• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Kingsley Page vs?

BuddyGuit

Silver Supporting Member
I heard a clip of the Kingsley Page on the Kingsley site. It sounds real nice IMO. Does anyone know of anything comparable but not so pricey?

mkr1

Silver Supporting Member
Try the Barber Gain Changer or Rockett Blue Note. I don't own a Page, but I do have two other Kingsley pedals, and the GC and BN do a nicer edge-of-breakup tone than either my Jester or Minstrel.

zztomato

Save your money and buy a Page. You can thank me later. Nicest boost I've ever tried. The entire range of the pedal is perfectly suited to that edge of breakup tone all the way back down to totally clean. It adds a slight amount of compression and has a good tonal range. It's also a really good stacker.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Save your money and buy a Page. You can thank me later. Nicest boost I've ever tried. The entire range of the pedal is perfectly suited to that edge of breakup tone all the way back down to totally clean. It adds a slight amount of compression and has a good tonal range. It's also a really good stacker.
Aren't there like 3 versions? Which do you have?

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
I am smitten by Simon's demo and conflicted about housing a vacuum tube inside a box without ventilation. When you look at specs for electrolytic capacitors, the lifetime is specified as x-thousands of hours at a specific temperature. A good one might be spec'd at 7 to 10,000 hours at 85 degrees C.

Can anyone talk me down off the ledge on this?

Edit to add: the construction is beyond first rate. My only concern is internal heat.

Cheers,
Thom

Last edited:

Abram4235

I am smitten by Simon's demo and conflicted about housing a vacuum tube inside a box without ventilation. When you look at specs for electrolytic capacitors, the lifetime is specified as x-thousands of hours at a specific temperature. A good one might be spec'd at 7 to 10,000 hours at 85 degrees C.

Can anyone talk me down off the ledge on this?

Edit to add: the construction is beyond first rate. My only concern is internal heat.

Cheers,
Thom
the box is vented. I've never had an issue with my harlot. barely gets warm. had it since November 2015

Dandolin

Zombie thread, my bad.

Simon has said--I think on "That Pedal Show" --that the Page is quite a bit more open and dynamic in its breakup characteristics than, for instance, the Jester. Matches my direct experience perfectly. I don't have a Gain Changer, but I do have a Custom Cool, and as much as I love it for low gain, edge of breakup tones, it has been on my mind to sell it ever since I got a Page--only sentimentality has made me keep it thus far.... I could say the same for other low gainers i have authentically loved, but they are by and large gone. The only other pedals I keep around that I use for for their low gain characteristics are some fuzzes/fuzz derived circuits and the ROG Azabache and Peppermill, which I use as tone problem solvers into certain amps more than as gain sources.

As versatile as the Jester is, I can sympathize with the view that various "solid state" pedals can match its tone and feel much moreso than thinking the same about the Page--it really is a special pedal imho.

That said--if even at used prices (I've seen them go for under $200 on the Emporium) it is too rich for your blood, I totally sympathize and I think the Barber low gain pedals are a sensible alternative, as might be the DOD Looking Glass, the ROG pedals I mentioned, or certain other FET based overdrive pedals....

Last edited:

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Zombie thread, my bad.

Simon has said--I think on "That Pedal Show" that the Page is quite a bit more open and dynamic in its breakup characteristics than, for instance, the Jester. Matches my direct experience perfectly. I don't have a Gain Changer, but I do have a Custom Cool, and as much as I love it for low gain, edge of breakup tones, it has been on my mind to sell it ever since I got a Page--only sentimentality has made me keep it thus far.... I could say the same for other low gainers i have authentically loved, but they are by and large gone. The only other pedals I keep around that I use for for their low gain characteristics are some fuzzes/fuzz derived circuits and the ROG Azabache and Peppermill, which I use as tone problem solvers into certain amps more than as gain sources.

As versatile as the Jester is, I can sympathize more with the view that various "solid state" pedals can match its tone and feel much moreso than thinking the same about the Page--it really is a special pedal imho.

That said--if even at used prices (I've seen them go for under $200 on the Emporium) it is too rich for your blood, I totally sympathize and I think the Barber low gain pedals are a sensible alternative, as might be the DOD Looking Glass, the ROG pedals I mentioned, or certain other FET based overdrive pedals....
I think with that pedal show exposure which drove a wait list that the days of seeing a page for under $200 might be over.

Page is next on my list to get after the jouster. I do have the jester and the boost on that is great. The od on the jester does sound a little more congested than the page clips sound like.

Abram4235

Does anyone know if the page and harlot are vastly different? Isn't the harlot a higher gain version of the page? So can't I just lower the gain knob on the harlot to cop the tones of the page?

BerkeleyJones

Does anyone know if the page and harlot are vastly different? Isn't the harlot a higher gain version of the page? So can't I just lower the gain knob on the harlot to cop the tones of the page?
I can't speak to the page, but with the Harlot gain knob low, it is pretty damn clean. With it off, it is very very light drive, almost more boost ish. Huge range in that gain pot.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I think the harlot has more bite to the sound than the page. Page seems smoother to me from the clips.

What I love about the Kingsley pedals is how touch sensitive they are. Simon really shows this in his demos, where you play lightly and it's mostly clean, than dig in and boom here is the gain. I have been working on my right hand technique and the Kingsley pedals make that very rewarding.

