Kingsley...great gear, greater customer service

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by metz420, Feb 3, 2012.

1. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

I recently scored a Kingsley Jester from a fellow TGP'er and had my mind blown when I gave it my first real test run on Tuesday. Being the gear tweaker that I am, I didn't waste any time opening the sucker up to test out some different tube combinations.

15 minutes into the tube swap, my heart sunk as I cracked and broke one of the tubes upon extraction. After demonstrating all the uses of the f-word to my two boys, I managed to get the tube out, replace them with some of my favorites NOS tubes, plugged 'er in and.....nothing. The lights were on but no one was home. Heartbreak #2.

In a panic, I desperately fired off an email to Simon asking for any quick tips and his process for sending the pedal back for repairs (I was convinced this mess was out of my league at this point). Simon very graciously (and promptly) shot back several responses in an attempt to help me troubleshoot. In his last note, he even offered to fix the pedal straight away if we couldn't solve the issue.

As luck would have it, the NOS tubes I tried were dead!! Got some back ups, threw them in and TONE!!!! Even with some cheap preamp tubes the Jester sounds amazing. Crisis averted.

Long story short, customer service like this these days is SO rare that I am really taken a back when someone like Simon takes the time to help me solve a problem and even offer fix it himself. So, Kingsley has my endorsement. Hands down, a top notch guy and company. I haven't posted a review or video yet but, for those that have heard his line of gear, you know these things speak for themselves.

Thanks again, Simon.

2. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Simon is great! I have a Jester on my small club board. Waiting for your old Plexi-Tone to compare to it. While I love the Jester, it's not really a Marshall-like sound.

I do find it bright enough to keep the treble almost off into a Fender combo. And I have version 2.

3. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I have dealt with Simon myself. Top shelf guy. Seriously knows what he is doing and very good to deal with.

4. strattitude

strattitude Member

Yes he is very helpful, and seems like a great guy. I love his playing too. The tone I get through my Kingsley Bailey amp is simply the best tone I have ever had! I want a Minstrel to go with it at some point.

5. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Kingsley Jester and Deluxe 32 owner here. Best tones of my long guitar playing life. I changed the tubes in my Jester to Mullard 12AT7s. Love it. I am a huge fan of verge-of-breakup tones, and with the lower gain tubes in the Jester I can get a ton of subtle shades. I often use my Jester as a mostly clean pre-amp in front of a clean Fender style amp. Warms and fattens everything up. The Jester is super versatile. I have made a pest of myself with Simon many times, and he is always helpful, gracious, and kind. World class in every way. The Kingsley Bailey is on my very short list of amps to own.

6. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Kingsley customer service is awesome for sure.

7. musichead1956

musichead1956 Member

I recently got my Jester back from a factory V2 upgrade. Simon and Christine are the best to deal with customer service wise, and Simon's pedals are a work of art! Both simple and powerful at the same time! :aok

8. Unn

Unn Supporting Member

Agree , Kingsley customer is really great and his pedals are great too!

9. mojazzmo

mojazzmo Member

Hey James, I have a Kingsley Deluxe 52, custom 2 channel 2x12 but have been wanting a smaller 1x12 because so many recent gigs don't require the power. Enter the Bailey. I loved it the first time I heard it. I finally took the plunge and ordered a custom Bailey last week. Simon is going to put it into a smaller 1x12 cab closer to a deluxe reverb size. It will be the first Bailey he's made into a combo. It should be ready in about 6-7 weeks. I will be doing several demos when I get as these are total sleeper tone machines. Simon is definitely one of the best in the biz.