Kingsley Deluxe 32C in the house OMG!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by farlowhigh, Jan 9, 2008.

1. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

wow...this is an amazing amp I am only beginning to explore...got it used from Bobbymack (thanks again, Bob!) and it has powerscaling as well as the really cool mod whereby you can blend to taste the 2 EL84s and 2 6V6s (and swapping for any other octal tubes without rebiasing!)...almost an overwhelming number of options...you can also turn off the EL84s altogether and run the amp as a dual 6v6 amp...there is an amazing eq lift switch that takes out the tone stack, adds lots of gain and essentially makes it sound like a whole extra amp! so 2 channels and then the eq lift option so almost 3 channels! I got it partly for the beautiful cleans but I am surprised that so far, I have been playing the more gainy channel 1 more often so far...gain switch on the lead channel and bright switches on both channels, not to mention great responsive tone controls on both channels and onboard reverb...another option to partly blend both channels and I haven't even tried it with the Tonebone switchbone yet!

half-power (pentode-triode) option for each type of tube (I like the amp better so far with all 4 power tubes and in pentode mode and using the powerscaling to control the volume).

amp sounds great with all guitars although so far I am digging the sound with humbuckers the most...

seems to pair beautifully with an openbacked Top Hat 2x12 cab with a blue and a G12H...

I bought this thinking I would play it mostly clean with a strat but so far I am really loving the od sounds on this amp with ES-335...

this amp is everything I hoped it would be and more! I may well sell some stuff soon as this amp covers a lot of tonal ground...or at least that is what a sane person would do...

this amp is exceptional and I urge people to check it out as soon as possible...I took a chance and bought it without hearing it first (no Kingsley dealers anywhere near me that I know of) and I couldn't be happier with it! the powerscaling works beautifully as well, but as a Badger owner, this didn't surprise me...

I wasn't looking for another amp but this amp came along at a great price and my wife, god love her, could see the unusually desperate acquisitive look in my eyes and contributed substantially to the cost of the amp, making it a virtually risk-free buy for me...

anyone else out there loving their Kingsley Deluxe 32C? any wise suggestions for settings? it really is a swiss army knife amp and I find new tones on this thing every time I turn it on...

2. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

I was looking at that amp too.
    It sure looked nice. I hope to try one sometime.

Have a lot of fun with it! :AOK

PS: I did pick up a Chicago Blues Box Kingston 30 and I am loving it.
    But, hope a Kingsley comes up when I can swing another amp buy.

3. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

definitely try one when you can...great amp! I have heard great things about your amp as well...haven't been able to play one yet but hopefully one will show up some day in the music shops I occasionally haunt...

4. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

Simon is working on my 32 as we speak. I can't wait. Congrats.

5. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

definately one of the best amps being made today.

6. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

bluessyndicate, I am sure it will be worth the wait...this thing is like 6 amps in 1...and not a bad sound to be found!

Mastervolume, wow! that is quite a statement coming from you, given that you have tried and owned more amps than anyone I have ever heard of...was it one of the few to make the grade and stay with you for a long time? given your vast experience with amps, would you mind giving a bit more of your opinion about this amp, what you like about it, what it reminds you of, what is distinctive, etc.?

7. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I just liked how it sounded. The only drawback for me as the weight of the combo that I had, it really was like 100#.

It just breathed well. super touch sensitive and a joy to just play.

8. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults

Agreed. I have a D30C 1x12 combo with powerscaling and it sounds absolutely fantastic !

9. trazan

trazan Member

There are some sweet sounds on Kingsley's page, but I'm curious though, can the Deluxe's and the ToneBaron also sound more angry/edgy? The smooth, dynamic sounds that are there can be nice to have but how about some keerrrang and "deluxe" rawness?

