Kingsley Jester has just knocked me out

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGigPig, Dec 31, 2008.

1. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Supporting Member

Thanks, It will be interesting. I've never been much of a pedal guy. I usually prefer amp distortion. There seems to a trend towards "amp in a box". I hope I like it.

2. bluetweed

bluetweed Member

BTW when is the Harlot coming?

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I have not been a fan of od pedals at all... In fact, most of my amps are channel switchers......the jester is in a different league than any od pedal I have ever had...I'm sure the jouster is equally as toneful....

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Still loving my Jester, only had it a month. Much more versatile than I thought it was going to be.

5. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

I sold my Jouster this week, post it tomorrow- sad to see it go. Jester stays on the board though (2 years now!)

6. jzgtrguy

Jester arrived today...more to follow

7. doublee

doublee Member

Thanks for the post!

8. jzgtrguy

I fired it up for about 30 minutes last night and fiddled around with the switches while I noodled around on the guitar. I'm playing a Port City Pearl 100 head through a Port City mini 212 loaded with WGS ET 65's.

My first impression is that it is an amazingly versatile pedal. From practically no gain at all to lots. The boost section is nice too. The boost didn't strike me as super transparent but is eq'd so I could dial in something that sounded a lot like a Marshall to something "D" like. Combine all that with the very effective tone controls and you can dial in a very wide range of gain and tone. Obviously it's only 30 minutes but all in all I was impressed. I kept going back to the middle position on the OD side. I was also amazed at how much louder it could make my amp if I turned the volume up. It's just so well thought out. It's not too big now either. So in the end it now feels like I have two amps. Is it the end all of OD pedals for me? I don't know yet. I need to spend more time on it to find the settings I like.

Sorry to be so scattered...just throwing thoughts out on the page...

9. sksmith66

sksmith66 Member

thanks for sharing. I am actually gravitating towards OD in position 2 myself lately with the gain down around 10:30 or so. sounds good through my Twin set super clean with a touch of reverb from the TC hall of fame. basically gives me a two channel setup with a boost. great for everything from grant green to scofield.

I'd be curious what sort of settings are people using for a "d" type or zen drive type tone.

10. buchla300

buchla300 Supporting Member

I love OD setting 1 with the gain pretty high. Really sensitive and a nice amount of low end, but it's all good. It is hard to make it sound bad and can get me most places I might need, so I have no need for anything else (bar an OD and a Fuzz I like on occasion from "ironman" in the UK)

11. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I found the Boost to be just OK with the stock tube, but when I changed it to a Mullard or an Amperex, it made a huge difference in detail, clarity and the differences between the 3 settings were much more obvious. Same with the OD.

BTW, the OD side uses the first 2 halves of the first tube and the first half of the second tube, with the Boost using the 2nd half of the 2nd tube. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  12. Yossi

Yossi Member

My current setup with the Jester is really nice. First I have a Dunlop wah, pedal then, a Wren and Cuff 70's fuzz going into the Jester and then from the Jester I'm going into a Mythical Overdrive(Klon -clone) and then into a MXR Carbon copy delay, then into a boomerang III then into two amps, a Two Rock Studio Pro 35 powering a Jenkins Sound Shop 2x12 cab with greenback speakers. The second amp is a Bluetron Blueverb, (currently unavailable new). With this set up I can cover most anything I can think of.

Having the Jester gives a depth and dimension that I feel more so than with the other pedals that I own; and I have quite a few. After trying different ODs, (and they all have subtle qualities that make them somewhat different from each other), I think the Jester stands apart because of the "feel thing".

Granted, I'm lucky to be using great amps too and they have a lot to do with the final tone, however, the Jester makes them sound their best.

13. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Thanks good info.
    Does the 1st OD position use 1 half of 1st tube, the 2nd OD position use 1st and 2nd of first tube, and 3rd OD position use 1st tube and half of 2nd tube?

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Yes, exactly - it's gain-staged, cascading. This comes right from Simon.

And of course, the Boost uses the 2nd triode of the 2nd tube. The mid-range boost with a Mullard is a thing of sonic beauty for guitars.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  15. jzgtrguy

I've noticed in the short time I've had the pedal that the gain stages over lap. Stage 1 set high over laps stage 2 set lower and the same for stage 3 but they all have a slightly different sound and feel. Must be the way the tubes stack.

The Tone controls are awesome. With the pedal engaged I just use the tone controls on the pedal and leave my amps controls pretty much straight up.

16. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Yes, the 3 gain settings do overlap, but because of the additional tube stages, they have their own unique flavor even with matched gain levels.

Plus, the OD feeds into the Boost and not vice versa, so you get a nice 'lift' with the Boost engaged after the OD, versus the Boost goosing and saturating the OD. I prefer that myself. It's a tiny bit like a compressor lift depending on how you set the Boost level.

17. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I'm still using my original version 1 Jester.
    My all time favorite easily.

I have to say though outside of the treble control there is not a big, even very noticable, change in EQ from 0 to max on the Bass and Mid controls.

18. sksmith66

sksmith66 Member

really?. my V1 jester the mid control is highly reactive. and the bass and treble basically just control the extreme ends of the spectrum.

19. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

On the latest version I find all eq knobs have a nice range that they adjust.

I have been mainly sticking on od1, sometimes od3. I love the gain range on od1. I have been boosting mine on od1 with a Timmy for solos or when the song calls for more gain and girth.

For me I wish the boost was before the overdrive section. Where its at now its a nice solo boost, but most of the time I want a saturation boost, hence using the Timmy. I also with the 3 OD sections were footswitchable, its hard to just pick one.

Overall loving the jester, its blown me away.

20. cuseman731

cuseman731 Supporting Member

Man, now I want to check out a Kingsley!! I am thinking about selling some pedals to get either a Jester or Page to give me tube amp breakup at lower volumes for playing at home. Jester is interesting because of the different OD settings and the boost. But I am wondering if I might be just as happy with the Page for a little gain and boosting it with other pedals (Timmy, Blue Note, Screwdriver, Box of War). Plus, it will save some space on my board.

How does the Jester take fuzz? Anyone use it with a Civil War Muff or Screwdriver?

Thanks.