Kingsley Jester Owners ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by guitarman1956, Jun 22, 2008.

1. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

Any proud Jester owners out there? Can we get a review? And, will this overdrive work for classic and southern rock? The sound clips on their site all tend to be softer jazz/blues, etc. Will it RAWK ???

2. Ken

Ken Member

I have been wondering the same thing...I know a few guys here have had their Jesters for a few weeks now...I would be interested to hear what the Jester owners still think now that they have had the unit for awhile and what types of music they are playing with the unit. There are always positives and negatives with any piece of gear.

3. guitarman1956

guitarman1956 Supporting Member

4. Ken

Ken Member

I'm starting to wonder if there are any new Jester owners here? Is the Jester still shipping??

5. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

I'm guessing that things may have stalled a bit. I imagine the Jester is very labour intensive and it's going to be slow going to get them all out. I just get a little nervous about the whole "list" concept and hoping that I haven't managed to miss Simon's email.

6. Ken

Ken Member

I checked and I'm still about 6 weeks out.

7. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

Hey Ken,

When did you order? Simon told me eight weeks just about eight weeks ago. I figured the same, that they are probably very labor intensive, and it's hard to judge how long a list build will actually take.
    Also, he's got other things to do, like build amazing, labor intensive amps.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Thanks,

James

8. Ken

Ken Member

I ordered on April 27th...When did you order?

9. james russell

Okay, that's pretty funny. I just checked my email, and I got my Jester order confirmation from Simon on April 27.

As other have said, I've got plenty of great sounding gear to play with until then. Nothing really to complain about. I'm just chompin' at the bit and being a gear hog.

Cheers,

James

10. Ken

Ken Member

James, I guess when one of us gets an email that our unit is ready, the other one must be just about next on the list!

11. james russell

Hey Ken,

Sounds about right. I've waited for other pedals in the past and I've been on the King of Tone list for almost two years now. I'm almost getting used to this process. I'm hoping the Jester and KOT will be my last pedals, Ha!:roll

James

12. TRW

TRW Member

Not sure what number I am, but it's looking like I could have mine in 3 weeks.

-T

13. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

Simon just told me that if all goes well I'll have my Jester in a "month or so". I got on the list April 3, 2008.

14. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I just checked in with Simon about my expected time. I ordered at the end of January. He told me about 10-14 days out :BEER

Needless to say, I'm eagerly counting the days. I've got a huge space carved out on my effects board, just waiting for that juicy blue box.

- Thom

15. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I got on the list on May 29...looks like I've got a bit of a wait ahead of me. That's ok. Good things are worth the wait. ;)

16. Vegas Bob

Vegas Bob Member

Will the Jester RAWK...
    Absolutely! At least it does with my stuff. I've been into a Hendrix and Stevie kick since I got the Jester. With my Strat and Super Reverb I can dial in the perfect amp-like breakup.

With different amps your mileage may vary. I've heard my Jester through a few different amps now and the bottom line is this, the Jester will give you incredible control over the amount of gain in several ways.

First, each mode of the three available creates a different zone. Mode 1 is very warm and harmonically rich. There is no change in the basic tone structure of the amp. Mode one has light to moderate gain and breakup.

Mode 2 is more aggressive with a slight bass drop off to keep things from getting mushy. Simon's dialed in the right amount for you. This mode goes from moderate to crunch.

Mode 3 is OD. Once again a little more bass reduction. Very aggressive OD is available.

While most pedals out there change the tone or color space of your amp the Jester doesn't at all. My Super Reverb has been overhauled by Vegas amp genius Dennis Milan. Everybody in Vegas knows Dennis is "the man." When I got the amp back from him I never thought it could sound any better. Most of the time now, I leave the Jester on in one of the modes because it does make it sound better, actually much better. It's harmonically richer. The tone just oozes out...

As more Jesters hit the streets and you get to hear them in person you'll see that as good as the clips on Simon's site are there's no way they can really show you how good it is in a live situation.

All of the amps I've tried it with have been 6L6 based. I'm still dying to hear the Jester through a Marshall or some other EL84 or 34 based amps. Once I do I'll let you know what I think...

17. Jim

Jim Member

I agree with Vegas Bob. I have had mine for about a month. It stays on all the time.

Jim

18. Ken

Ken Member

Jim,
    What amp do you use with the Jester?

19. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

anyone have any clips?

20. Jim

Jim Member

Either my prototype Bluedrive made by Smitty at Bluetron Amplifiers or my Kingsley D-30 made by Simon at Kingsley.

Jim