Kingsley Jester has just knocked me out

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheGigPig, Dec 31, 2008.

1. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Selling my Jester Wicked Cheap if anyone has been looking to try one out. I love the Kingsley pedals but I have fallen into the loop of paying more attention to pedals than playing: trying to go back to one fuzz/delay and amp.

2. GASaholic

GASaholic Member

I've decided I'm going to go for a small enclosure Jester. I like to keep the two other channels on my Mark V fairly heavy so hopefully this will be the low-gainer to end all low-gainers for my clean channel. I've just sold my Tube Driver to make room for it.

3. Yossi

Yossi Member

It improves my Wren and Cuff 70's fuzz. I tried it out recently and was very happy with the results. I would think that it would be fine with yours too.

4. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I had a great rock, bluesrock gig today and I used my Jester for probably half of my solos... I play a customized Randall/Egnater modular tube amp and the Jester through my clean channel sounds as good as my overdrive channel... Just different....it's like having another lead channel... The tones and depth are just amazing....it's not just a pedal. It's a tube preamp channel

5. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Supporting Member

What you said. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and it is a very versatile pedal. I'm using it as an over drive channel.

6. cmcrawford

cmcrawford Member

Is the page boost comparable to the boost half of the Jester? I own a jester and wish you could select the order of the boost. I read in an earlier post that Simon states it would not work so I am curious to know if anyone is using a separate boost (klon, page or other) before the Jester.

7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I run a Timmy before my jester, works great. My Tubescreamer works well as a boost before the jester too. I don't use the on board boost of the jester much, though I think it would be a useful solo boost.

8. cmcrawford

cmcrawford Member

Just received a Tim pedal and put it before my Jester and wow....sounds really nice. I think I found my favorite two pedals.

9. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

Would you say that the boost side of the Jester is like (or identical) to the Page?

I've yet to find a demo of the Jester with the playing setup/sensibility of Simon's luscious playing on the Page demo.

Cheers,
    Thom

miffa likes this.
  10. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I'm sorry, I've never played the Jester or Page. I have a Jouster.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  11. galibier_un

Thanks, Blue Lyne. Can anyone compare the two boosts?

Jack Zucker's first video in his 3 part series gives me a better idea. Of course, I found all of the higher gain YouTubes first (not what I'm most interested in).

This video is quite nicely done - even though like just about every video, it treats the boost section as an afterthought.

Still, it gives me an inkling that I'd bond with it, but I'd love to hear comments about the Page vs. the Jester's boost. I might just call Simon.

... Thom

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  12. galibier_un

Let me phrase my question slightly differently ...

Is there a sonic reason why someone would choose a Jester over a Page/Minstrel combination (or vice versa)?
    • I realize that with two separate boxes, you can reverse the sequence, but is seems as if the boost being downstream of the drive is the preferred position.
    • I'm guessing that the Page uses both halves of the 12AX7 whereas the boost section of the Jester uses only the 2nd half of V2 (with Jester drive using V1a, V1b, and V2a). Is slightly more gain available in a Page over the boost section of a Jester?
    • I also realize that the Minstrel drives the 12AX7 with a FET. I think Simon has very elegantly implemented the front end of the Minstrel, and I don't hear any solid state nasties.
    For some reason, I keep thinking of building out from a Page, but I don't know if this is rational - especially given the space and price savings of a Jester over a Page/Minstrel combo. I keep "leaving" these pedals as I explore the other worthy contenders, and every time I return to these three Kingsleys, it's a breath of fresh air.

Thanks,
    Thom

13. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

:)"I also realize that the Minstrel drives the 12AX7 with a FET. I think Simon has very elegantly implemented the front end of the Minstrel, and I don't hear any solid state nasties."

As do Dumbles I think....:)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  14. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Yes, some did have a FET input for running a piezo equipped acoustic through the amp. The FET provided the proper impedance for the piezo pickup as well as boosting their low output. Some used it to get more gain out of the amp, but I don't think it's part of what most would consider classic Dumble sound. I think most of the well known Dumble users used the non-FET input.

15. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

True..and very player dependant of course..just saying it shouldn't be a deal-breaker..if it sounds good it is good

16. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

Exactly. Not much different than putting a FET boost in front of an amp.

apoyando likes this.
  17. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

Jester is an amazing pedal - much preferred it to Jouster, Minstrel v1, Page + Jouster. I think the boost mproved when I put an NOS Telefunken in as per Thom (Timbre Wolf).

My 'sound' for years was a tele w/ a Diamond Comp and a cleanly boosted Klon into a Goodsell Super17 - with some kind of overdrive between comp and klon. In the end, I still prefer a Klon circuit for that last boost. The Jester is clearly the best OD - it could do KOT, it could do Zendrive, could do all but fuzz and more organically - dialed in w/ the EQ easily and perfectly. With the Telefunken the Jester clean boost is pretty awesome, but not quite the feel of the Klon circuit (I know already, right?).

If I remain in Kingsleyworld I'd like a small box Jester w/ the same eq and no boost - followed by a Klon (or perhaps Tumnus) - would it still require 2 tubes? Haven't tried the Harlot -maybe that's the one.

18. galibier_un

Yes, a booster-less Jester would still require two tubes. It uses one and a half triodes, with the unused half of the 2nd triode being dedicated to the boost.

This is essentially I was questioning:
    • Is the drive part of the Jester better than the Minstrel (3 triode halves used by the Jester drive vs. two triode halves + a FET front end in the Minstrel).
    • Does the Page benefit from both halves of a triode when compared against the boost section of the Jester which only has one triode section available.
    ... Thom

19. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

In my opinion, the drive part of the Jester is undoubtedly better than v1 of the Minstrel - not sure w/ v2.

20. galibier_un

That's helpful. Now all I need (to confuse matters) is for someone to say that the Page is better than the boost section of the Jester and I'll be in total confusion :confused:

I'm really loving Simon's Page demo (and hence to potential for confusion).

... Thom