This thread is pointless without clips btw :RoCkIn;)

10. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults

Ok. well here is a VERY CRUDE RECORDING of my D30C. I just plugged my stock Gibson SG right into the amp and hit record on my laptop recorder (computer was sitting nearby)....you can tell by the fidelity that no fancy tools were used to record. Anyway, you might get the sense of how much gain and crunch is on tap with this amp....if you want it.

Here is the file

http://media.putfile.com/walking-85-19

Cheers
    -Dave

11. eric-d

eric-d Member

12. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Congrats! What an awesome amp. I've been eyeballing one of these for a while. I've been on the wait list for a Fractal Audio Axe-FX for about 6 months. If it doesn't work out I'll get a Kingsley ToneBaron. I exchanged about a half a dozen emails with Simon Jarrett about the ToneBaron. He is way more than patient.

BTW I spoke to Simon about the difference between the ToneBaron Clips and the Deluxe clips on his web site. They seemed darker to me and he mentioned that they were recorded differently but that most of the tones you can get out of a deluxe 30 or Deluxe 50 were on tap with a ToneBaron and more.

Cool look with the Copper face plate and the embroidered logo:dude!

When I get the email from Fractal I wonder if I'll pull the trigger?
    Maybe I should just throw down on the Kingsley and be done with it! :crazy

13. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

Throw down! I did it and I feel great! No buyers remorse whatsoever!

You can't choose a better guy to work with.

14. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Yes I know. Simon Jarrett and the amps he builds are awesome. He's also a hell of a player.

I have not doubt that the Axe-fx is a great piece of gear. The consensus of opinion is that the FX are world class and the amp Sims not only sound good they feel good which is where most modeling rigs fall short. The Axe-fx would solve a few problems for me. One is stage volume. Two, is I won't need a separate amp for Bop on an Arch top, three it can be a simple rig with an FR set up. The down side is I don't want to spend a lot of time chasing rabbit trails programing the thing. There are endless ways to set it up and endless ways to program the signal chain. I am a bit of a Luddite, plug and play guy. I was thinking since I have a 30 trial period to give the Axe-fx a go and if I did not like it send it back and get the ToneBarron. By the time I option out a ToneBarron and get a speaker cab I would be out about the same as an Axe-fx Ultra, powered monitor and a Midi Pedal. I have never owned or programed anything midi. Rightly or wrongly I am concerned that I will be asking my self things like, "Where did my patch go?" "Why won't this thing make a sound?". On the other hand I may find pay dirt quickly and not spend too much time fooling with menu's and eq's etc and just plug in and play. The AXE-FX is a computer. A Kingsley ToneBarron is a playable work of art.

Out,

Jeff
    PS sorry, I didn't mean to high jack your thread. I just need to make a decision. I've had 6 months to make up my mind and I find I am no closer than I was 6 months ago.

15. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

hey, no problem! I am always eager to hear more about all things Kingsley...I must say that I have only become even more impressed by the Deluxe32C...this thing has an incredible range of sounds and you can get some amazing od sounds with humbuckers...I certainly have no buyer's remorse at all with this thing...interesting to hear about the Tone Baron...I was wondering what the differences were beyond the higher wattage...If you are considering the Deluxe30 or 32, definitely give the 32 a serious look as both channels are really amazing...I thought I was going to hang out mostly on the clean channel but I am using both channels equally and I haven't even tried an A/B/Y box yet to switch and blend the two channels...the Kingsley is clearly really well made and has a cool aesthetic to boot...

I have heard only good things about the AxeFX system...I say, get both!

16. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Get both?! You Devil! I wish I could! I sold my Rivera Quiana Studio 112 and an Evan JE200 to raise enough funds to get most of the way there.

The differences between the ToneBarron and a D32C?
    The first obvious one is Octal based power tubes not the 9 pin EL84. The D30 series have a vox kind of a vibe about them although to say it is a vox clone way off base. It is more accurate to say the power amp side of the D30 is vox flavored. Compared to your optioned out D32C there are not that many differences.

