Kingsley Jester has just knocked me out

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGigPig, Dec 31, 2008.

1. nacho_grande

nacho_grande Member

I couldn't wait and contacted Simon. My Jester is on queue. ;)

2. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I think you'll be happy with it.

3. harpinon

harpinon Member

I have the jouster myself. It really is awesome, but I have been thinking about letting it go!
    I notice a slight mid bump when its on and I really prefer a more transparent tone.

If I do trade it off, I'm sure ill regret it.
    .........yet I may.

4. nacho_grande

nacho_grande Member

Thank you! :) Do you think I should have a booster alongside Tim, Extreme Cream and BB+ to bump my Jester?

5. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

I don't feel the Jester needs any boosting. Flip the OD switch to the third position, crank the gain, step on the mid-boost post-OD booster, and enjoy some fairly high-gain, saturated, EVH-like overdrive.

6. chazz59

chazz59 Member

Did you try the BC 2 tone??? How would they compare?

7. nacho_grande

nacho_grande Member

I heard BC 2 tone is the exact clone of Matchless Hotbox.

8. nacho_grande

nacho_grande Member

@Jeff: So the boost side is very powerful on Jester. Those 3 stage gain and boost switch are also seem very promising.

Some of the well known tube preamp pedals are way expensive than Jester, but I'm sure that's because most of them are out of production. I didn't see such craftsmanship inside the pedal even in my Sampson era Matchless Hotbox which does cost around $500 ebay at the moment. I'm happy to stop by this thread and gather information about Jester.

9. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

^ I think you will be pleased with the Jester. I don't know of anyone who has not been. It may not be your cup of tea, but I think you will find it is like playing through a high-quality tube amp--because that is what it is: the front end of one of Simon's amps. It will probably make all of your other non-tube pedals sound like, well, pedals...

10. nacho_grande

nacho_grande Member

Actually I'm considering to have Jouster and Juggler too. Yes, I have a GAS problem a bit (Who doesn't around here?).

By the way, I dug ToneBaron for 2 days on the net and it seems like offering many tone opporunities. I'm a big fan of my Matchless and have been thinking about having Shiva or Fuchs ODS besides it. But now, I got poisoned by Simon! :)

11. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

The Jester will be great, especially the top end boost mode which works well with EL84 Voxy amps.
    The Juggler aslo works well to give a more dynamic, dumble-esque feel.

You should also check out the Minstrel (simplified Jester) as its tweaked mid setting might work even better for you (I always use the boost with my Jester OD so I too am thinking about a Minstrel).

12. nacho_grande

nacho_grande Member

@TheGigPig: Since we use EU 240VAC here, I need a power supply for my incoming Jester. Do you recommend The GigRig Generator for tube preamp pedals run under 12VAC 1A?

13. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

Not TheGigPig but the Generator is a DC supply. Dan recommended seperate AC supplies for each of my four Kingsley pedals. I bought mine in a UK electronics store.

14. nacho_grande

nacho_grande Member

@Tube Guy: Thank you very much. I just checked the Genarator is no use. Voodoo Lab AC Power has 2x 9AC (600mA ea) and 2x 9-12AC (1200mA ea). That's the one which can supply both Kingsley at the same time.

15. nacho_grande

nacho_grande Member

Yay! My Jester is shipped already :) Simon and Christine are wonderful people.

16. nacho_grande

nacho_grande Member

Jester has just arrived and as a first impression; I'm totally amazed about the tones and dynamics. It covers more gain territory than I expected-which is great for sure. I put a Plush Extreme Cream in front of it and bam! Those liquid violin leads came into the scene. Simon is a magician, period!

17. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Congrats, the fun is just beginning!

18. archtop

archtop Member

Congrats. I'm running a Jester and a Juggler off a CIOKS AC10, and they seem to run just fine. The specified 800mA is conservative on Poul CIOKS part.

19. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

It's not a Jester but I just ordered a Juggler (Ch1) in a Minstrel chassis for use as a pedal come preamp. Can't wait to test it out!

20. archtop

archtop Member

That's cool that he'll build to your request like that.

What I think would be awesome would be a big Kingsley preamp with clean, mean and scream all in one box, and with each footswitch selecting a preamp and de-selecting the other preamps simultaneously.