Kingsley Jester vs Knigsley Minsterl + EP booster?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by woland, May 16, 2015.

1. woland

woland Member

Howdy - I am in a market for tube based OD. Initially I thought about SIB! Cuda but it does not seem to have a lot of range for me (I play mostly lower gain stuff - jazz and some blues) so I thought about Kingsley products specifically Jester. I do have good boost pedal (EP+ by ClinchFX) so Minstrel would be another possibility. Are there any tonal differences or is Minstrel simply Jester sans boost? Any other recommendations for tube-based OD?

2. sixrails

sixrails Supporting Member

I have the Jester and I don't use the boost side at all so in hindsight I probably should have gone with the Minstrel assuming it sounds the same as the Jester. For me, the Jester seems to excel in the mid gain range. I also have an EP Booster which I like a lot but am currently using a Klon KTR For boost.

3. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

I have both Kingsleys and have commented in a couple of other threads- the Jester sounds a bit more spongy or liquid, the Minstrel has a bit more fundamental in the attack, but you can get pretty much the same gain ranges and eq out of both. If you have an EP I would go for the Minstrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

I happen to think the jester boost is the best there is. If you do go w the minstrel, I'd compliment it with the Kingsley page over the ep booster

5. woland

woland Member

Thanks for all the replies so far. Interesting... Jester "spongy and liquid".... that actually is not a bad quality - I tend to go for more of a "liquid" tone in my playing.
    I do like EP+ (I have a custom version where "EP" part is always on and clean boost is switchable). It is a bit of a hit and miss where to place it with different dirt pedals. Currently I use Uber Bee for dirt and I run EP AFTER Uber. So my clean tone is just EP (plus Ego compressor) straight into amp. And for dirt I get the "EP magic dust" over Uber. So perhaps Jester into EP would be a good idea since booster on Jester is good.

6. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

I love the Jester. It's very open, organic and yes, liquid. Its my favourite drive for that nice blues tone.
    The Minstrel is better for rock in my opinion, but still a great pedal. both have the 3 band EQ which is handy. Its one thing i wish the Jouster had.

7. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

I have the older version of the Jester - and like it quite a bit. It is good for low to mid-gain work. Mine works best in low-treble situations. In fact, most of the time the treble control on my Jester is never set past 9:00. Anything higher is too shrill. (Some part of this is due to my LP being a higher-treble LP).

The boost side works well. Historically, I have not used boost a lot. But, it's nice to have it when you do need it.