Series or parallel operation. In series channel one pre amp is put in front of channel two.

Option wise you can get
    Channel switching
    foot switchable boost for one or both channels
    Both Cathode and Fixed biased (If I get one I'm definitely getting this

Here is a photo of the front

[​IMG]

17. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

Here is some photo's of the back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

In series, the gain channel benefits from reverb.

You can use an effects loop pedal to safely inject time based effects such as delay between ch 1 (gain) and ch 2 (clean) which is a killer sound.

I can't remember if a stock D32 has a mid smooth switch as the tone baron does..which is a useful feature.

I can't remember if the stock D32 has an EQ lift feature which likewise is a useful feature.

19. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

my 32C doesn't have a mid smooth switch and that does sound cool...but I am not complaining as the 32C has its fair share of switches!
    I do have the eq lift switch which is really really cool and almost seems like a third channel given how different that switch can make the sound...love the eq lift switch in conjunction with humbuckers...definitely gives a pretty thick and aggressive sound and with single coils, the eq lift just thickens up the tone and gives extra depth and richness, for lack of better words...

can't get to the pictures you posted...it just takes me to google mail site and asks me to log in...does one need a gmail account to see the pictures?

I don't mean particularly to be a devil, but after all, enabling fellow gear fans to make relatively guilt-free purchases is one of the selling points for the Gear Page, isn't it?!

20. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Here's part of the back story...

I remember when a TGP member eMailed me privately about a special amp he had Simon make for him - it was what eventually became the D32C. When I heard about it, I immediately contacted Simon and began discussions to get one for myself. I had a D32 at the time and was one of the first on TGP to get a Kingsley, based only on the clips and a few reviews around the net. I got the 3rd D32C and the first one with Power Scaling. Simon hadn't heard about PS at the time and got the kit from London Power. I didn't get reverb on mine, and I have a direct line out with level control.

Once I had my D32C for a while, I began communicating with Simon about possible changes to take it to another level, eg: more headroom, more tube options, etc. I was very surprised when he announced the ToneBaron, which incorporated a few of the things we discussed, as well as many other innovations from Simon's brain. I heard it at the LA Amp Show last Oct, where it was debuted. I WANT A TONEBARON!!! :D I Will be getting one and selling my D32C, hopefully within the next couple of months.

As far as the D32C, I agree whole heartedly, that it is an absolutely killer amp and I love it. You're right that it has virtually unlimited tonal options, especially when you start swapping tubes - that's where some great fun starts. I decided to go nuts and get a pair of each holy grail power tube...

RCA 6L6GC, RCA 6V6GTA, Mullard EL34 xf2, Tesla EL34, Tung Sol 5881, JAN Philips 7581A, Mullard EL84, Telefunken EL34, Mullard, Amperex, Telefunken 12AX7s, Mullard GZ34.

Let me tell you that these tubes are worth their weight in Gold, and can cost almost as much, although I got really great deals on all of them - well below the typical higher prices. They don't change the amp completely, but you will definitely hear and feel the unique mojo of each of these tubes, and it's fantastic to be able to combine them.

I set my Kingsley up with 4 basic layers... clean, clean + boost (you didn't mention the boost foot switch), OD, OD + boost. Then you can combine both channels in either mode for more layers.

The D32 cured my amp GAS until I heard about the D32C, which cured my amp GAS up till I heard about the ToneBaron!!!

Here's some speaker recommendations for you... Celestion Gold, Celestion Heritage G12-65, EVM 12L, Scholz, Fane.

As far as clips go, here are some that I've done over the last few years...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=187271

The first 4 clips are with my D32C and the next 2 are with the D32 - recording details are in the clip notes. BTW, the last clip was a V-Stack Tweedy pedal, recorded direct.

BTW, Simon recently told me that the D30/32 series is sort of a Vox + Fender preamp with a Vox + Marshall power section. The ToneBaron is similar in this regard.