Kingsley Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by melvins, Aug 25, 2014.

1. melvins

melvins Member

These amps look so cool! Anyone have/had one that they can give some input about?

A few vids on YouTube, sounds like a nice jazz amp. How about rock? Can this amp cover some AC/DC classic rock Zep tones?

2. melvins

melvins Member

3. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member Vendor

I've got a Kingsley Deluxe 32 that I've had for several years. It is the most versatile and touch sensitive amp I've ever played. Yes, the Kingsleys can rock like crazy. I would say that mine would not be at home playing modern Metal, but it excels at pretty much anything else. The Deluxe 32 has two channels, and I set one to clean or verge of breakup and the other to the drive of choice. There is full EQ on each channel as well as three levels of gain set by front panel toggles. Oh yeah, the half power and triode/pentode settings all sound great and I use them. Also, the footswitches are set up to do a separate dialable boost for each channel, as well as the option to footswitch an EQ lift, which is also dialable. While the Simon's designs don't need drive pedals, the amp takes pedals and makes them sound more amp-like.

I'm surprised there are not more Kingsley amp owners here because they are just wonderful designs. I'm sure others with Kingsley experience will chime in here as there is some deep Kingsley respect from the folks who have them.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  4. melvins

melvins Member

Thanks for your input James!

These amps look awesome and I like the few demos that I heard, just wished they showed some heavier stuff, not to the point of metal though.

Would you say the gain is more "Marshall" flavored than anything else?

5. jbxenon

jbxenon Member

I own two custom bulit Kingsley amps based on the Deluxe line. They can really do anything you want them to. The cleans are just gorgeous. With a PPIMV, which can be added by Simon, you can dial with the help of the most effective TMB controls, any overdrive chatachter you wish, from Fender brakeup to Marshall grind. Alternatively, (and this is how I like to use my amps) you can use the Kingsley Jester, which is basically a standalone overdrive channel of a Kingsley Deluxe, in conjunction with the amp to get even more versatility. This way you can achive low gain and higher gain suitable even for metal.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  6. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member Vendor

I wouldn't say that the Kingsly gain is more Marshall flavored than anything else, mainly because the Deluxe is so versatile. I'm not being vague, it's just that I've been able to get great Marshall sounds, as well as Vox-like, Fender, and I often set mine to sound like a Dumble/Marshall hybrid. One of the tgp members here is named BluesSyndicate. I bought my Kingsley from him, and I think he plays some harder Rock in his bands. He may be able to give you more answers.

Here's a thread with some good discussion from when he originally bought the Kingsley. I absolutely love mine for the tones I want, but keep asking as there are some great players here who have, or have had Kingsleys.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/350939&highlight=concorde

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. billstets

billstets Member

I've had a Deluxe 30 2x12 combo for 10 1/2 years and it's my go-to amp. I get lots of compliments on the tone. Lots of guys a re just knocked out by it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  8. 2manygtrs

2manygtrs Member

I've got a D32C head with EL34s and 84s in it in Roadcase that I'm going to be posting soon I think. Just seem to play my Diezel and Badcat and Roccafortes more. I think the Kingsley is too much amp for me. There's so many sounds in it and I usually just hit a drive channel and use my vine knob on guitar... I simplified a few years back for better or worse. Haha!
    I only mentioned the D32C because I know there's not many around.

9. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

To the OP, I have a Deluxe 30 2x12 combo, that has been my main amp for about 6 months. It's a very early model from 2002, with less option then some more ''modern'' ones. I think of it like a very nice AC-30 with reverb on the non-master volume channel, and on the master volume channel, it's mixed with a bit of JTM-45 esque flavor to it. It can have a lot of gain, but so far, the way I like the Master volume channel is with the gain dialed back a little, and this make for a very touch sensitive and responsive amp tone. I have a greenback paired with a Mojotone speaker in mine and it's a great pair. I wanted to try Alnico blues in it, but for gain sounds, the speakers in it now are giving great ''tight'' tone with any gain pedal, so I'm a bit reluctant to change them.

10. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

I don't have a Kingsley amp, I have a '66 Pro Reverb and a Dr Z EZG50, but I do have a few Kingsley pedals, including the jester, and they are hands down the best boost/OD pedals made today...they are no different than a true OD section to your clean amp...they respond miraculously with swapping different tubes...they are the only pedals that become part of your amp. The insides are impeccable and beautiful work. So, I would have to say, by extrapolation that his amps must be nothing short of brilliant! Psyched to try one one day

11. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

My former band mate had one. It was loud and sounded great.

12. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

I have a couple of the Kingsley pedals. No Kingsley amps.
    What a great amp world - So many amp builders nowadays, it's a buyers choice, so choose wisely.

13. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Supporting Member

Yes they look great. I love the copper face plate. I don't own a Kingsley amp but would love to. It's just not in my budget right now. I've been Jones'n for a Tone Barron.

In the mean time I bought a Kingsley Jester. Best OD/Boost pedal I've ever owned. I just love the thing.