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
LOL- did you ever pick one up?
That Vishnu guy started so many Kingsley threads, I've lost track of them all, and I hate to post redundant information.

I picked up a Page and found it to be very nice, but too close to my current best pedal - an RC Booster. The Page was a bit more refined, and seemed to receive my Timmy better, but I got to thinking that for my first Kingsley, I'd be best served with a Minstrel into my RC Booster so I exchanged the Page for a Minstrel.

On one of the other Kingsley threads, I mentioned having traded the Minstrel in on a Digitech Trio +. This was just before the wait time on Simon's pedals went through the roof. I came to the realization that if I can't play in the pocket, no amount of good tone will help me, so in that sense, the trade was a good one.

Flash forward a month, and a local fellow was selling a Pettyjohn Pettydrive. I've grown so tired of buying, trying, being disappointed, and then selling, that the temptation to actually audition a pedal was too great. I played it and bought it.

I can't honestly compare the Pettyjohn to the Minstrel due to the lapse in time. If pressed, I'd say that I still hear a touch of a solid-state signature, but frankly, I'd have to have the two side by side to verify this.

It's the first solid-state drive pedal that I actually enjoy playing and the harmonics unfold beautifully. I'm shocked at how much I like the Chime side. It was the Iron that I expected to bond with (which I did). It's much closer to the Kingsley stuff than it has any right to be. I suspect folks would line up on both sides with respect to these two brands, and the Pettyjohn is certainly easier to power (100mA from 9 to 18V). I haven't bumped it to 18V yet, but the change from 9 to 12 was a noticeable improvement.

I still miss the Minstrel, but frankly, it's my playing that needs an upgrade ;-)

Cheers,
Thom

Last edited:

Abram4235

That Vishnu guy started so many Kingsley threads, I've lost track of them all, and I hate to post redundant information.

I picked up a Page and found it to be very nice, but too close to my current best pedal - an RC Booster. The Page was a bit more refined, and seemed to receive my Timmy better, but I got to thinking that for my first Kingsley, I'd be best served with a Minstrel into my RC Booster so I exchanged the Page for a Minstrel.

On one of the other Kingsley threads, I mentioned having traded the Minstrel in on a Digitech Trio +. This was just before the wait time on Simon's pedals went through the roof. I came to the realization that if I can't play in the pocket, no amount of good tone will help me, so in that sense, the trade was a good one.

Flash forward a month, and a local fellow was selling a Pettyjohn Pettydrive. I've grown so tired of buying, trying, being disappointed, and then selling, that the temptation to actually audition a pedal was too great. I played it and bought it.

I can't honestly compare the Pettyjohn to the Minstrel due to the lapse in time. If pressed, I'd say that I still hear a touch of a solid-state signature, but frankly, I'd have to have the two side by side to verify this.

It's the first solid-state drive pedal that I actually enjoy playing and the harmonics unfold beautifully. I'm shocked at how much I like the Chime side. It was the Iron that I expected to bond with (which I did). It's much closer to the Kingsley stuff than it has any right to be. I suspect folks would line up on both sides with respect to these two brands, and the Pettyjohn is certainly easier to power (100mA from 9 to 18V). I haven't bumped it to 18V yet, but the change from 9 to 12 was a noticeable improvement.

I still miss the Minstrel, but frankly, it's my playing that needs an upgrade ;-)

Cheers,
Thom
Thanks for the detailed update! I seem to recall your comments in another thread about selling it for a trio now that you mention it.

I feel the same way about my Tim pedal that I just picked up. I plugged it into 18v mainly because I ran out of 9v outlets and forgot it can run on 18v until that happened and it was like "wow!". But I keep both the Tim and Harlot on my board because the Tim pushes a TS when I want it, and the TS pushes the Harlot so they perform different duties.

I have a Minstrel arriving this morning and will be able to compare it to the Harlot. My amp is so dark that I really want those TMB knobs but we will see which one wins out. I'll have one or the other for sale this weekend ;-) . If the minstrel doesn't work out, I'm going to change my order with Simon from a minstrel to the harlot with the bass cut switch and be done with it.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the detailed update! I seem to recall your comments in another thread about selling it for a trio now that you mention it.

I feel the same way about my Tim pedal that I just picked up. I plugged it into 18v mainly because I ran out of 9v outlets and forgot it can run on 18v until that happened and it was like "wow!". But I keep both the Tim and Harlot on my board because the Tim pushes a TS when I want it, and the TS pushes the Harlot so they perform different duties.

I have a Minstrel arriving this morning and will be able to compare it to the Harlot. My amp is so dark that I really want those TMB knobs but we will see which one wins out. I'll have one or the other for sale this weekend ;-) . If the minstrel doesn't work out, I'm going to change my order with Simon from a minstrel to the harlot with the bass cut switch and be done with it.
Very curious to see what you end up with. I was very close to ordering a minstrel, but opted for a jouster. Love the harlot and jester. The harlot has the edge for me, just love the bite.

Abram4235

Very curious to see what you end up with. I was very close to ordering a minstrel, but opted for a jouster. Love the harlot and jester. The harlot has the edge for me, just love the bite.
I literally just got it in the house and of course I have to run an errand. Ah!! The wait is killing me.

Realistically though, probably a good idea to let it warm up before using it. I'll definitely report back with my thoughts a little later.

Trending Topics