens site:

Sonic performance

The SOLEN Fast Capacitors exhibit near-zero losses, they reduce linear, nonlinear distortion and phase distortion to unmeasurable level, showing an almost unbelievable ideal capacitance reactance curve which give the highest level of signal resolution. They literally disappear, they are a step across the boundary of an ordinary capacitor, they make you experience for the first time the visionary world of "real music," it is a masterpiece beyond a capacitor, they make the incredible audible.

Pure music enlightenement